Ars Magica 4th Edition Revival!

RobShanti

Explorer
Hey, Cam. Mostly because I know 4th edition, and more importantly, know the book -- where to find everything, where each chart is...I played it for so many years every week that the book is comfortable in my hands and I have a familiarity with the layout that would be gone if I bought a new edition. Also, I never really found anything to be broken to begin with. I painstakenly incorporated the errata into the original text, underlined important passages and rules...a new book and slightly new rules wouldn't be worth it to me. Plus, my players all have the free .pdf and its nice to all be on the same page literally. At this point in my life, my late 40s, with 3 kids and an elderly parent and all the other responsibilities that come with this phase of life, I just don't have the time or energy to learn a gaming system anew like I did in my 20s.

Jhaelen, I would greatly appreciate anything you could dig up. Any work saved is a great boon.

Jhaelen

First Post
Sorry for the late reply.
I checked my current PC and all of the backups I kept from my previous PC, but apparently, it was too long ago. I hadn't realized it's already been ten years since 4th edition was released!

I still have my older PC stowed away somewhere, so there's a possiblity the files are still on it, but I have yet to try to revive it...

RobShanti

Explorer
Gentlemen,

I humbly request your help to Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly my combat outline for Ars Magica:

COMBAT CHEAT SHEET

BEFORE COMBAT: Decide to roll Initiative each round, or just the first round "and when people try to change range" (Init. is hugely important when changing range!)
Suggestion: Initiative every round. Very few fights are going to go all that long.

1) Initiative: Stress die plus init. (it's stress, NOT quality! You can botch.) Get someone else to keep track.
2) Movement: Everyone declares what they want to do. If two enemies want to be at the same range, there is no engagement contest, they just do it.
2a) Distance: You can half-move + fight, or whole-move.
2b) Sub-melees: Set up on pieces of paper in "PC vs NPC" format, with room next to each side for a couple rounds of attack/defense rolls. A sub-melee is just "people that are only dealing with each other this round," whether that be one grog vs. the ogre opposite him, a Redcap vs. three ogre-dogs, etc.
NB: You could even set it up as an abstract "quasi map" so you know who's facing whom and whether people can get around the line of battle and surround someone. The numerical "this is how many paces someone takes up with this weapon" rules are unnecessary; close enough is good enough.
2c) Engagement Contest: If people don't want to be at the same range, figure out who wins the "engagement contest" with highest initiative. THAT PERSON GETS A FIRST STRIKE BONUS EQUAL TO THE INITIATIVE DIFFERENCE. They can use that for ONLY ONE of attack or defense on THIS round.
2d) Missiles: Choose to "engage" an archer (allowing you to dodge) without knowing if they're going to shoot at you or not. Mass archery is probably very bloody.
3) First missiles: Compare archer’s Attack roll to target’s Defense roll, using first-strike bonus if applicable.
4) Melee: Compare attacker’s Attack roll to target’s Defense roll, using first-strike bonus if applicable.
4a) Attack/Defense: Everyone gets ONE roll and that sets both their attack and defense. Write for both sides "Attack#/Defense#" next to each character in the submelee or tell the player, "Make your roll, do your math" and then work out who hits who in what order.
4b) Multiple Opponents: The side with fewer people has -3 to Attack & Defense per extra opponent, limited by number of people in the line of battle, unless you get surrounded or the line breaks.
4c) Multiple Opponent Damage: You might damage each multiple opponent with a good enough roll.
4d) Using a weapon INSIDE its range imposes -6 for each range class (Pike at Touch is -12; you can usually use a fist or sword pommel like a gauntlet to Brawl, but you'd have to drop a pike or bill hook to fight at close or touch range).
4e) Successful attack: “The difference” (attack-defense) can either be used for damage or saved up for next round as an advantage. You can only use a saved-up advantage for attack OR defense, not both.
4e.1) Damage: “The difference” + damage bonus – soak, rounded down (no separate roll)
4e.2) Less than 4 pts. of damage: inflicts no real wound (but can be saved up as an advantage)​
5) Second missiles: For those quick-as-lightning really-high-initiative Robin Hood types. Rarely comes up.
6) Spells: If people are going "spell vs. spell" spell Initiative = Qik + Finesse + Enc.
7) Fatigue: Everyone rolls fatigue, 6+ to avoid it.
8) Bookkeeping: The ship gets that much closer to sinking, Wounds that Weep bleed some more, etc.

*If someone is on a horse they have several huge advantages:
● +3 attack/defense/init for higher ground
● zero encumbrance so they can wear heavy armor and still fight perfectly well
● lances
● adding their Ride scores to initiative (so they tend to a powerful First Strike)

RobShanti

Explorer
Well, as it turned out, I didn't need the combat cheat sheet. The PCs deftly averted bloodshed. Now, where to go from here? Any input is appreciated.

At my last session, the magi attended the wedding of Gisella, the female cousin of Duke Isnardo of Genoa, to Pietro Visconti, the Marquis of Pisa. This wedding would have put to rest a generation of fighting between the two noble houses. And the long contested ownership of the island of Corsica would finally have become moot, since the two contested rulers would have merged into one family.

Except that when the groom saw, for the first time, the bride's cousin, the Duke of Genoa and Corsica, the Marquis of Pisa recognized him for who he truly was, via his twin-tuition:

Though their mother died in childbirth, the father of the Marquis had told the Marquis the truth on his deathbed: the Marquis was born conjoined to his twin by a band of flesh at the shoulder blade. The babies were to be killed since neither was suitable to inherit the March in this condition. But a gypsy woman arrived one night and promised to separate the twins so one could rule. Her price: the other twin!

When the Duke heard this, he was aghast. He looked to his "mother" in the congregation and her ashamed expression revealed that the story they had told him for as long as he could remember, that he had burned the back of his shoulder blade on a hot hearthstone as a toddler, was a lie! He was not a member of the ruling family of Genoa, he was born of the ruling family of Pisa!

The clash of swords between the two houses almost rang out that day instead of wedding bells, but thanks to the Magi of Riacciu Carmenta Covenant, bloodshed was averted. However, the Duke of Genoa, while agreeing to retain his title, allowed the wedding to continue so that he could have both, his noble title, and his newfound twin brother. As an act of good will to his new family, he turned the rulership of Corsica over to Pisa.

Now this might sound like a good thing. And indeed, in the short-term, it was, for the characters and for the players. They managed to avert bloodshed and allow a peaceful transition of power in Corsica.

However, certain aggrieved parties, and I have yet to figure out who they are, probably complained about this transfer of power of Corsica from Genoa to Pisa. And through various channels, that complaint eventually reached the ears of the hierarchy of the Order of Hermes.

The Mages directly influenced this transfer of power. This is a potential severe violation of the Code of Hermes, which forbids meddling in mundane affairs. The transfer of an entire Island from one warring family to the opponent family is just the kind of meddling the code is meant to prohibit.

At the next session, in two weeks, I am bringing a special guest to play a Quaesitor sent to investigate the magi's role in this and sort things out. Did they overstep their bounds?

The Mages will argue that their actions spared lives by averting war between these two noble houses, and therefore prevented much bloodshed. They may also argue that politically nothing really changed, since the two Noble houses merged anyway from the marriage.

And they would be right about that. However, technically, the fact that mundane lives were saved is relatively inconsequential in the grand scheme of the Code of Hermes, which is meant to protect the Mages of the Order, regardless of the lives and interests of mundanes. Depending on how important the complaining party is, the Quaesitor may not be persuaded by the arguments of the player characters, regardless of how valid they may be.

The decision can go either way, so really it will boil down to whether it is determined that these Mages of this fledgling Covenant in Corsica pose any other threats, and if so, then this transfer-of-power issue can be used as an excuse to quash their efforts and indeed their entire Covenant.

So, I must now consider what other concerns might the powers-that-be have about this little fledgling Covenant that the Quaesitor could be looking into. In other words, why is he really there investigating?

I think the main issue is that this fledgling Covenant is being constructed within the geographical boundaries of the Roman tribunal, yet the intention the mother Covenant who sent these young Wizards out to build this Covenant, intended this fledgling Covenant to be a branch of their own Covenant, or a sister Covenant, and therefore an extension of a covenant that lies within the Provençal Tribunal, in the French Alps. Really, this is a simple issue, since there really is no such thing under the Code as a "sister Covenant" or a "branch," and therefore this New Covenant is simply part of the Roman Tribunal. But I feel like this issue can somehow get more complicated, I just haven't figured out the specifics yet.

As always, any input is greatly appreciated.

RobShanti

Explorer
Thanks to Project Redcap, I've now got a link there to my campaign's website. In case anyone is interested, you can read about the Riacciu Carmenta Campaign here. There are nuggets for download to be found there, so if you're playing Ars Magica and want some pregenerated NPCs, feel free to use any of my stuff.

Remove ads