Arena of War (Gladiator Recruitment)

Phoenix8008

First Post
I'd be interested in this as well. I'm itching to play some 5E and haven't had a chance to yet. Would we be using full PHB rules or just Basic Rules? (Thanks to Industrygothica for pointing me in this direction since I didn't see this thread anywhere in my search for 5E pbp here on the boards!)

Not sure yet what kind of character I'd play. I did have a fun idea for a halfling beastmaster ranger with a wolf animal companion that he actually gets barding and a saddle for. Would that be workable? Maybe he could have volunteered for the arena to take the place of someone else that had been forced into the games?

sithramir

First Post
I'll try to have a character up by the end of the weekend. Is an attached pdf of the character sheet ok, or would you rather it in a code block?

Let's keep it as a code block. Use something like this:

Name: Taranis FlameTongue

Sex: Male
Race: Half-Elf
Class/Level: Bard/1
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Size: Medium
Type (Subtype): Humanoid (human)
Init: +3
Senses: Normal
Passive Perception: 15

DEFENSE
AC: 15 (12 Studded Leather Armor +3 dex)
HP: 10 (1d8 +2 con)
Saves: Dexterity & Charisma
Special Defenses:

OFFENSE
Speed: 30ft
Melee: Rapier (Finesse) +5 Attack, 1d8+3 Piercing
Ranged: (Hand Crossbow, ammunition, range 80/320, loading) +5 ATK, 1d6+3 Piercing
Special Attacks:
Spells: Attack +5 (Saving Throw DC: 13)
Cantrips Known: Mage Hand, Vicious Mockery (Minor Illusion will be next)
Spell Slots: (1st) 2
Spells Known: Cure Wounds (1st), Dissonant Whispers (1st), Faerie Fire (1st), Sleep (1st)

STATISTICS
Str 8 (-1), Dex 16 (+3) +1 racial, Con 14 (+2) +1 racial, Int 10 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 16 (+3) +2 racial

Traits: I'm driven by wanderlust.
Ideal: Change: Life is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it.
Bond: I am the last survivor of the Seelie Court. It is up to me to ensure their names enter legend.
Flaw: I will never truly trust someone, other than myself.

Skills (Proficient in bold) 3 Bard, 2 Half-Elf, 2 background
Mod Attribute Name of Skill
+5 (dex) Acrobatics
+1 (wis) Animal Handling
+0 (int) Arcana
-1 (str) Athletics
+5 (cha) Deception
+0 (int) History
+3 (wis) Insight
+3 (cha) Intimidation
+0 (int) Investigation
+1 (wis) Medicine
+0 (int) Nature
+3 (wis) Perception
+3 (cha) Performance
+5 (cha) Persuasion
+0 (int) Religion
+5 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+5 (dex) Stealth
+1 (wis) Survival

Languages: Common, Elvish, Halfing, Sylvan, Celestial

Racial Abilities:
Darkvision: Taranis can see in dim light within 60' as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it was dim light
Fey: Resistance on charm saving throws, can't be put to sleep magically
Feats: NONE

Background Abilities: Drifter:
Taranis has spent most of his life moving from place to place, never settling down in one location for long. During his travels, dealt with people of all backgrounds and from all walks of life.

Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Persuasion

Tool Proficiencies: vehicles (land)

Languages: Any two standard languages of your choice

Equipment: A set of traveler's clothes, souvenirs from various places you've called home, belt pouch containing 15gp

Feature: Contacts. Taranis knows someone (or someone knows him) in every place he's been to. You can find a place to hide, rest, or recuperate among people you know unless you've shown yourself to be a danger or too much of a nuisance to them. They will help you as much as they are able, but they will not risk their well-being for you.

Taranis longs for a place to call home. Whether they enjoy moving from place to place or yearn to settle down, the constant moving shapes a drifter's attitudes and ideals. Some develop an insatiable wanderlust and choose adventuring to fulfill it.

CLASS FEATURES
Spellcasting: Charisma DC 13
- Bardic Inspiration (d6) (3 uses)
Proficient: Light armor
Weapons: Simple Weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Tools: 3 musical instruments (Lute, Horn, Flute), vehicle (land)

Combat Gear:
Rapier
Hand Crossbow w/ 20 bolts
Dagger
Staff
Studded Leather Armor

Other Gear:

Traveler's clothes
Lute
Horn
Flute
Belt pouch
50' hempen rope
component pouch
backpack
bedroll
mess kit
tinderbox
10 torches
10 days of rations
waterskin

Money: 45 gp, 5 sp

Weight Carried: xx lbs
Carrying Capacity: 120 lbs
Push/Drag/Lift: 240 lbs

Physical Appearance:
Taranis is slender and stands at 5' - 6" tall. There is no conflict with whether or not he is handsome or where his origins must be from. He is simply beautiful. A perfect painting come to life. He is edged with a glow as if the colors of everything about him wavers. His hair and beard are the reds and orange of a spectacular sunset. As if locks of his curling hair were painted with the glory of the sky when the sun was setting. His eyes are multi-petals of green: jade, grass, shades of leaves as if a green flow had been substituted for the iris of his eyes. He smiles at you joyously and you feel inspired as if that smile was meant for you and only you. One look and you know you will either hate him or love him.

Backstory:
Taranis, Lord of Light and Illusion, future king of the Seelie Court.

sithramir

First Post
I'd be interested in this as well. I'm itching to play some 5E and haven't had a chance to yet. Would we be using full PHB rules or just Basic Rules? (Thanks to Industrygothica for pointing me in this direction since I didn't see this thread anywhere in my search for 5E pbp here on the boards!)

Not sure yet what kind of character I'd play. I did have a fun idea for a halfling beastmaster ranger with a wolf animal companion that he actually gets barding and a saddle for. Would that be workable? Maybe he could have volunteered for the arena to take the place of someone else that had been forced into the games?

Full PHB. Whatever backstory you'd like can work. Even though it's an something like gladiator there will be flush quarters as you "progress" through the games. There will be preliminary matches and some other special things but also political intrigue involved as it progresses and your characters become stronger.

The one benefit here is that you can also roll up alternate characters and have me play them out or even use them as an NPC enemy, etc against each other, etc. The idea is that you can try more than one character but need to stick with what you like in the long run. So if you find what you started with isn't perfect there's some options to have another character "move to the next chapter" so to speak.

I'll post some more once I have time on the weekend to give some description to explain things.

The wolf animal companion is fine and acquiring barding will be possible. You will basically get options for almost any armour or weapon you want. It might be harder if the "mount" dies. It will cost you something to get another since you are not in a forest or you may get something "else", etc.

Phoenix8008

First Post
"We would start at 3rd of 5th level. 29 point buy."

I understand 29 point buy, but did you mean 3rd OR 5th level to start? If so, which one? From your above posts, I assume we can make up multiple characters and post them together and try different ones out at different times, correct?

Oh, and thanks for the effort in putting this together. I've DM'd PBP in the past and I know it's alot of work!

sithramir

First Post
I decided 4th level was where we start. Its right before the next jump in power so you can learn you chars basics before the next tier.

Edit: Yes you can make multiple characters.

Phoenix8008

First Post
If I have a small sized ranger, can I trade the given Longbow from the class itself in for a Shortbow? Also, if we're starting at 4th, how much extra GP do we have to spend on equipment?

Fenris

Adventurer
Count me in as well. I have a couple ideas I would like to play around with. I will get a character up this weekend though.

Edit: Considering a Dwarf battle master (at least as one character). Still figuring this out, but I want to see how he works in play.

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
How do you make the little spoiler window that has the button you have to click to expand and show everything instide of it.??

The display of the replying section is all messed up with smilies covering over so much else and the field I'm typing into goes over into the right column so far I can't see it all sometimes. Is this just me or is it like this for everyone. It's very annoying..

Remove ads