• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Armour check penalty for dwarves

Anditch

First Post
Ill set the scene. I am a Dwarven Cleric wearing full plate being chased in a 100 foot by 40 foot room by a swarm of insects. THe only items in this room are a dozen statue or so. Does the -8 armour penalty apply to a dwarf who has the Slow and steady Trait. This trait says that their speed is never modified by armour or encumbrance. So would the -8 for the armour kick in or not in a chase scenario. Under Armour check penalty it says any armour heavier than leather hurts a characters ability to use dex and str based skills. Is a running/chase a str base skill. i cant see it in my skill list. So is it safe to say that if a dwarf wearing armour is not encumbered or slowed down its like he is not wearing any armour when he is running/chased. I am uncertain can this be cleared up with a good explanation please.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
If it's a straight up chase down the hall, the armor doesn't come into play - your speed is 20' (or whatever you've got it jacked up to with Haste spells/etc.).

If you're making Acrobatics checks to ping off the walls behind the statues like a pin-ball in order to avoid the swarm, the ACP is in play - those Acrobatics checks will be at -8.

If he tries to climb the wall at the far end of the hall to get away from them, it's the same deal. Climb is subject to ACP, even for Dwarves.

Slow and steady only affects movement speed.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Slow and Steady only applied to alleviate speed penalties - as I understand it, all other penalties still apply. Running and moving quickly are not skills, and so would not be affected.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
two words

Travel Domain FTW

my PF cleric of magic | travel, Tumpy, really enjoys his speed 40 with longstrider, most of the adventuring day. it's such a huge boon to be able to wear heavy armor with no speed penalty. As for skill / athletics checks, we tend to fly around those :)

Remove ads