• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are you going to play 3.0 or 3.5?

which version will you play?

Votes: 27 21.6%

Votes: 98 78.4%

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]

Though I'll continue to run my shades campaign (19th-level shade PCs are trying to conquer the FR) in 3.0 until I can convert all of it (e.g., FR PrCls) in one fell swoop.
I might change the spells already, though...

Arnwyn

First Post
Nope, not so easy question. As Dimwhit notes above, you need a "hybrid" option.

My players refuse to buy new PHBs - however, I'm buying the revised MM because of the beefier monsters, and using that (along with the new DR rules that come with it, for example). I'm also using the SRD for all the new magic item modifications.

Finally, I think I'll get the PHB and "errata" all the spell changes for my players (I'm sure they'll appreciate that :p) when it comes up...

VorpalBunny

Explorer
We've already swtiched over to 3.5 in my group, but I'll be keeping some things from 3.0 that I liked better.

So while I picked "3.5" in the poll, the best answer would probably be "a mix of the two, but mostly 3.5."

JoeGKushner

First Post
I agree that there needs to be a middle ground or an other.

I'm seriously looking at adding action points, reputation and occuptations from the d20 Modern system to my 3.5 campaign.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
You left off an option for "I still haven't made up my damn mind and I'm waffling so much it's making me dizzy. And pissed."

Too wordy?

My real answer is that we are not converting for our current campaign, which will be over in the next couple of months anyway.

I also won't be switching over for the RttToEE game that I'm running about once a month because that group is much more comprised of "casual gamers". Not all of them even have a 3.0 PHB and I'm certainly not going to ask them to buy another one. They have a relatively weak grasp of the rules as it is. No need to make it worse by switching mid-stream.

The real question for me is will I switch when we pick up my Faded Glory campaign again (perhaps a couple months from now) and, like I said, I still don't know.

I'm waffling because while I like some of the rules changes, I'm not sure that it outweighs the fact that I don't like some of the changes, I'll have to spend the money on the new books (which is a fairly minor issue, but I could spend that money on d20 Modern instead) or the fact that I'll have to re-learn all the minor tweaks to the rules and spells (which is a more major issue).

If somebody wants to say something to help me make up my mind, I'm all ears.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Rel said:
If somebody wants to say something to help me make up my mind, I'm all ears.
Check out the SRD and read the 3.5 debates here on the EN boards. Everything you see about 3.5 that you like, you try to add to your game. Everything you liked better in 3.0, you just keep.

If, after a while, you find that you're using a lot of the 3.5 changes, just pick up the PHB and/or MM at that point (DMG optional, though I'd recommend it).
This way, you won't have to re-learn all at once and you won't waste any money if you find that you aren't using very much 3.5 after all.

So... How's that sound? :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads