• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ARRRGH, You Scurvy Dogs!!!

CleverName

Explorer
I'm going to have the oportunity to run a maritime campaign soon for D&D and would love to have some advice on useful d20 sources, such as FFG's Seafarers' Handbook, and advice from DM's who have run seafaring campaigns.

What worked, what didn't, favorite sources, etc.

Thanks!!

Xarlen

First Post
Seas of Blood by Mongoose is said to be good.

Lots of stuff like the Ships of the Goblinoids, the Elves, and so forth. Also, Necromancy: Beyond the Grave offers something like the Death Husk; the remains of a sunken ship that, via magic, sails, with an undead crew.

Crothian

First Post
Are you doing mostly boat encounters or are you going to be doing underwater adventure? Seas of Blood by Mongoose is great for boat encounters. Seafarer's Handbook covers that area but also goes into underwater encounters and deals more in that area.

CleverName

Explorer
Crothian said:
Are you doing mostly boat encounters or are you going to be doing underwater adventure? Seas of Blood by Mongoose is great for boat encounters. Seafarer's Handbook covers that area but also goes into underwater encounters and deals more in that area.

It's a campaign that will be set in the real-world equivalent of the Black Sea (think Constantinople). So humans dominate the southern shores, elves dominating the east, orcs in the north.

Scattered isles offer the potential for pirates, mysterious islands, etc.

I would not be adverse to an occasional underwater stint, but I'm more interested in boading actions, swashes being buckled from time to time and a shipboard combat system that isn't the rules equivalent of Squad Leader -- certainly no more complex than normal D&D combat.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Last edited:

CleverName

Explorer
Xarlen said:
I'll note this should be in the General forum, too.

Okay - I am really interested in the rule sets. Which one is the better bang for the buck, etc.

I want to be able to have enough detail to identify ship types and tell me how long it takes to get from point A to B on my map. Maybe some info on trade, etc. (One of my players always wants to make a little money on the side playing merchant.)

Last edited:

Thain

First Post
Free, and excellent, naval rules!

For a wonderful set of naval combat rules that are both easy to use, model realistic sailing, and are 100% Free! I think you should check out Septentrionalis: Roleplaying Adventures in 17th Century America

Although the Fantasy-Colonial alt.history genre is not one that will suit every game, there is much here that can be mined. The sections "Captains & Crews," "Ships," and "Sea Battles & Sea Adventures" are perfect for what your looking for.

(OT, but the rest of the setting is great! And the Atlas is
beyond belief!

CleverName

Explorer
Thanks, that one was completely off my radar.

Sound like I might end up with it (and the others eventually).

I've only sailed a few times, but as a Hornblower freak, sounds like Broadsides might be more up my alley.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I'll jump on the Broadsides bandwagon, too. Its the only book of the three I've seen (Seas of Blood, Seafarers HB being the others) that gives much info on realistic vessels. I like it quite a bit.

Remove ads