• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Armageddon 2089

brun

First Post
I'm currently readind the whole book. I'm not finished yet, but here's what I think so far.

The rules are good, the setting is wonderful and appropriate.

Discussing the possibilities of having a mercenary, corporate or military Warmek company is a good thing.

Rules and guidelines for negociating contracts are useful.

The book is full of interesting equipment both for pilots and their war machines.

I really enjoy the book, BUT...

I think it would have been better with more proof-reading.

On page 8:
... and size bonus to attack rolls are never used in Armegeddon 2089

On page 82, under Melle attacks, and in bold letters:
Melee Attack rolls = 1d20 + base attack bonus +Strength modifier + size modifier

There a few things like that.

On page 106:
A full list of combat actions specific to vehicules can be found on page 106.
<
...And said table is on page 107...

I've seen references to page '0' in lieu of 101.
I could neme of few more of these errors.

And then there are the minor layout problems. Tables are not where they should be. Legends of some of the tables' symbles are omitted (notably one of the feat tables). Headings in some tables are misplaced. There is also some problems, in my opinion that is, with chapters and sub-chapters headings, regarding font size, use of bold characters and such. It look too much alike. You have difficulty to see if you are looking at a new section or a sub-division of the previous item.

There are places where Armageddon 2089 is used to reference to a Warmek.

There are some major disparities between what a tipical mission would earn you in the negociation chapter (with sugested/standard costs for different types of mission) and the examples provided in the mercenary company chapter. The Bedlam Boys, the Pc company given as an example, intends to charge 1 000 000$ for its first assignment. Pam's Scramers are ale to earn about 20 million $ a year. That would doing more than 400 missions a year if following to suggested costs.

This is what will make Armageddon 2089 a good book, but not a great book. It'll probably be a great game, but not a great book.

Mytholder

brun said:
There are some major disparities between what a tipical mission would earn you in the negociation chapter (with sugested/standard costs for different types of mission) and the examples provided in the mercenary company chapter. The Bedlam Boys, the Pc company given as an example, intends to charge 1 000 000$ for its first assignment. Pam's Scramers are ale to earn about 20 million $ a year. That would doing more than 400 missions a year if following to suggested costs.

That figure of 20 million is probably including the cash raised from salvaging and selling downed enemy WarMeks. One of the design goals, apparently, was to encourage salvaging and careful tactics.

Psion

Adventurer
arosslaw said:
Not a bad looking book, true, but I put it back on the shelf when I saw that every page had a pattern background on it.

I agree, save to say that in my book that sort of background DOES make it a bad looking book. I really do rue that page style.

Remove ads