Pendragon 6E Gets An April Release Date!

The long-awaited Arthurian game is nearly here!

pendragon_6e.png

Dicebreaker posted a preview of the Player's Handbook cover

Hitting EN World's most anticipated TTRPG of the year four years running, Pendragon 6th Edition from Chaosium finally has a release date! The first of three core rulebooks, the Player's Handbook, will be hitting store shelves this coming April, with the Gamemaster's Handbook and the Noble's Handbook (high level play) coming 'as soon as logistically possible'. April will also see The Grey Knight, an updated edition of an adventure by Larry DiTillio--of Masks of Nyalathotep fame--from 1986.

There will also be a Campaign Kit and a GM screen, plus a range of additional products such as an atlas, bestiary, regional sourcebooks, and more.

Also planned is an updated version of the Great Pendragon Campaign, originally written and by Greg Stafford and released in 2006, which covered 80 years of game time across multiple volumes.

grey_knight.png

Bagpuss

Legend
The better to keep meddling players out of the GM's business!

But the concern occurs to me: does this mean GMs must buy two books to play, and players only one? I'd like to see a Gamemaster's Handbook that covers everything a GM needs, meaning only one book is necessary for the GM.

By the way, this doesn't seem to be a 6e in the sense that D&D will be a 6e:

Hopefully it is like the Investigators Handbook and Keeper's Rulebook for Call of Cthulhu, where you only really need the one to play.

The fact there is no news of a release date for the Gamemaster's Handbook and the Player's is called the "Pendragon Core Rules" hopefully implies the game is playable without it.

Which makes me wonder what will be in the Gamemaster's Handbook. I was expecting stuff from the Book of Estate's and Entourage will be in the Noble's Handbook perhaps the warfare stuff will be in the Gamemaster one?

Bluenose

Adventurer
Time to email my FLGS and find out if they can pre-order it and how much for. And maybe, justt maybe, I'll get to play a session of ~Pendragon instead of always running it.

Von Ether

Legend
Distinguo: DiTillio did a lot of good episodes for He-Man, but it's reaching to call him the "mastermind." He has a much stronger claim on She-Ra, where he wrote four-fifths of the opening serial and many other episodes.

Interestingly, it was his gaming work that brought him to the attention of the people in charge of He-Man, since they were looking for people with "swords & sorcery" background as well as scriptwriting. Several characters he used in He-Man--Lord Masque from "House of Shokoti, Part I", and the dragon Granamyr--came from his home campaigns or RPG writings.
Fair enough.

Evidently even got Straczynski play in a few games.

I get the logistical issues of two books, but it seems strange to release the players handbook without a release date for the GM guide. Do you need the GM guide to run a game? Or, at the least, if you want to start and build a long term campaign, is the GM guide required?

Bagpuss

Legend
I get the logistical issues of two books, but it seems strange to release the players handbook without a release date for the GM guide. Do you need the GM guide to run a game? Or, at the least, if you want to start and build a long term campaign, is the GM guide required?

I imagine it will be like D&D where you can run the game with just the PHB if you had too.

Still I'm looking at my 5.2 Edition and wondering what they could leave out and push to a later book, and still have a playable game.

Technically you could leave out the chapter on family background, and still create characters that are playable, that could then be expanded in either the Gamemaster's Handbook or Noble's Handbook to cover more backgrounds than just Salisbury Family History, but I think you lose a lot of background doing that. They left it out the Starter Set with it's very simplified Character Creation and sample characters.

Clearly the chapters on Stats & Skills, Game Mechanics and Combat will be there.

I think a lot of the Ambition & Faith chapter could be moved to a GM's Handbook, or Noble's one, but some basic explanation would need to be there. Much of Wealth section probably could go into the GM's Handbook, basic play in Pendragon isn't really about buying stuff and you get much of you starting equipment just by being a knight, it's only later as you inherit and run an estate that details matter more so I guess that could move to the GM or Noble's Handbook.

In the Future Appendix which covers moving from Uther's period to Arthur's period could easily go in the GM's guide. The starter set seems to imply they are more focused on Arthur's reign and becoming a knight of the round table, than the period of Uther reign and chaos after it which 5.2 started in. So maybe Uther's earlier technology will be in the GM's Handbook and an updated Great Pendragon Campaign.

They can cut the scenarios, and perhaps have a simplified Winter Phase.

I'm also curious as to how they are going to handle a lot of the family stuff which is a major part of the setting, considering that female knights seem to be more than just an afterthought like they appeared in 5.2, how are they handling finding a suitable wife, random pregnancy (and deaths during) in the Winter Phase, all significant aspects of the earlier editions. A patriarchal society is a major theme of the setting, rescuing damsels, courting a wife at feasts, proving yourself to their father via quests, then leaving them at home to run your estate while you go off looking for the Grail, etc.

I've been wanting to play the Great Pendragon Campaign for almost twenty years now. But I don't think I'll ever find a group of players interested in playing Pendragon. Maybe I need to go on a quest to find some brave knights?
Sir, prithee take me upon thy noble quest, whether in flesh or upon yon Internet.
(Seriously, couldn't run, but would definitely play)

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I've been wanting to play the Great Pendragon Campaign for almost twenty years now. But I don't think I'll ever find a group of players interested in playing Pendragon. Maybe I need to go on a quest to find some brave knights?

Sir, prithee take me upon thy noble quest, whether in flesh or upon yon Internet.
(Seriously, couldn't run, but would definitely play)
It's great. I've been playing in it for a bit over a year, off and on, and we're in the middle of The Anarchy, having played through Uther's reign.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads