D&D 5E Are You Running Ravnica/Theros?

Zardnaar

Legend
I just got Theros last week when the dogs finally managed to get it. Thanks Covid.

I quite like the book but idk if I will ever run it more or less as is. Greek themed was an option last game I offered but they picked happy pirates.

It's also an interesting example of other phb races don't exist unless they're world travellers and it doesn't use the great wheel.
I like this, being different is fine espicially for campaign settings.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Considering how so many people think that all races need to be available otherwise it's stifling player creativity, I think it is good to have an example of a setting where not everything is available. I think they only have a half dozen races in Theros.

I haven't played in either setting yet but I have given thought on how to use their expanded faction/piety rules in my campaigns. I do think it would be epic to use both of these settings and the planeshift articles and then run a weatherlight saga style game where the players have an artifact that lets them slip through the planes. Depending on which group I play with though, only some might be interested in that style of game. It would be quite fun to have their opponents really lean into the various colour tropes like vile users of black magic animating the dead, summoning demons, and blasting the players with mind twisting magic and necrotic spells.

Zardnaar

Legend
Considering how so many people think that all races need to be available otherwise it's stifling player creativity, I think it is good to have an example of a setting where not everything is available. I think they only have a half dozen races in Theros.

I haven't played in either setting yet but I have given thought on how to use their expanded faction/piety rules in my campaigns. I do think it would be epic to use both of these settings and the planeshift articles and then run a weatherlight saga style game where the players have an artifact that lets them slip through the planes. Depending on which group I play with though, only some might be interested in that style of game. It would be quite fun to have their opponents really lean into the various colour tropes like vile users of black magic animating the dead, summoning demons, and blasting the players with mind twisting magic and necrotic spells.

Weatherlight saga interesting idea.

I think with There's the few races help make the campaign more distinct. If you allowed PHB races you can end up with parties of no Theros races which I think is a bit stupid.

They're tuning new races fairly high in the mechanics side of things. Comparing Theros to earlier races like Genasi, Tieflings, Aasinmar etc.

Or even Volos Guide.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Yeah, I don't think I'd enjoy running a Theros only game as much if players weren't also into making a character with a Theros race. If they decided they wanted to play as a tiefling, dragonborn, or any kind of elf it would be a bit off putting.

ccs

41st lv DM
ATM? No.
In the future? No to Ravnica (what I know of Ravnica just doesn't sound interesting to me), & maybe for Theros.
I picked Theros up the other week, but I haven't gotten a good chance to sit down & read it in depth. Odds are good though that even if I don't actually run it it'll still get mined for ideas.

I also think that in order to run it it'd help if all the players had a copy.

Zardnaar

Legend
ATM? No.
In the future? No to Ravnica (what I know of Ravnica just doesn't sound interesting to me), & maybe for Theros.
I picked Theros up the other week, but I haven't gotten a good chance to sit down & read it in depth. Odds are good though that even if I don't actually run it it'll still get mined for ideas.

I also think that in order to run it it'd help if all the players had a copy.

Yeah. I have a sneaky suspicion they sell well but very few people use them as is.

Bard of Eloquence is very good but suspect it will turn up more in non Theros games.

Li Shenron

Legend
I don't care for the new mechanics, how is the actual fantasy settings description? How big is the world described and how much details? Like, does the book provide enough material for you to set plenty of adventures in it, does it provide compelling motivations for quests, story seeds, hooks for relationships with NPCs or memberships in organizations?

I've always liked the "ancient greek" theme, but I also have a high standard for fantasy settings books (3ed Forgotten Realms and Rokugan campaign settings books spoiled me), and I am bit skeptic that the Theros book can compare. The SCAG for example felt miserable for my tastes.

Remove ads