• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arg, Too Many Monster Stat Blocks

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I also print out the stat blocks from the Builder or Compendium and then put them in initiative order. I also use the white space to track damage and conditions for each monster (and use a simple table if there is more than one of each type).

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I used to just print as many as I could on a page at the lowest quality, having copied the stat block from the old monster builder.

Now I use a netbook as my DM screen and I have a tab for power2ool which contains all the statblocks I could ever need, linked to the compendium. I can still print them out if I want, but I rarely need to do so now. I can't say enough good things about that program.

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
I just look monsters up in the Compendium, copy-paste their stats into word, and then cram those stats in to tables with a more efficient-for-my-fantastic-eyesight format, along with the very basics of the encounters I'm running. Depending on the monster, I can fit 1-3 of them on a page.
This is what I do but I use excel.

Ketjak

Malicious GM
I run with a laptop and save old monster builder critters as HTML and save as DDI critters into the same folder, then open the monsters I need for each encounter in new browser tabs.

There's also a fantastic Flash app for creating cards that someone posted here for feedback about a year ago... I'll dig it up when I'm at the laptop (using an iPad right now).

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Now I use a netbook as my DM screen and I have a tab for power2ool which contains all the statblocks I could ever need, linked to the compendium. I can still print them out if I want, but I rarely need to do so now. I can't say enough good things about that program.
I'll add another recommendation for power2ool. It's truly a great website and I use it every time I run 4e.

fuzzlewump

First Post
Nemesis Destiny said:
I used to just print as many as I could on a page at the lowest quality, having copied the stat block from the old monster builder.

Seconded. It's copy paste but better and easier.

Edit: thirded*

Remove ads