• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Are you going to buy the new 2024 D&D Core Books

Do you plan on getting the new D&D core books in 2024?

• Poll closed .

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
No, I'm almost certain I don't plan to continue development for D&D 5e+ as a 3PP. So I don't see myself purchasing any 5e books past or future. The only current D&D books I purchased was the 3 book set for the update to Spelljammer, and only because I developed and published Arcane Armada, a collection of 13 custom Spelljammer ships, the binary star system inside a nebula as the setting for these ships, the races and nebula monsters found in the region - is the content of the book. Honestly, it isn't selling all that well, and any further development into 5e, required this book to have some success to move forward. No real success, means no more further development. So I don't see a need to continue. I am more interested in Starfinder RPG, Pathfinder RPG 2.0 and OSE, and will continue to develop for those systems not D&D 5e+. My non-5e supplements, modules and map products sell well.

Incenjucar

Legend
No, I'm almost certain I don't plan to continue development for D&D 5e+ as a 3PP. So I don't see myself purchasing any 5e books past or future. The only current D&D books I purchased was the 3 book set for the update to Spelljammer, and only because I developed and published Arcane Armada, a collection of 13 custom Spelljammer ships, the binary star system inside a nebula as the setting for these ships, the races and nebula monsters found in the region - is the content of the book. Honestly, it isn't selling all that well, and any further development into 5e, required this book to have some success to move forward. No real success, means no more further development. So I don't see a need to continue. I am more interested in Starfinder RPG, Pathfinder RPG 2.0 and OSE, and will continue to develop for those systems not D&D 5e+. My non-5e supplements, modules and map products sell well.
Out of curiosity, have you tried any system-agnostic or multi-system versions of your work, or does that just dilute things into being ignored?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Out of curiosity, have you tried any system-agnostic or multi-system versions of your work, or does that just dilute things into being ignored?
Are you talking Arcane Armada? How would one develop a Spelljammer-like game fully divorced from D&D? Spelljammer as a setting and basic rules are strictly D&D, hence why I had to publish Arcane Armada as a DM's Guild product. It seems too intrinsically tied to D&D, if not specifically 5e. I'm not aware, how I could publish Arcane Armada as non-D&D or as game system agnostic. There are settings I've published like Kaidan that though designed for Pathfinder, could easily be redeveloped for PF2, OSE, even D&D 5e - settings like that can be supported outside, but not Spelljammer, I don't believe. You'd need to sell me on whatever idea that would allow this - I'm just not aware...

Last edited:

Incenjucar

Legend
Well by looking at doing Kaidan for OSE is my first venture towards a system agnostic or multi-system version. I'd only previously published it for Pathfinder 1.0, and I extensively used the Character Archetypes of Pathfinder, which will need to be re-developed so as not to be overly archetype based. I deeply embedded Kaidan with Pathfinder. So I have to undo lots of the content to separate the content from Pathfinder venacular. I'm actually unaware of how I could publish it purely as system agnostic. Some of it are subsystems that aren't duly connected to an existing game system... what are your suggestions to doing that? I'm unaware on how to move forward with such a concept.
For ships, for example, if you have a map of the ship, speed, durability, etc. you can use "easy/average/hard" difficulty for things like DCs and equivalent, "light/medium/heavy" for armor, and use standard movement "squares" for size, which will be 5' or 1-2 yards in most cases. You can then have a sidebar for what that means for major systems. A evil brain-eating squid ship could easily be in Spelljammer, Starfinder, or even Star Trek and Star Wars settings as long as the GM doesn't have to translate out of D&Disms before translating it into the system of choice.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Are you talking Arcane Armada? How would one develop a Spelljammer-like game fully divorced from D&D? Spelljammer as a setting and basic rules are strictly D&D, hence why I had to publish Arcane Armada as a DM's Guild product. It seems to intrinsically tied to D&D, if not specifically 5e. I'm not aware, how I could publish Arcane Armada as non-D&D or as game system agnostic. There are settings I've published like Kaidan that though designed for Pathfinder, could easily be redeveloped for PF2, OSE, even D&D 5e - settings like that can be supported outside, but not Spelljammer, I don't believe. You'd need to sell me on whatever idea that would allow this - I'm just not aware...
What makes your product Spelljammer, in a legal sense?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
The mechanics in the ships themselves comply to Spelljammer mechanics - Spelljamming helms, the speed of ships, ship combat, etc. Space working like Spelljammer space - air envelopes (that need to be re-atmosphered periodically), the gravity plane, the existence of Astral Space & Wildspace, so inclusions on some D&D cosmology. Beyond that, it's just sailing ships in space visiting star systems and planets, which may not be exclusive to Spelljammer... I don't know how to effectively separate some of the mechanics to make it work outside of Spelljammer itself and be safe from C&D for being too close. Plus it was published at the DM's Guild, so technical the DM's Guild is the publisher, not me...

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The mechanics in the ships themselves comply to Spelljammer mechanics - Spelljamming helms, the speed of ships, ship combat, etc. Space working like Spelljammer space - air envelopes (that need to be re-atmosphered periodically), the gravity plane, the existence of Astral Space & Wildspace, so inclusions on some D&D cosmology. Beyond that, it's just sailing ships in space visiting star systems and planets, which may not be exclusive to Spelljammer... I don't know how to effectively separate some of the mechanics to make it work outside of Spelljammer itself and be safe from C&D for being too close. Plus it was published at the DM's Guild, so technical the DM's Guild is the publisher, not me...
But wouldn't using a different system make it a different product?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well I'm not a legal expert, so the answer to your question, could be a 'maybe'? I'd hate to rely on it being a different system, and not get an irrate response from Hasbro/WotC. I wouldn't mind publishing it outside D&D, but apprehensive about what is legally safe - I don't know...
As an aside, I did publish as an imprint under Rite Publishing, the Kaidan setting of Japanese Horror (PFRPG), I own the IP, I share in Copyright, I authored some of the work. Despite it being Pathfinder 1.0, since I fully own it, I can re-develop and publish it for PF2, for D&D 5.1e, for OSE, whatever game system I desire to publish it for. Being that that is the case, and being that Kaidan as a Pathfinder 1.0 product won't get more development, as is, but I can certainly continue its development for other editions, and other game systems. Right now, I am contracting someone with extensive OSE development experience to do a conversion of Kaidan to OSE, so as to widen the use of Kaidan for players in other systems. I see a need for a GM's Guide and Gazetteer to Kaidan for OSE, an Advanced Players Guide to shoehorn in my Asian classes into OSE better, and a Kaidan Bestiary of 20 - 36 monsters (something that never got published, but is a definite need).

I also see myself creating some map set books with typical locations of Kaidan - ryokan roadside inn, yakuza gambler den/brothel, formal bath house and inn, a kabuki theater, a teahouse restaurant, a rural shrine, an urban temple & garden, a samurai walled manor, yakuza gang house, typical mercantile shop, a kimono and silk dyer shop, a weaponsmith, a typical rice farm and home, a border fort. I could also see a book of exotic maps locations for Kaidan, like my undersea sea dragon city of Ryukyo, a lord's castle and palace grounds, a wilderness village of henge and tengu, a Kappa pond and underhill complex, an isle of the dead (for undead encounters). Of course these latter books would be compatible with any Asian fantasy game system and setting.

So Kaidan is an easy and legally safe conversion. Arcane Armada is less so, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Remove ads