Ars Magica To Get A New Edition

5th Edition Definitive will revise the game and add new content.

Unknown.jpeg

Ars Magica, currently on its 5th Edition, will be getting a 5th Edition Definitive edition this year. 5th Edition was released 20 years ago, and this new version will hit crowdfunding in fall 2024 as a full-colour hardcover book.

The original Ars Magica was released in 1987, and the game has been owned by Lion Rampant, White Wolf, Wizards of the Coast, and its current owner Atlas Games. Set in a mythical version of Europe, it centers around mages and features 'troupe' play where players have more than one character. It also boasts a 'verb-noun' magic system, enabling players to improvise spells on the go.

This edition has been in the works for a few years, revising and updating the text, and adding new material, new art, and new layout.

Additionally, the game will come with an open license; Atlas Games has not chosen which yet, but says it is leaning towards Creative Commons (CC BY-SA).

arm5definitiveeditionlogo-w750h390.png

Atlas Games has just announced that they are planning a revised/definitive edition of Ars Magica 5: Anno Magica 2024.
The plan seems to be a crowdfunding in fall. They also mention that, once the revision is done, the rules will be released under an open license (potentially CC-BY-SA).
In addition to a high quality print of the revised rule book, they also plan to offer the other existing ArM5 books as Print on Demand.

Also, if anyone wants to complete their digital collection of Ars Magica 4 material, there's a bundle this weekend where you can get the complete collection for ~$60 (Link).

zedturtle

Jacob Rodgers
I would normally object to CC BY-SA, since it could hamper downstream creations that have other requirements (e.g. you want to support a licensed setting with the CC BY-SA ruleset, but can't legally do so, since you can't SA the licensed setting), but if Mythic Europe is part of the CC BY-SA release, then I could definitely see a market for 3rd-party expansions.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I would normally object to CC BY-SA, since it could hamper downstream creations that have other requirements (e.g. you want to support a licensed setting with the CC BY-SA ruleset, but can't legally do so, since you can't SA the licensed setting), but if Mythic Europe is part of the CC BY-SA release, then I could definitely see a market for 3rd-party expansions.
Would CC BY-SA allow the creation of supplements that let the magic system work with other games?

Are Magica "troupe" play is fun concept applicable to lots of systems.

I'm not a scholar but it sounds like Gary and crew ran campaigns where folks had multiple charachters at various levels. I've done similar and it's fun. Dark Sun had this built in but I'm not sure many folks used it.

Also the concept of dungeon crawling D&D works really well when you justify it as a guild of wizards plundering ancient secrets. Each player has a mid level wizards and a stable of low level dudes who support the guild. Each adventure one wizards picks a tomb/ruin/lair ro raid for magical knowledge/artifact/or money to fund research and the rest of the charachters join as the henchmen. Kind of like cooperative Frostgrave.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads