• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Armor, Weapons, Gear - What level of detail?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Weapons: Description makes the stats

Describe the weapon, insert the 4-5 properties that best fit.

Armor: Stats> Description

6-8 types of armor. For the AC values up to +8
2-3 types of shields. For the AC values up to +4

Poisons:
1 for every poisonous monster in the Monster Manual.
EVERY ONE!

Rangers, rogues, and assassins need their toys too.

Dausuul

Legend
My one requirement is that any feats or abilities which tie you to a specific weapon type should tie you to a broad class of weapons, as in 4E (Heavy Blades, Light Blades, Spears, etc.). I don't ever want to see a fighter who needs a Small-sized guisarme-voulge to shine.

Beyond that... it'd be kind of nice to have a big array of weapons, just for variety, but it's by no means necessary.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I think the weapons should all be fully detailed, like so:

Flamberge
A large, gleaming blade of steel more than three feet in length, intricately decorated with elven engraving. Slightly heavier than a broadsword, but with a claymore's thin and flexible blade. Some have a second leather wrapping above the crossguard.

--Physical Info--
Class: Sword
Size: Large
Haft: Two-handed
Weight: 22 kg

--Composition--
Material: Metal, iron/carbon alloy (tungsten optional)
Construction: blade 1.5 to 2.0 meters in length, double-edged, 300 cm long leather-wrapped handle with full tang and 0.5 kg pommel for balance (also metal)
Craft (metalworking): Iron DC 15, Steel DC 18, Adamantine DC 25, Turbonium DC 30
Cost: 18 gp.

--Combat--
Proficiency: Martial Weapon Proficiency
Melee: Standard action
Ranged: No (and see below)
Standard Use: Thrust 1d10 piercing
Expert Use: Thrust 1d10 piercing
Defensive Use: None
Improvised Use(s): Pommel strike 1d4 bludgeoning, thrown 1d10 piercing (range increment 5 ft. + 5 ft. per Strength modifier bonus), boat anchor (requires rope, Class I and II light watercraft only, see table below)
Critical: 19-20 (x2)
Weapon Finesse: No
Power Atta...

Just kidding, just kidding...put down the torches and pitchforks. Geez.​

THIS is really all we need:
2-Handed Sword: Melee, 1d10 damage, Wt. 13 lbs., Cost: 18 gp.
These stats are suitable for any sword that requires two hands for effective use, such as claymores, flamberges, and greatswords.​

Last edited:

TwinBahamut

First Post
I'd like a fair degree of uniqueness and potency to equipment. Weapons should have a big effect on the game, and should not just be a simple line of description. They need to be interesting and unique. Let me think of an example on how I'd do that...

Let's try this:

Weapon Category: Bows

Longbow - 1d8 damage, two-handed, +2 accuracy, type based on ammo
Shortbow - 1d6 damage, hand-and-half, +2 accuracy, type based on ammo

Arrow types: Normal Arrow (piercing), Jagged Arrow (slashing), Burning Arrow (fire)

Proficiency Techniques:

Basic - Quick Shot (Standard)
You draw and fire a single arrow at the opponent. Unlike other ranged attacks, it does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Advanced - High Angle Shot (Standard)
You shoot an arrow along a high arc that let's it travel a great distance. Ignores some cover and can be fired at twice normal range. Can't be used indoors.

Expert - Multishot (Standard)
You shoot three arrows at once without the benefit of your accuracy bonus. You may shoot all three at a single foe or aim each at a different foe, as long as each is no more than 10 feet from another.

Master - Rain of Arrows (Standard + Move)
You unleash a barrage of arrows into the sky that fall like rain, skewering many foes. Make an arrow attack against everyone in a 3 x 3 square area.

This presentation is a bit incomplete, but it gets the idea across.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Weapons: the list in the 1e PH is good enough*, though the polearm section could be trimmed somewhat. The weights are all messed up, however.

* - including variable damage based on opponent size!

Armour: there really should be one armour type for each AC value up to the best that mundane armour can give:

None (AC 10)
Padded (AC 11 or 9)
Leather (AC 12 or 8)
Ring Mail (AC 13 or 7) - also Studded Leather
Chain Mail (AC 14 or 6)
Scale Mail (AC 15 or 5) - also Elven Chain
Banded (AC 16 or 4) - also Splint
Plate Mail (AC 17 or 3)
Full Plate (AC 18 or 2) - non-magic armour cannot go beyond this

Shield: buckler or large two-handed weapon gives 1 AC point, shield gives 2.

Other gear: include 40 or so basic essentials (rope, tent, backpack, torch, belt pouch, waterskin, iron spike, etc. including DONKEYHORSE) in core and have a bunch of other stuff in a module or tack-on.

Henches, cohorts, hirelings and familiars: include as core.

Lan-"once more trying to get to the core of the matter"-efan

TwinBahamut

First Post
Armour: there really should be one armour type for each AC value up to the best that mundane armour can give:

None (AC 10)
Padded (AC 11 or 9)
Leather (AC 12 or 8)
Ring Mail (AC 13 or 7) - also Studded Leather
Chain Mail (AC 14 or 6)
Scale Mail (AC 15 or 5) - also Elven Chain
Banded (AC 16 or 4) - also Splint
Plate Mail (AC 17 or 3)
Full Plate (AC 18 or 2) - non-magic armour cannot go beyond this
I'm not really a fan of this style of ranking armor. This is one of things you see sometimes, like in 4E, that bothers me for all kinds of reasons. For one, I'd like to see more meaningful choice between armor, rather than a strict linear progression. Having a simplistic tradeoff between encumbrance and defensive strength doesn't provide anywhere near enough of that, if you ask me. Some greater degree of choice would be more interesting.

I'm also not a fan of of some of the particular armor types, but I suppose that is a somewhat different matter. Would "Light Plate Armor", "Medium Plate Armor", and "Heavy Plate Armor" be more consistent than mixing up so many different types of armor together? At the very least, I don't see why D&D couldn't take that kind of approach...

Khaalis

Adventurer
Here is a system I’d like to see (as a general idea and starting point).

ARMOR
Basic Armor
Partial Armor (torso; 10-40% coverage): Covers breastplates, coats, cuirasses, jacks, jackets, shirts, and vests.
• Types Table: Padded, Leather, Studded Leather, Chainmail, Hardened Leather, Scalemail, Platemail
Moderate Armor (torso & legs; 50-80% coverage): Covers harnesses, outfits, suits, garbs, and armor suits.
• As Partial Armors + Articulated Platemail

Advanced Armor Options
Fittings: Protection to extremities & critical areas. Covers feet (boots & greaves); forearms (bracers, arms wraps, heavily armored sleeves); Head (coifs, caps, helms, hoods); Shoulders (mantles, pauldrons, shoulder guards); Vitals (knee guards, collars, gorgets, etc.)
• Light (2-3 fittings): Improves the protection offered by the armor by +1 but lowers Physical skill checks by 1, harder to disguise and adds weight.
• Heavy (4-5 fittings): Improves the protection offered by the armor by +2 but lowers Physical skill checks by 1, harder to disguise and adds weight. Also Increases armor by 1 grade (Partial to Moderate, Moderate to Full)

Upgrades: Includes 3 categories of options that can applied to armor.
• Craftsmanship: Covers special types of craftsmanship like Elven and Dwarven armor.
• Materials: Covers special types of craftsmanship like Mithral, Bronze, Adamantine.
• Customizations: Covers various customizations from Blessed Armor, Ceremonial Armor, Fireproofed Armor, Specially Fitted Armor, Reinforced Armor, etc.

WEAPONS
Basic Weapons
I’d like to see weapons broken down into the following categories. Each weapon in the entry covers Damage, Weapon Size & Hands required, and Range (if it has any).
• Blunt, Edged, Hurled, Bows

Advanced Weapon Options
Advanced Stats:[/u] The advanced weapon table would include more details including options like Threat Range (crit on more than 20), Weapon Weight, Weapon Qualities (see below), Item Damage saves.

Advanced Categories:[/u] The main categories would be divided into more precise categories.
• Blunt (Clubs, Flails, Hammers, Shields, Staves, Whips)
• Edged (Axes, Fencing Blades, Knives, Swords, Greatswords, Polearms, Spears)
• Hurled (Thrown, Grenades)
• Bows (no real need to break this category down)
• Add in category for higher level play – Siege Engines

Qualities: In the advanced options I would like to see weapons deviate by more than the damage they do. Some weapons should have qualities. For instance a bastard sword may gain “Massive” which requires a STR 15 to use but causes foes smaller than the wielder to make a save or become sprawled.

Upgrades: Includes 3 categories of options that can applied to weapons.
• Craftsmanship: Covers special types of craftsmanship like Elven and Dwarven weapons.
• Materials: Covers special types of craftsmanship like Mithral, Bronze, Adamantine.
• Customizations: The ability to add certain Qualities to a weapon such as Bleed, Accuracy, Cavalry, Finesse, etc.

GEAR
Basic Gear
The standard D&D adventuring gear list found in most editions would suffice for the basics.

Advanced Gear
I’d like to see making gear matter other than just bookkeeping. This expands on the basic table. Standard gear is just that – standard. It really has no effect on the game other than to say you have it or nor. Advanced gear would be gear that you purchase that actually grants you something. For instance:
• Basic Backpack: 5s
• Advanced Backpack: 10s (STR considered +2 for carrying capacity)
• Basic Bedroll: 2s
• Advanced Bedroll: 5s (grants Cold Resistance 4)

Gear Availability: A table that shows community population and its effect on Availability and Haggle time checks.

Gear Damage Saves: A good table for item damage saves.

More Gear Categories: I’d like to see advanced gear (remember advanced gear gives game effects) broken down into categories such as:
• Goods (essentials and survival/adventuring gear such as lanterns, packs, shovels rope, etc. Basically the “generic” adventuring gear list)
• Kits (special collections of tools for specific ends, such as: Climber’s Gear, Cook’s Kit, Doctor’s Bag, Mage’s Pouch, Scribe’s Kit, etc.)
• General Consumables (expendable but important normal resources like candles, chalk, ink, etc.)
• Food & Drink
• Medical Supply Consumable (balms, bandages, ointments, etc.)
• Poisons
• Locks & Traps
• Elixirs (magical oils, potions and elixirs should be an easily purchased item option in settings where alchemy is even remotely common)
• Scrolls (magical scrolls should be an option for purchase in settings where magical academies or guilds are even remotely common)
• Services (Any type of service you would pay for that got you something in game such as delivery services, healer visits, etc.)
• Transportation (Mounts & Vehicles)

Hassassin

First Post
Advanced Gear

Good point about advanced gear. Those who don't like tracking small things can just assume the characters have any normal gear they happen to need, but still record any exceptional items.

3e had this in a limited way with masterwork tools that give you +2 to the relevant skill check.

Duke Arioch

First Post
As an idea, I dont disagree with this. For my game however I would eschew such an idea.

One of the great goals I have with my game is that it runs at a good pace. One of the things I did for 4e however was getting rid of XP and "abstracting" wealth as I found these two sub-systems to be synonymous with accounting or bookkeeping. Giving up effort and game time to add numbers is just a waste of game time to me, and monitoring durability of individual items would be about as much fun as quantity surveying.

Candidate for optional?

You are right. Bookkeeping nightmare. Although, I am still convinced that some sort of maintenance of gear should exist: I am having trouble with silk robes not being cut into ribbons after getting rent with sword/axe, while you are dragging your intestines behind you for receiving the same treatment.

What I would REALLY like to see, though, is price "normalization". It is silly to have to count 1 lbs the dagger weighs, and not count in the weight of 100k gold coins you are lugging around to buy that + 3 megadeth sword of doom and gloom. Why couldn't a magic robe cost 150g, and mundane 10c? it makes much more sense than going into astronomical price ranges 3.5 and 4 both had.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads