• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Armor of Agathys

Henry

Autoexreginated
I have a player who is going to be playing a Tiefling warlock. His plan is to use his daily ability, Armor of Agathys, at the very first of the day, and thereby keep his extra 13 hit points (INT bonus + 10) for the whole day until used, since according to the PHB Temporary Hit Points last until damaged off of someone.

Does this sound kosher by the rules, for a Daily power to give someone a boatload of temporary hit points to walk around with all day?

Thanks in advance!

Gloombunny

First Post
Temporary hitpoints go away when you take a rest. (PHB p. 294) That includes short rests, so they only last all day if you never stop to recharge your encounter abilities.

Yaezakura

First Post
To quote the book...

Your temporary hit points last until they’re reduced to 0 by damage or until you take a rest.

So, no, that's not possible. Short rests to regain encounter powers are also rests. So the most his temporary HP would ever last is 1 encounter (unless he chooses to forgo resting and thus not regain his powers...).

Edit: D'oh! Ninja'd. :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
Yeah, I didn't have a chance to read temp hit points until last night, and he apparently glossed over that in his zeal to tell me he had 43 hit points at first level. :) I'll remind him of that little oversight. :] thanks, all!

Verdande

First Post
Also, don't forget that temporary hit points don't stack, so if you've got a paladin in the party with Bolstering Strike, remind him that he can't stack his little handfuls into a mountain of temporary hp and be nigh-invulnerable.

tensen

First Post
Henry said:
I have a player who is going to be playing a Tiefling warlock. His plan is to use his daily ability, Armor of Agathys, at the very first of the day, and thereby keep his extra 13 hit points (INT bonus + 10) for the whole day until used, since according to the PHB Temporary Hit Points last until damaged off of someone.

Does this sound kosher by the rules, for a Daily power to give someone a boatload of temporary hit points to walk around with all day?

Thanks in advance!

Just remember with the way folks lose and regain hit points through the course of the day, 13 actually isn't a whole lot. The classes with more healing surges will have regained more than that during their rests (which this warlock can't use until he expends these hit points.) [I meantioined those classes because the warlock is likely trying to show off that he has more hit points then they do.]

All in all, I'd say let the player go with it if he wants, since he is actually wasting his ability.

Remove ads