• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are your games continuous or episodic?

Are your campaigns continuous or episodic?

• Continuous

Votes: 73 65.8%
  • Episodic

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • 50/50

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 1.8%

Asmor

First Post
Just something I thought about...

In general, are your games continuous (i.e. you always pick up at the beginning of a session where you left off at the last session) or episodic (i.e. adventures are self-contained, with a definite beginning and ending, and the ending of the last does not necessarily lead directly into the beginning of the next)?

There are of course always exceptions, but I'm asking for the general way your games go. If you're a DM primarily, answer for the games you run, and if you're a player primarily, answer for those you play in.

As an example of episodic play, the only example that I really have, take the Xen'drik Expeditions RPGA campaign. You might finish a session immediately after completing your goal (whether returning a stone tablet to some sahuagin or destroying the beetle god), and at the beginning of the next session you're immediately given the hook for the game.

This is as opposed to a continuous campaign, where you'd play through (or at least mention) the intervening portion where you go back to town, rest up, re-equip, etc.

Just to clarify, episodic does not mean that adventures don't tie together at all, just that you don't play through every single moment between them. It's entirely possible to have an episodic campaign with a continuing, over-arching story, like most TV shows.

Last edited:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Continuous for the most part. However, we do handwave some things ... like buying new equipment if it is fairly mundane. In other words, we often say "I'm buying X,Y, and Z for G gold" and the DM responds with "Okay, sounds fair." Not always, but the more mundane the equipment, the more likely a handwave is in order.

We occasionally hit a point where we say, "It's winter, so our party spends time focusing on hunting and gathering wood so the families can stay alive." Then we flash forward to something like spring.

But outside of those examples, continuous.

The_Gneech

Explorer
They tend to be continuous, because the players always want to know every little detail about what happens every day between scenarios.

Personally, I'd rather they were a lot more episodic. I'd rather be doing a series of short stories, than one loooooooong novel (to use a literary analogy).

-The Gneech :cool:

Glyfair

Explorer
Continuous, but episodic has a lot of attraction for me.

One of these days I'm going to run a Pendragon-like D&D game, maybe with a bit of Birthright mixed in. Each year the PCs have one adventure that takes one session. Any other issues take place between sessions over the internet (getting married, starting a family, building a castle, running a business, etc). Family will be important because when you die then your heir will take over.

shilsen

Adventurer
Continuous, with a few clear breaks between certain episodes. My current Eberron game has spanned 6-7 months of in-game time and we've generally played out (even if sometimes in just a few minutes) almost every day of those months at the table. But in a couple of cases, usually involving the PCs taking out a seriously BBEG or completing a major mission/job they signed on for, we have a clear point of demarcation and I may start the next session with "A week later...."

maddman75

First Post
Episodic. It makes each game satisfying, and while you can use an overarching plot you still have each night's game as a self-contained story. There might be the occasional to be continued, but most times when we end we are truly at an ending.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads