D&D 5E Are You Running Ravnica/Theros?

dave2008

Legend
I don't care for the new mechanics, how is the actual fantasy settings description? How big is the world described and how much details? Like, does the book provide enough material for you to set plenty of adventures in it, does it provide compelling motivations for quests, story seeds, hooks for relationships with NPCs or memberships in organizations?

I've always liked the "ancient greek" theme, but I also have a high standard for fantasy settings books (3ed Forgotten Realms and Rokugan campaign settings books spoiled me), and I am bit skeptic that the Theros book can compare. The SCAG for example felt miserable for my tastes.
I can't really help you much as I don't really care to much about the things you care about. However, I find there are interesting story hooks built into the new mechanics like supernatural gifts and piety. The deity entries a really full of flavor and potential hooks IMO.

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't care for the new mechanics, how is the actual fantasy settings description? How big is the world described and how much details? Like, does the book provide enough material for you to set plenty of adventures in it, does it provide compelling motivations for quests, story seeds, hooks for relationships with NPCs or memberships in organizations?

I've always liked the "ancient greek" theme, but I also have a high standard for fantasy settings books (3ed Forgotten Realms and Rokugan campaign settings books spoiled me), and I am bit skeptic that the Theros book can compare. The SCAG for example felt miserable for my tastes.

Still digesting but it's basically a slice of not Greece and a few magical off shore islands that may or may not be there.

I like the book as a campaign setting idk. I like Midgard better but it's about three times the size over two books.

I sort of was looking at a Greek game for current campaign but players picked happy pirates instead.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm working on a Theros game to play next once I finish up my extended Phandalin game currently being run. At this point I might wait until Tasha's Cauldron comes out just to see some of the new stuff brewing (HA! GET IT?!?) but it really depends on how quickly the group wraps up the Phandalin game. They have a Wyvern Tor orc encampment to raid, and then back to Neverwinter Wood see how far through the Dread Ring (aka the Tomb of Horrors) they can get to free the spirits of the land trapped in ethereral.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Just finished a Ravnica game that ran for about 18 months. Really enjoyed the flavor of the different factions, it added a lot of texture to the opponents the party faced.

SuperTD

Explorer
I was set to run a Ravnica game but unfortunately that got put on hold when Covid hit. The plan was for each player to be a member of a secret organisation intent on discovering who House Dimir really are and exposing them to Ravnica at large.

Interestingly, in a standard D&D game I don't like it when every character is a "wacky" race type (I.E non PHB) and prefer most people to play core races. However, In Ravnica the party would be a Centaur, Minotaur, Loxodon, Doppelganger, Elf and Human - and it all felt perfectly reasonable because of what the common Ravnican civilized races are.

Remove ads