• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Are you ready for 4.5e?

666Sinner666

First Post
I am ignoring Essentials until they stop supporting the REAL 4e. I didn't run far far away from 3.5 just to run back into it three years later.

4EE the little abortion that never should have.

I would be if

1. Gnomes and Half orcs replace Dragonborn and Tiefings in the PHB
2. Barbarians, Bards, Druids and Shamans get in the PHB
3. Skill Points are re-introduced for player characters
4. Several skills are broken down to be less broad
5. +1/2 level to ability checks and skills are removed
6. Action Points work more like Mutant and Mastermind hero points
7. Paragon and Epic leve tiers are reworked so that Paragon Paths and Epic Desitines become optional for the levels covered by those tiers.
8. Backgrounds are included in the PHB
9. The armor and weapons list looks more like 1e and 2e
10. Magic Missile goes back to not being autohit.
11. Deity domains play more of a role in divine character powers and features
12. Introduce Mutant and Mastermind 2e style complications
13. They come up with a completely new and original pantheon that is not a mish mash of pantheon deities from other editions.
14. Additional PC races and classes are each introduced in their own supplement

1. Who cares, lets throw them all in there and call it a party
2. See #1
3. Nah, the revised skill system makes perfect sense and does not take up an entire side of a character sheet
4. See #3
5. It's a math fix when you break it down and needed with the redesigned skill challanges
6. I agree. I like how M&M works hero points and would like to see a similar system for 4e done by WOTC
7. They actually are optional you just loose out on the benefits you get from picking one and get nothing for not picking one...look in the character builder I'm not kidding
8. They should have been. I agree.
9. Never 1e or 2e for very long so not sure what was there that is not now
10. I liked it when you had to roll to hit as well but aparently to many thought otherwise
11. I like not having to worry about what domains my deity has and simply choosing my diety because the tenants match my characters beliefs. Really opens up the classes role play wise I think.
12. Not sure what those are unless you mean the flaw system which I would also like to see in 4e as well. Otherwise I am clueless.
13. Not horribly concerned with where and how the pantheon was made but I can see how those who played many previous editions could get their panties in a bunch
14. Unless they do 30-60 page paperback supplements at a cost of $10-$15 I vote nay to this

Last edited:

Terramotus

First Post
I would be if

1. Gnomes and Half orcs replace Dragonborn and Tiefings in the PHB
2. Barbarians, Bards, Druids and Shamans get in the PHB
3. Skill Points are re-introduced for player characters
4. Several skills are broken down to be less broad
5. +1/2 level to ability checks and skills are removed
6. Action Points work more like Mutant and Mastermind hero points
7. Paragon and Epic leve tiers are reworked so that Paragon Paths and Epic Desitines become optional for the levels covered by those tiers.
8. Backgrounds are included in the PHB
9. The armor and weapons list looks more like 1e and 2e
10. Magic Missile goes back to not being autohit.
11. Deity domains play more of a role in divine character powers and features
12. Introduce Mutant and Mastermind 2e style complications
13. They come up with a completely new and original pantheon that is not a mish mash of pantheon deities from other editions.
14. Additional PC races and classes are each introduced in their own supplement
Takeaways:
  1. You don't like a lot of the new stuff, but you have some sort of idea that it's harder to ban stuff from the PHB from your games, or are unwilling to have those conversations with your group, so you'd like for anything new to be segregated for easy bannings.
  2. Except for the old pantheon and magic missile, or the spiked chain. They have cooties and will irrevocably taint any new edition. You don't like them and nobody else should have access to them either.
  3. Paragon Paths / Epic Destinies did something horrible to you at some point.
  4. Seriously, you want skills to be less broad? I understand liking skill points, but I think you're the only person I ever have seen that thinks its a good idea to require multiple skills to accomplish a single thing like stealth or perception.
  5. You like Mutants and Masterminds, the game that doesn't require a character to have a high strength in order to have super-strength.
I don't mean to pick on you, man, but that's a really really weird list of things to require for you to purchase a theoretical 4.5e, especially since half the things on your list are fixed by saying, "X isn't allowed." And the rest is pretty easy to do with house rules. There really aren't any fundamental rules changes in your list except for the skills thing.

You'd really buy a 4.5e if most of what they did was rearrange what books some things are in and take some stuff out?

Also, Essentials probably is 4.5e. We'll know for sure if there's any Essentials taint in Heroes of Shadow.

drothgery

First Post
Takeaways:
  1. Seriously, you want skills to be less broad? I understand liking skill points, but I think you're the only person I ever have seen that thinks its a good idea to require multiple skills to accomplish a single thing like stealth or perception.
I don't really understand either; the 3.x skill system was a really fine-grained subsystem grafted on to a game that built every thing else out of much bigger chunks. It always seemed like a bit of a disconnect to me.

Remove ads