• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ars Magica 5e, Rhine Tribunal, 1220, Recruiting.

ArghMark

First Post
Yair: I know Guerino is just a shield grog, but I would imagine ability block with social skills does involve lying, because lying effectively involves acute knowledge of social cues for the most part;I would say any ability with it at least denotes ability to say the right thing to the right person at the right time rather than bald faced lies.

But otherwise he looks great.

Strahd: Looks fine! looking forward to how your pacifist monk gets into this weirdness.

Shayuri: Would you still be interested in a character?

Heh, nothing like Ars Magica for spending ages creating characters.

Yair

Community Supporter
Yair: I know Guerino is just a shield grog, but I would imagine ability block with social skills does involve lying, because lying effectively involves acute knowledge of social cues for the most part;I would say any ability with it at least denotes ability to say the right thing to the right person at the right time rather than bald faced lies.

But otherwise he looks great.

I imagined his lying to be more about controlling his own self, poker face and all. But fine - I'll change his Abilities and remove Guile.

Yair

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm! Should I be concerned if there's some overlap between a grog and my magus? I didn't see before, but Strahd's grog is fey-themed, heavy on socials...a lot of things I was planning on taking for my mage.

Does that matter?

Yair

Community Supporter
Hmm! Should I be concerned if there's some overlap between a grog and my magus? I didn't see before, but Strahd's grog is fey-themed, heavy on socials...a lot of things I was planning on taking for my mage.

Does that matter?

I wouldn't worry. Having similar characters on the same issue isn't necessarily a bad thing (just like two fighters in a D&D party aren't a bad thing), and a magus will outshine a grog by far.

ArghMark

First Post
Shayuri: Exactly as Yair said.

Also, if you do want a difference there are different types of fey; they aren't all just glittery elves - also trolls, dwarves, ogres, night things, animal things, elemental things, and so on.

Shayuri

First Post
Right, well, that was my concern...one character outshining another at their chosen specialty. I don't want to step on toes.

And I realize that there's many kinds of fey, but this is the kind that I was planning from the start. I'm not really interested in any of those at the moment. :)

ArghMark

First Post
Strahd:

Your grog looks very interesting, but breaks the standard grog rules. Would you like to make him a companion instead? He looks like much more of a companion than a grog to me really; most grogs aren't that interesting.

When I said make a shield grog I just meant to make a basic character who swings a weapon and protects your magus in case of problems.

Everybody: If you want to make companions, go right ahead, but this can wait until you either come across a potential in game companion or have a particular desire for one. At least for a little the game will have wizards popping around the countryside with grogs there for 'ouch' value.

ArghMark

First Post
Shayuri: Go right ahead with your fey magus. Stories we play in the future will probably involve that, and most likely will only be aided by another fey creature in the midst, as opposed to lessened.

If you give me a basic description of what you want and what your mages abilities will be we can work it with Strahd as to whats best.

I think that sounds fair.

Shayuri

First Post
Very rough draft so you guys can get an idea of where I'm going.

Name: Ilshana

Intelligence +3
Perception +1
Strength -1
Stamina +1
Presence +2
Communication +2
Dexterity +1
Quickness +1

Combat
Soak
Fatigue Levels

Abilities
---------
Native Language: English
Area Lore 1
Area Lore 1
Athletics 1
Awareness 2
Brawl 2
Carouse 1
Charm 3
Folk Ken 2
Guile 4
Music 1
Stealth 1
Survival 1
Swimming 1

Artes Liberale 1
Magic Theory 3
Latin 4
Parma Magica 1
Concentration 1
Fineese 1

[sblock=Expenditures]Childhood 45
Native Language 5
Area Lore 1 5
Athletics 1 5
Awareness 1 5
Charm 1 5
Folk Ken 1 5
Guile 1 5
Stealth 1 5
Survival 1 5
Swim 1 5

Later in Life 75
Area Lore 1 (5)
Awareness +1 (10)
Charm +2 (25)
Guile +2 (25)
Folk Ken +1 (10)
Second Sight 1 (free)

Apprentice 160+139=299
Artes Liberale 1 (5)
Latin 4 (50)
Magic Theory 3 (30)
Parma Magica 1 (5)
Concentration 1 (5)
Finesse 1 (5)
Penetration 1 (5)
Magic Lore 1 (5)
Faerie Lore 1 (5)
Brawl 2 (15)
Guile +1 (20)
Carouse 1 (5)
Music 1 (5)[/sblock]

Virtues/Flaws (10/-10)
-------------
The Gift (free)
Faerie Magic (House)
Strong Fey Blood, Sidhe (+3)
Gentle Gift (+3)
Improved Characteristicsx2 (+2)
Venus' Blessing (+1)
Skilled Parens (+1)

Restriction: While touching iron (-3)
Plagued by Supernatural Entity (-3)
Prohibition: Keep Sworn word (-1)
Meddler (-1)
Incomprehensible (-1)
Weird Magic (-1)

Hermetic Mage (free)

Arts 139
-----
Creo 5 (15)
Perdo 5 (15)
Intellego 5 (15)
Muto 5 (15)
Rego 5 (15)

Animal 2 (3)
Auram 5 (15)
Aquam 1 (1)
Corpus 3 (6)
Herbam 3 (6)
Ignem 1 (1)
Imaginem 5 (15)
Mentem 5 (15)
Terram 1 (1)
Vim 1 (1)

Spells 150lvls
(Max Level = Tech + Form + Int + Magic Theory + 3)
------

Size 0
Reputations:
Confidence 1 (3)
Warping 0 (0)

Equipment

Encumbrance

Last edited:

Remove ads