• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Armies of The Ancient World

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Well, I was just doing some work on different campaign stuff, and I took a break for a bit. Relaxing on the couch with a cold Root Beer, I began watching the History Channel. On this evening was a program about "The Real Sparticus." They talked about gladiators, and gladiator life, as they developed the story on Sparticus. (I love the gladiator helmets!:)) Sparticus gradually built an army of some 80,000 men. Some estimates might go a bit higher, say over a hundred thousand troops, including some camp followers and so on. Now, in the program, they talked about over the short span of Sparticus' rampage over the Italian penensula, his army suffered the loss of some 20,000 German gladiators who balked at his leadership and wanted to travel separately from Sparticus. For their stupidity, the Romans fell on the Germans and slaughtered all 20,000 of them. Sparticus continued to march up Italy, and defeated a Roman army of two Roman Legions, which would be approximately 12,000 men, plus potentially a like number in auxilliary warriors. Sparticus' army marched south, and was met by Crassus' army of six Roman Legions. Approximately 36-75,000 soldiers. The army of gladiators wiped them out to the man. In a long march down the Brutium, Sparticus became cornered, and he broke out of the trap and marched north for the second time. Again, more German gladiators whined and argued, and travelled separately. The regathered army of Crassus fell on the Germans, and slaughtered them as well. That day alone, 35,000 German gladiators died. The three Roman armies converged on Sparticus, and the slaughter began. In the forgone fighting, even though some gladiators tried to flee, Sparticus fought on. As he charged Crassus, Sparticus dropped and killed two Centurions outright, and continued fighting. Gradually, he was worn down, and Sparticus was killed. However, his body was never recovered. In addition, it is estimated that by this time, Sparticus' army was now at about 60,000 or so. Only 6000 survived the day's struggle, and they were all gathered up and crucified on the road from Capua to the gates of Rome, where the bodies were left for three months to rot, and to serve as an example of the fate of those who raised their fist in rebellion to Rome.

I think it is interesting that these armies were raised so quickly, slaughtered, and more were raised. It certainly provides a different context than the one where people say that "Well, since the Middle Ages, 5000 men was a huge army, then in the game it would be unlikely to see armies larger than that."

I went back to some of my reading, and in Caesar's Legions, --(Caesar's Legions, by Sekunda, Northwood and Simkins, published by Osprey Books, Copyright 2000, hardcover, 143 pages.)--the author discusses that in the years of the early Republic, that--

"Rome was capable of raising 700,000 foot soldiers, and 70,000 cavalry...It was Rome's capability to raise such huge armies which defeated Macedon. No matter how many armies the incompetance of Roman military commanders might lose, there was always a near-inexhaustible resorvoir of manpower to draw on. The first years of the Third Macedonian War saw many Roman reverses, but these didn't matter; all that mattered was the last battle." (Caesar's Legions, pg. 92)

I recall that one of my History professors, a Ph.D on Ancient History from USC, used to explain that Rome could lose 80,000 soldiers in one day--and soon have them replaced. Throughout Rome's history, Rome lost many battles, but never, ever, lost a war.

To my mind, a key ingredient of the success of the Roman Empire was the system of maintaining a professional military war machine. The Romans not only trained and equipped a standardized, flexible army, but they kept it sharply honed and fed by the supply of raw, eager manpower from the four corners of the empire. These recruits were in an almost constant stream of recruitment, training, and waiting in the wings for action. The Roman Legion was made up of tough men, who believed in the Empire, and the values that it stood for. These men were simple, rough men, given steady pay, loot, training, comradeship, discipline, and purpose. They served in the legions for terms of 25 years. These men became expert military engineers and craftsmen, as well as professional killers with a thirst for blood and conquest.

The opponents that faced Rome had no such professional military system. Their whole society was agriculturally based, rather than urban, and thus, while the barbarian warriors were often physically powerful, and incredibly brave, they did not have the training that the average Roman soldier had. In addition, when a Celtic, Dacian, German, or African tribe lost "X" amount of thousands of troops, whether in vicotry or defeat, the tribe could not recoup such severe losses quickly, and of skilled warriors lost, certainly not. The Romans, however, would soon have another well-trained army arriving on the scene in a few weeks or a few months. Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat. The Romans could ostensibly keep up the pressure for however long it took, until the enemy was simply annihilated, their ashes thrown to the winds. However, though the Romans possessed such coiled, massive strength, it also took pains to develop the tactical finesse and strategic ability of it's legions, and the legion commanders. This focus on training and excellence built up such a leverage in skill and expertise, that the Romans could often fight enemies who vastly outnumbered their own forces, and emerge victorious. This kind of "Force-Multiplier" really sharpened the Roman Legions into an invincible war machine.

Even the more urban enemies, like the Greeks, the Carthaginians, the Palmyrans, and the Persians, though they could often field *initially* a well-trained and well-equipped army, they had no recoil ability. They essentially had no "depth." Once that initial army was crushed,--(If it was defeated)--there was no capacity left for serious resistance, counter-attack, or reconstitution of an effective army for additional campaigns. Once the initial army was spent, that was it. The nation then simply laid prostrate for the conqueror. They never developed the kind of military system that the Romans possessed. Their governments, their economies, their military organizations--were often significantly different from that of the Roman Empire, and in total, they weren't set up for the constant maintaining of a huge, professional military. Thus, in the end, they were broken to the yoke of slavery.

Now, in considering some of these things, it becomes clear that within the game, one does not have to remain chained to an impoverished 12th century European model, for their military capabilities, or for their economic systems. Also in ancient times, in a similar fashion, the Ch'in Empire of China maintained professional armies of hundreds of thousands of troops--perhaps even millions--for centuries, maintaining order, and repelling invading hordes. The Ch'in Empire had a similar system of good roads, laws, established training, manuals on strategy and tactics, as well as sophisticated communications and administration. This deep capacity also permitted the Ch'in Empire to fight massive campaigns, and to also easily replace losses in the hundreds of thousands quite effectively. In an earlier article, I mentioned that in 1066, when William The Conqueror of Normandy invaded Britain with 15000 knights, there were powerful African Empires and kingdoms that routinely fielded armies of 200,000 soldiers on campaign.

With these ideas as a backdrop, imagine then that the fantasy world has magic, and healing, and a thousand other things that assist people living longer, healthier, and having food and water purified, and having diseases cured relatively easily. In this kind of fantastic world, with even modest magic and spells,--imagine what kind of armies and fleets might be possible? The potential for armies and for empire-building is truly incredible!:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Mordax_sighs

First Post
SHARK:
Always fascinating to read one of your posts. :)
In this kind of fantastic world, with even modest magic and spells,--imagine what kind of armies and fleets might be possible? The potential for armies and for empire-building is truly incredible!
I think this is why a lot of us are stuck in the Dark Ages for a D&D backdrop: the more sophisticated the society, the more impact magic will have on Everything.

The last time my group played GURPS Technomancer - that's a 20th century background where magic works, and the INS hunt demons - we spent weeks figuring out hybrid magic/tech devices, trying to figure out what the world would even *look* like.

I invented Wiznet (lag-free untappable unblockable cellphone tech for the CIA), someone else came up with dirt cheap flying cars...we had a five hour argument about airport security chokepoints, one time.

*shrugs*

Conventional D&D isn't stimulating like that, but it's so much less work. :)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Rome's greatest power was its organization skills, they were anal about it. They built in support structure and kept everything to a plan. And they hardly ever over extented themselves. Their founding fathers had a grand plan. Rome did bring order to a very chaotic world.

I think you would have to do the same thing with a fantasy world, building a LG/LN or even LE city state and expanding out, keeping to a plan (manifest destiny). The biggest problem would not be other great armies or countries, it would be the "one man bomb", due to magic. In a fantasy game, they become more dangerous and could weaking the inter-structure, which could lead to more and more resources being used to stop them.

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Yes, terrorist attacks in D&D could be very devastating for those determined to pree home the attack! However, despite the lethal effect of assassin-wizards and such, imagine what kind of magical and mundane protections a powerful emperor would have?

What kind of security would you develpo for a fantasy palace, and a fantasy emperor?

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Codragon

First Post
Wow! A very informative post SHARK!

I didn't know armies of such size were raised outside of Asia. Quite interesting!

SHARK said:
... Now, in considering some of these things, it becomes clear that within the game, one does not have to remain chained to an impoverished 12th century European model, for their military capabilities, or for their economic systems. ...

A point I'd like to emphasize is that, to me, Europe in the Dark/Middle Ages is not something that D&D campaigns should be based on, even loosely. The serfs which made up 90% or more of the populace were poor as hell. Life expectancy was miniscule. Very few big cities and armies.

Come on folks! D&D ain't like this! We have flying castles, magic, and monsters!! No Aekob the serf who makes 1 cp per week! No one-blacksmith-per-town! We can create our own worlds with 200,000 years of history. We have had wizards through the ages creating vast works of magic! We can have kingdoms with many cities, each (city) with a population greater than 1 million! We can have great armies and gigantic war machines! etc.

Sorry if I strayed off topic and turned this into a rant....

Oracular Vision

First Post
There is some belief that the numbers given in ancient times are severly inflated. If you read of Hannibal's many successes, and add up all the Roman's he was supposed to have killed, it would exceed the total population of the Roman Empire!

From digs, they have pretty good ideas of the size of garrisons, and they are always smaller than the "paper" strength should be. It is thought that units were always counted as full strength no matter what their actual strength was. There is at least one good work on the logistics of Alexander the Great's campaigns that show just how many supplies it would take to field these immense ancient armies, and it is beyond the infrastructure of the time to have them be as large as historians would have us believe.

Remember that historians began as propagandists, and it is always better to brag about how big your army is or was, and how huge the forces were that they overthrew. One figure I have read is to reduce all numbers of troops by 1/10th to approach the more likely real figures. The only way to field these huge armies was to live off the land as you travelled, and that was not always possible and could not last very long, as there are only so many animals to be killed, grain to eat, etc.

The expense of medieval armies was in the equipping and the paying of mercenaries, which goes back to the Carthaginians whose army was, by and large, entirely made up of mercenaries. There were still large armies, but these were temporary.

Last edited:

Errant

First Post
SHARK said:
What kind of security would you develpo for a fantasy palace, and a fantasy emperor?

I would imagine, that given time & resources, magic would be refined along very similar lines to technology IRL.

Picture what we know about white house security. Replace the secret service with the imperial bodyguard (favoring Helms of True Seeing), surveillance cameras with scry/wizard eye using mages, perimeter alarms with glyphs of warding... you get the picture.

IMC, I make liberal use of Greater Ward spells that create a shell-like protective sphere that creates spell resistance to protect strongholds, even cities from spells & teleporting/plane shifting travellers trying to penetrate the ward. Seems to me this would be a prime goal for magical research in a universe that featured fiends capable of Teleporting at will.

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Well, of course at different times, and in different battles, there have been inflation of troop strengths. In the first century, the city of Rome had a population in excess of one million people. The empire was huge, and seeing that their ability to maintain law and order, as well as a sophisticated, complex economy on a mass scale, they would indeed have far larger populations than that of medieval Europe. Medieval Europe was not the apex of achievement, population, or even advancement. The ancient world had managed a great deal of wonders, and that included the capacity to house and feed far more people than was the norm for the Middle Ages. Rome didn't conquer the world with an army of 5,000 soldiers. They did it with armies of hundreds of thousands of troops. See also "Warfare of the Classical World", by John Warry; "Caesar's Legions" by Sekunda, Northwood, and Simkins. Also, "The Grand Stategy of The Roman Empire" by Edward N. Luttwak.

I, however, am offering what the best scholarship knows to be true. For example, in the Battle of Cannae, 216 BC, we know that Rome lost approximately 80,000 soldiers in one day. That is a fact. The truth of these matters can be arrived at, with careful scholarship. It is how we "Know" anything. In the example, 80,000 men were lost to Hannibal's army. It wasn't 40,000 men, or 180,000 men, but approximately 80,000 men. That means that realistically speaking, it could have actually been as few as 65,000 men, or as much as 95,000 men. 80,000 is considered the best estimate. The figure represents a variance of =/- 20%, which is considerable, but the stated figure still represents historical accuracy. Deviate much beyond this figure, and you are merely exersizing fantastic imagination rather than careful scholarship.

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Fenris

Adventurer
Shark, What Oracular Vision is saying is that the very foundation of the historical scholarship is what is in error. The historians of today have to rely upon historical records from the period. It is well know that those numbers were well off from what was actually fielded. Estimations of populations and armies was always exaggerated for propaganda purposes. And remember the victor writes history. The "fact" that 80,000 men died is not a "fact". It is a statement and an estimate by the military commanders on the battle field. What would impress the senate more a death toll of 20,000 or 80,000? You should realize from your background what a mammoth job the logistics of supplying an army of this size would be. Transporting the food for this army would require several thousand carts as well as thousands of cooks, servants, and slaves. Look at the battlefield sites how large an area would have had to be found over to have had 80,000 men die in combat? I am not saying the Romans did not achieve great armies or impressive military victories, I am just saying that history relys upon "facts" that must be verified by other means. Not all facts in history stand the test of time. Nor are agreed upon by all historians.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads