• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

are you more interested in 5e or numenera?

5e or numenera

Emerikol

Adventurer
I own Hackmaster, CoC, and DCC so I'm a rpg addict I think.

I'm working on my own system so maybe I'll end up playing a campaign in that if I finish it.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Sci-fi doens't really catches my eye, monte cook or not monte cook. So I don't really feel compeled to pick numenera, at all, not my favorite genre by far.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
It's a toss up for me. 5E is D&D, or at least I hope it will be. For Numenara, I find the setting compelling, Monte's the designer, and the sample art rocks. On the down side, I'm not a big fan of far-future SF without interstellar travel. I'm probably a bit more likely to buy Numenara, just for the art. I like the very "Out of This World" feel.

Li Shenron

Legend
They are two completely different things...

I am personally not currently interested to buy Numenera because I don't fancy sci-fi RPGs that much, so I'm only generically interested in seeing what settings and mechanical ideas Monte comes up with, but I highly doubt I'll buy the books.

I am interested in 5e as a rules toolset that hopefully will make D&D adventures quick and easy to prepare and run and provides a lot of dial-ability, because I don't want to commit again to DMing 3ed given my limited time.

jbear

First Post
I voted 5e as well.

I think there is a good team behind it who are dedicated to making a really cool game. I just don't think I'll be running the core game, I'll want the add ons to run my style of game which has a tactical combat element far more developed than what is released to date (so I'm guessing that will take some time before that appears, thus I remain interested but not impatient as til then I'm fine as I am).

But that said, having just taken a look at the numenera page, I liked what I read. I have a story in my head that I'd like to see played out in an RPG game which is a mix of futuristic and magic, so who knows. I'll be watching how it develops as well.

Dice4Hire

First Post
5E is a major release by the largest RPG publisher, and will be a force in the industry no matter how good or bad it is.

Nemenera is a minor publication by a famous name.

but more on what the games might be. 5E looking like 1E with more robust characters creation, at the moment, and Numenera looks like it is going pell mell down the path of having classes.

I know this might be the wrong thing to say, but in some way, I feel that D&D is the only system that can still get away with having rigid classes and be of any interest to me.

Now a good open build system would be very interesting to me.

As for the story behind Numenera, it just does not hold water for me.

I think it will be a good game, but I have to go with 5E as more interesting.

arscott

First Post
Monte Cook comes off like an awkward has-been these days. And 5e seems like it's combining the worst bits of each edition.

I love Trail of Cthulhu, so I'll at least consider 13th age. There are a lot of cool ideas there, but I'll have to give it a closer look to see if it's right for me.

Remove ads