• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

are you more interested in 5e or numenera?

5e or numenera

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I'm interested in both.

Tangent: the tone of a lot of responses here has me increasingly DISinterested in the opinions of my fellow gamers. But that's been an accelerating trend for the last few years anyway.

I am interested in 5e more to play, and Numenéra more to run. I'll probably be starting a couple of new long-runnign campaigns soon, and these are my guesses at which systems I'll be using:

[50%] 13th Age: This is what 5e should have been; I'm converting D&D module I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City to 13th age and will use it as a test to see if the system is all that it seems to be. The conversion is certainly easy -- most of the effort is extra work; tying in the Icons and deciding if "roll d6 and if it's a 1 you die" is a good way to play ...

[50%] FATE. I have a group of friends with D&D characters I brought from 3.0 level 7s (in Living Greyhawk) through Red Hand of Doom, Demonweb Pits, Ruins of Castle Greyhawk, all through 3.5 and then into 4e with an epic campaign. Now they're through that, I'm thinking of letting them lose in heaven as a kind of god-level police force. FATE ftw on this one. Although Lords of Gossamer and Shadow (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/937759598/lords-of-gossamer-and-shadow-diceless-role-playing) is appealing too.

[50%] Numenera: I've probably used Rolemaster C&TII, RMC IV, and all his other work for ICE more than I COULD use Numenera, but I like Monte's style and design knowledge, so I'm happy to have KS-d this system and it's high on my list

[20%] Savage Worlds: I've had a concept I'd like to try for a while now, and have been thinking of using SW for it, but 13th age, or Numenéra might suit better. I'm a little concerned about a certain sameness to SW characters and combats after a while, but have had tons of fun playing it

[15%] Godlike: Devil's Brigade: If I want some realistic WW2 with added superheroics and diced I do not have the mental energy to run 2 campaigns, this is go-to material. Very sweet campaign, and fun to read even if you never plan to play. These guys (the real life brigade) were seriously awesome.

[15%] Call of Cthulhu. Because when I ran Beyond the Mountains of Madness, and Masks, it was awesome. Two for two is hard to argue with.

For 5e, I'll be most excited about their organized play. D&D has always been best as a combat-focused "kill stuff and loot their bodies" game, which is a lot of fun to throw into the gaming mix. Not excited to run it, but if it's any good at all, I'll play it!

My wife, who is a great player and GM, has played 5e at a couple of cons, and really likes it -- finds it a good mix of some options without too many -- so I'm giving it a go at Gen Con with a pretty positive, hopeful feel!

Gilladian

Adventurer
I've tried 13th age and not found it to my taste; I am not fond of the escalation die, among other things.

What I'm having fun with right now is Dungeon World. It's a 2d6 system, and has lots of storytelling and shared worldbuilding mechanisms. It can be a handful for the DM, because you do a LOT of in-play development of each scene and the whole plot, but I think it will work well for me.

Numenera, from what I've seen, will be a good game, but I'm not interested right now. We played Ptolus, and my husband didn't much like the setting; he's convinced Numenera will be more of the same. And I've never been really big on mixing my Sci-fi and fantasy together.

5e, I played a couple early playtests, but I've been unimpressed with it. Advantage/disadvantage seems like an annoying gimmick, and otherwise there's just not a lot NEW going on. Maybe I'll change my mind when the game emerges; I'll certainly give it a try.

awindgate

First Post
More interested in Numenera want something easy to run with a cool setting different from dnd.. Still interested in next but got off the boat with 4th Ed. And will have to be really impressed to drop the money on 5ed.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
I'll be running both Numenara, DnD 5, and Dragon Age. Playing Shadowrun 5th ed, and Mutants & Masterminds. And I need to fit in StarWars and Dresden Files somewhere.

Li Shenron

Legend
I would be interested in being a player in Numenera because the setting sounds very cool, but I am completely uninterested in their rules system.

I am still interested in 5e despite some recent setback.

Remove ads