• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are you in the RPG closet?

Deepfire

First Post
Sure, everybody I know knows it - even those who are completely uninterested in it :) - my coworkers have to endure the stories of our last games, my parents know since 1984 that I roleplay - I guess my baker does not know it ... maybe I should change that :)

I'm in my mid-40s, a successful graphic artist - I don't know why I should hide an important part of my life to anyone. If they can't cope with it, their loss.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
This deserves a poll.

Don't tell coworkers or random people.

See, there is a difference between geeks and squares. And the people I work with are real square.

athos

First Post
Hi, my name is Dan, and I am a gamer...

I started gaming in 1977. The dreaded AD&D 1st edition came out then, I was hooked. For years all I could do with my spare time was game, it was a life style as much as a calling.

In 1984 I joined the US Army and they briefly broke me of the gaming habit, but lo, I was eventually drawn back to gaming in the early 90's when I got out and became a software developer. Software development is a kind of safe haven for gaming and my D&D addiction spread to Shadowrun and Rifts, it wasn't effecting my work, so I thought I could handle gaming.

When I had my daughter, I got a wake up call, I had to work full time and put her mom through college and a master's program. I just had no time for gaming and I was able to beat my need for an RPG fix with an occassional late night Baldur's Gate session. It wasn't true gaming, but I was able to get by with it.

But then, to my utter shame, I discovered Living Greyhawk and lost all control. I would drive all afternoon to get to game in neighboring states and sometimes as far away as Wisconsin. Conventions were using all my spare money and time, I was happy, but I was hooked. Then I got my daughter involved. I know, what kind of parent am I? We went to conventions all over the US, she met other kids who were already gaming as early as 10 years old, and their parents seemed to be nice, normal, people.

Luckily for me, my main fix was killed by a group of well meaning but inherently evil people known in the trade as WotC. I was DMing at GenCon when they announced 4th edition and that they were no longer going to let us play Living Greyhawk. At first I was shocked, then angry, then I cried, my daughter was livid with rage. It was obvious we needed help, we were both into gaming and we ENJOYED it.

With Living Greyhawk dead, I was able to get some semblance of my life back. No longer was I spending one or two weekends a month at conventions. No longer were my daughter and I going half way across the country in our Escape to play RPGs with strangers. Slowly but surely, we have made the transition from gaming back to ordinary, sober, life.

Now, I occassionally sneak in a game on the internet on OpenRPG, but not when anyone can see me. I keep it quiet. I keep it under control, just an occassional hit now and then. Perhaps one day, I will no longer be a gamer, but for now, I am weak and need my RPGs.

Let this be a cautionary tale to all who want to live the life of a gamer, it may seem like fun at the time, and you may enjoy the hell out of it, but some day, someone will see you gaming, and you will know, know in your heart that you have been labled a "gamer".

JustKim

First Post
I had a couple of bad experiences, so up to now I considered myself to be in the closet. But then when I stop and think about how many people I've recruited to play, it doesn't fit at all.

I think what it really is, is just some feeling of guilt that I'm not doing enough to proliferate the hobby.

renau1g

First Post
I only hide it from co-workers... with whom I share only minimal details of my personal life (my colleagues are a petty, gossipy lot).

My family, friends and wife (as well as past girlfriends) all know of my geeky ways.

Your colleagues? I think almost all workplaces are like this. That said, I have some cool people I work with, but it's never come up. I don't go around and tell people I play video games, that I really, really dig zombies, either movies or books, or that I play D&D. My friends and family know so basically anyone who knows me at more than a superficial level.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
I am of the opinion that I would like to be more active now in the community and more public about it because my friends should not judge me for what I do in my own life.

I used to live in Pullman and game all the time in Moscow. Believe me, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Moscow has a very healthy, very active gaming community--hop on over to Safari Pearl and introduce yourself!

Sylrae

First Post
I let people know if it seems like they'd be interested, otherwise I don't bring it up, but I don't make any effort to hide it.

Sometimes it means I get mocked, I usually respond with how I also like to attend metal concerts and go in mosh pits as well.

I also like to (on occasion) get really really drunk.

I don't think you can pidgeon hole people based on whether or not they like RPGs.

Last edited:

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Well let's see...starting late in the early 80's with D&D. My mum always tongue lashed me about it.

Saying things like, wasted of time, no good, keep wasting your money, trash your mind, etc, etc.

Not too long ago, on her birthday last week. With my sisters (2) present, there was a mixture of mutual respect shown by my family, after 2 decades plus strong...I am still gaming.

Haven't lost my mind, my soul, or my heart. As my mum always feared it would be the case.

Nor did I hide it throughout that time with my family.

Started as a nerd, grew into a geek along the years...currently proud to carry the mantle of gamer, anytime, anywhere.

As for the closet, it became my opened gaming table.;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads