• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Armor class and proficiency on saving throws

DwynnsPlace

First Post
I always like to look at how things would be used by NPC's, Monsters, and Opposing forces to the PC group.
I think Proficiency purchases are a player/DM discussion point as the proficiency cost can have a serious
effect on the character development. Choices in additional proficiency to buy and or take for character development
is a concern only if your allowing every PC, NPC, Monster or otherworldly entity to use the same proficiency.

Having the choice to purchase the proficiency is the key, Moderating the use is a DM discussion point with the player.

I don't see that as an issue unless you are mini-maxing your character. This kind of character always has flaws.
Suggestion: Allow the players who pursue mini-maxing methods this course of character development.
Eventually they will get board and leave.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Well, a level 17 PC with a 20 Dex having an AC of 21 doesn't really look like a problem to me. At that level, having a good AC is likely common for any character that can afford to put 20 into Dexterity. Heck, a barbarian with 20 Con and 20 Dex has a base AC of 20, regardless of level.

It looks like a problem to me. That Barbarian had to invest in twice a many ability scores as that PC with just 20 Dex. And likely had to invest in Strength as well, or it would lose a lot of offensive capability from Rage and more importantly Reckless Attack. So that 20 AC on a Barb came with some drawbacks. On a Dex based character it gets this high AC without any additional investment. It just gets to max it's Main stat which it was likely going to do anyway.

It's also 3 AC higher than full Plate, It's even higher than full Plate+Shield while not carrying a shield. Again it's a boost with no drawbacks.

Now if you made it 10+Dex+Half-Proficiency then we have something that progresses a little slower, and doesn't outshine Full Plate. It would start out as good as Leather Armor, then equal studded Leather, then eventually outpace all non-magical Light Armors and even Medium Armors.

Totino

First Post
I suppose one could change the default AC calculation: 10 + Dexterity Modifier + Proficiency bonus. This would pretty much eliminate light armor. It might step on the toes of the monk and barbarian classes, though it could also reduce those classes MAD a bit. It would make the mage armor spell obsolete. Overall, I don't think such a change would be unbalanced, though I'm not sure it's worthwhile.

If, however, the OP is suggesting adding Proficiency bonus to all the standard AC calculations...nope. That would significantly affect bounded accuracy. Characters would miss more often, which would affect enjoyment of the game (the game system assumes a certain accuracy in attacks - that's why hit points are so much higher in this edition). One would also have to re-calculate ACs for most creatures in the MM, which is a lot of work. Overall, I just don't see adding Prof bonus to existing ACs as a good idea.

Well if you wanted to mimic Saving Throw DCs, I'd probably just say that every character has an unarmored Armor Class calculation option of 8+Proficiency Bonus+DEX modifier.

Xeviat

Hero
It would take some work, but I’d fully support an edition Hack that changed Armor to DR and a Defense penalty (easier to hit you, harder to hurt you) and granted proficiency to Defense, like d20 Modern and old Star Wars d20. The fact that monster attack bonuses grow faster than AC if you aren’t a monk or you aren’t getting +1-+3 magic armor starting around 12th Level kind of bugs me. HP don’t inflate that fast, unless you have a ton of Con.

But, by the book, no Prof to AC unless you’re a variant Ranger’s animal companion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove ads