• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Armor Providing Damage Reduction Instead

Don

First Post
IceBear said:

Oh sorry...I thought it was coming sooner. I could have sworn that in the last Dungeon Magazine there was a d20 Modern "Lite" type ruleset that included DR armor. I'll have to go find that magazine and doublecheck.

If there's a "lite" d20 Modern ruleset floating around, I'd love a copy (or a link to it). Anyone?...Anyone?...Bueller?

IceBear

Explorer
Ok, Dungeon #32 has a modern d20 game called "Shadow Chasers". It is using the Star Wars VP/WP system and according to the chart, it's armor is using DR.

If a character wears armor, instead of adding to the Defense, the armor provides damage reduction to wound damage

IceBear

Don

First Post
IceBear said:
Ok, Dungeon #32 has a modern d20 game called "Shadow Chasers". It is using the Star Wars VP/WP system and according to the chart, it's armor is using DR.

Are there any specific numbers?

IceBear

Explorer
Didn't want to post the numbers for copywrite, but there was only three types of armor listed (all modern) from a flak vest (DR 3) to full body armor (DR 10). I don't think it's all that helpful for translating to D&D. Maybe you should browse a copy of Dungeon to see if any of the other numbers help with a conversion. Sorry I'm not more help.

IceBear

graydoom

First Post
A simple way to do this would be to make the armor bonus simple a DR bonus instead. Instead of giving +4 AC, a chain shirt would give 4/- DR. It also makes sense, because armor doesn't really make it harder to hit you... it just weakens the blows that do hit you.

I think Ken Hood's grim and gritty rules use a system like this.

Jairami

First Post
That would be terrible for two weapon fighters, as not only do they continue to have to hit the opponent twice with penalties, but then they eat the damage reduction twice as well.

Also, I think I'd rather have it be harder to hit me than have the DR because at mid to later points, it is much nicer to have one of those 25 point damage hits miss me than have -3 off the damage of each swing.

Just my opinion... No it doesn't make sense. I was just saying from a game balance perspective.

DrSpunj

Explorer
Hmmm...

graydoom said:
It also makes sense, because armor doesn't really make it harder to hit you... it just weakens the blows that do hit you.

I agree with this statement. Without adding DR to armor I have always imagined that many hits land but aren't hitting you hard enough to hurt, or are hitting you in a protected spot and therefore don't really penetrate to do any damage. While this is certainly an extrapolation on my part, it is the only way I have been able to rationalize the mechanics in a "fantasy" sense.

I really would like to see a set of rules that combined the Defense rating from Wheel of Time (and others, I'm sure) to raise the AC and have armor only provide DR. My group isn't this picky but we are about to start a new campaign with Light armor unchanged, Medium armor with DR 1/- and Heavy Armor with DR 2/-. If (or when :D) this topic comes around again and we have a few sessions under our belt I'll try and remember to post how things have gone.

DrSpunj

Forrester

First Post
I haven't played under the full Grim 'n Gritty system, but I have played in a 3E setting that borrowed the DR-armor rules.

And I have to tell you, it makes combat take a LOT longer.

Under G&G, where hp totals are quite low, it probably works fine. But if you allow armor to give DR equal to the AC bonus in 3E . . . you're asking for trouble. Trust me.

Lesser DR -- maybe half of AC -- or 1/- for light armors, 2/- for medium, 3/- for heavy, I can see that working well.

Gromm

First Post
Not to mention a DR equal to the armor bonus makes some characters unhurtable at higher levels. How about creatures, I assume they use the same rules. -30 some damage to the dragon? Good luck winning that fight.

Armor bonus assume that the blows are stopped, hence touch attacks ignore armor. If your wearing full plate with no dex bonus (AC 18) and I roll to hit you with a +0 BAB, 1-9 is a miss and 10-17 is stopped cold by your armor. Anything higher hits a weak spot or chink in said armor and hurts you.

Remove ads