• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are you going to buy an EXTRA copy of the PHB?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
For me, I've ordered a set from Amazon, but I expect it will show up at least a week after launch, so I'm getting a second PHB at my FLGS.

I have enough friends who'll want one but won't buy immediately, so I can give them a good deal on it when the time comes.

--Steve

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
The only person in my group not boycotting 4e happens to be the DM. We all refuse to buy it but him. So if he wants to play it, it will either take a LONG time w/ everyone sharing the one book, he'll have to buy extras, or we'll keep playing 3.5 (or better yet, Pathfinder or C&C).

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Wulf Ratbane said:
Don't be silly. Not really much point in rehashing the whole "piracy" argument, since the decision makers have already weighed in. WotC books are available in PDF, after all.

The folks who won't buy a PHB in favor of the SRD are probably just going to look for a pirated copy anyhow.

Though, I've never yet met the gamer in person who is invested enough in the game to want a PHB that he wouldn't actually buy a PHB. Sure, I've had players who just never felt the need to own one at all. But I've never met one who wanted a PHB but was too cheap to buy one.

I'd happily match the SRD's usefulness as a way to keep gamers engaged against "lost" sales, all damn day. Browse the SRD at work? Sure. Browse a PHB at work? Not so much.

(I own 4 or 5 PHBs, for the record.)

EDIT: Oh, and "gotcha."

I don't necessarily disagree with your thinking here. But seeing someone say that makes the suits nervous. They tend to be a jittery bunch and are likely holding up the GSL because of these concerns.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
I plan to buy a copy for each of my players, simply because I am a sap. I host and buy most of the materials for the game for love of the hobby. I haven't really spent a lot of money on miniatures in the past or third-party publications (since we only use core rules), so I don't feel too incredibly bad about buying extra copies. :)

Chibbot

First Post
I ordered the box set on Amazon, will almost definitely also be buying a copy from a LGS, so I can have it the same day/over the weekend. When the set arrives, I will either just have 2 PHs or give the "used" one to my so.

abeattie

First Post
epochrpg said:
The only person in my group not boycotting 4e happens to be the DM. We all refuse to buy it but him. So if he wants to play it, it will either take a LONG time w/ everyone sharing the one book, he'll have to buy extras, or we'll keep playing 3.5 (or better yet, Pathfinder or C&C).

Dude.. seriously? Do you read how mean that sounds?

The guy who runs our game wants to play 4e, but screw him -- he has to buy everything and make all the investments of time and money before we'll give it a chance.

I feel bad for your DM man.

Mercule

Adventurer
Wulf Ratbane said:
Though, I've never yet met the gamer in person who is invested enough in the game to want a PHB that he wouldn't actually buy a PHB.
I've met one or two who were sufficiently "anti-corporate" that they refused to buy WotC product and instead went with the "Pocket SRD" (or whatever it was) and all third party supplements. Apparently, their entire group was the same way.

Personally, I've got better places to tilt windmills than the business side of my hobby, but it takes all kinds.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
On topic: I'm buying two of the gifts sets from Amazon. One for me and one for a friend whose finances tend to fluctuate. He paid me in advance and I ordered for him.

When DMing, I generally prefer that players purchase and bring their own PHB. Players can share as long as it doesn't become too disruptive. I also require players to own the book in question whenever they want to play anything non-core and bring it to the table for review.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads