• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ars Magica: Lumen Montis, A Covenant in the Alps [IC]

[The pages in Polybius's codex appear to be slightly out of order here, as his description of the introduction of one of the magi follows his notes on his next statement.]

After the last of the magi had introduced themselves, I rose.

"Salvete, sodales. I am Polybius of House Mercere. I do not have the Gift myself, but I would be honored to be part of our new covenant. I come from a lineage of Redcaps that believes that recording the history of the Order is as important as delivering its missives. I intend to record the entire history of our covenant, even beginning with the Vernal Equinox of its Spring here."

When the last of us had spoken, Marie rose from her throne. "Sodales, I wish you well in your endeavors. You are welcome to use our council chamber for as long as you need. When you have finished your charter, present it to me for approval, and your covenant's Spring will begin." With that, Marie departed from the council chamber.

I rose in her absence. "Sodales, if you will pardon my presumption, our council can be best structured if we are all aware of the main issues of our charter. I will of course defer to your judgment on what is best as the content of our charter, except for one issue that I feel most strongly about.

"First, we must decide whether to accept Lemannus's terms. We may speak freely on this issue; it would be a gross violation of the Oath for them to seek to spy on us by any magical means, and I am positive that the council chamber's wards would protect us from any vulgar spies.

"Second, we must decide on a name. While some have suggested possibilities, others have yet to express their views.

"Moving on to the terms of the charter, the third thing we must decide is the obligations that the members of the covenant owe to each other as individuals. Many covenants forbid Wizard War between members of the covenant. Others charge all of the members with obligations of mutual defense and aid. Some require specific processes to resolve conflicts among members. A few even maintain that a declaration of Wizard War on any member of the covenant will be received as a declaration of war on all, although the Traditionalists among the Quaesitores say that those terms are invalid.

"The fourth issue is the obligations that we owe to the covenant as a whole. Some covenants place no obligations upon their magi. Others demand complete obedience, allowing the magi to do nothing but that which the covenant orders, although such rules are rare indeed. Most covenants require a season of service periodically, although whether that is required every year or every decade or something in between varies. Most also call on all magi to defend the covenant itself if it is ever threatened. There is also the question of whether the magi of the covenant may maintain private libraries, or should contribute all books they write or acquire to the common library. The same issue applies to vis supplies that may be developed in the future, or indeed, to those that some of you may already control.

"The fifth issue is how we shall select a primus, or indeed, if we will even have a primus. Most covenants have primi; our political position would be weakened if we did not have a primus, but not impossibly. There are other covenants, although none in this Tribunal at present, that are ruled by a council of their full members with no magus singled out as primus. If we are to have a primus, we need to determine how he will be selected. The most traditional ways are certamen or election for life with the right to choose a successor, but many covenants break from these traditions. If we select by certamen, we must determine when other members may challenge the primus. If we select by election, lot, or rotation, as some covenants do, we must determine the term of rulership.

"The sixth issue is the scope of the primus's authority. Primi range from monarchs with more power than any mundane king or emperor to magi with only a small modicum of respect more than their peers and no true power. In almost all covenants, the autocrat, who is the chief grog and looks after the covenant's mundane affairs, reports to the primus. But some covenants allow any magus to give directions to any grogs, or assign authority over specific matters to specific magi. The primus is frequently given the power to order what service each magus will render during their services to the covenant. It is always the primus's role to represent the covenant in Hermetic affairs, but the degree to which the primus is the sole voice of the covenant abroad varies tremendously. We must also decide if the primus will have additional votes in council matters.

"Seventh, we must determine how communal resources, such as vis, books, and even valuable mundane supplies are to be shared. Some covenants give control over this to their primi. Others require the council to vote on every minor decision. With books, it is frequently possible for the magi to work out their decisions without any conflict, but even then, there must be a way to resolve disagreements.

"Eighth, we must determine how new members may be admitted, and whether they must go through a period of service or probationary membership first. Universal assent is a common requirement, or at least a majority vote, but some covenants allow any one member to sponsor a new member. A related point is whether there is any means to force members out and, indeed, the terms by which a member may leave voluntarily.

"Ninth, we must decide how this charter may be revised.

"Tenth, we ought to give some thought to the issue of dissolution, although that is not strictly necessary.

"Finally, I insist as the sole condition of my involvement that we give all aid to any Redcaps that need it and that you each swear to provide true and complete information about your doings to me, that I may record them for history. In exchange, I give you my oath that I will betray these confidences to none except my successor as historian, so long as the covenant shall stand."

With that, I sat, and readied my pen to record the thoughts and suggestions of my sodales.

redhound

First Post
Marcus' Thoughts on the Charter

Marcus spoke from his seat. "I hope it will offend no one if I do not stand; my leg is not my most obedient servant.

"On the matter of Lemannus’ terms, I feel in principle that we ought to accept them. They are fair, if not over-generous. It might be tactically sound for us to seek to negotiate on some minor point, simply to make a show of strength -- more vis, perhaps, or longer terms for repayment. But this should not be a substantive change, I think; it would not do to antagonize our liege covenant. [Marcus genuinely means this; he feels that making an impression as a covenant not to be taken lightly is essential. He would probably push for an extension of the deadlines for repaying the vulgar debt; it would make the point without touching the resources that most mages truly prize.]

"I think Protractus is a good name, but I believe there is more to the Order than academic endeavor. I would perhaps prefer that we take a name that expresses Daniela’s excellent sentiment in a more general way. Accendo, perhaps -- "illuminate". [To begin with, I got "Accendo" off an online dictionary; Marcus’ Latin is vastly superior to my own. I’ll leave the appropriate formation to those who know more than me. To the meat: Marcus is bringing to bear the full power of his sneakery to appear only mildly interested while in fact fighting tooth and nail for a name which encompasses a practical and secular view of the covenant’s purpose. It need not be Accendo, which frankly sounds a bit like a management consulting firm.]

"With regard to matters of mutual obligations, I believe that a covenant which is bound strongly unto itself is more successful in the long run. I think forbidding intramural Wizard War is the least we should do; indeed, I personally would vote in favor of a codicil on mutual defense. I disagree with the Traditionalist interpretation of the section of the Code regarding Wizard Wars that Polybius alluded to, but I think keeping our charter uncontroversial is to be recommended; a mutual defense pact should be sufficient. It would also be wise to have some means for resolving disagreements, but I suspect that that depends largely on whether we have a primus and what that worthy’s powers are. [Marcus is being pretty straightforward on this one; he wants a mutual defense pact and some means of resolving arguments. As long as the charter accomplishes those things, the details are not so important.]

"I do not feel that we would be best served by harsh personal obligations to the covenant. I think we should require that vis used for personal research from the covenant stocks ought to be repaid somehow -- in service if not in vis -- and I think that we ought to require all the vis found within our domain go into the common supply. Vis currently on hand or extracted in the lab should belong to the mage who has it or extracts it. I think it might be fair to require all members to contribute at least a copy of any work they write or acquire to the common library -- if, as I’ve suggested, we establish a scriptorium, that should be easy enough. [Again, Marcus is telling it like it is; he’s not excited about a communal setup, but feels that the charter ought to encourage mages to pool their resources (and Invade Belgium!). He would like it if the charter produced an incentive for covenant members to support his scriptorium project, too.]

"I think that selecting a primus would be wise, to permit us to speak to the world with one voice. I also think, however, that at this early stage in our lives together, it would be imprudent to set the terms of those lives in stone. I would therefore urge against a lifetime primus, or an autocratic one. I would support a system of election or lot -- or both, perhaps, as in Venice. I think certamen is appropriate if one intends a covenant to be a pack of wolves, governed by raw power, but I hope for a more collegial relationship among us.

"I feel a primus ought to be first among equals, but there is no reason our primus needs extraordinary powers within the covenant walls. [Marcus would prefer the parameters he laid out, but the issues of duration and selection are more important to him than power -- especially selection. He’ll fight hard against selection by appointment or certamen.]

"Perhaps we might spread the tasks of authority among us. We could appoint a librarian and a vis-keeper to administer those vital supplies in the way that a primus sometimes does. It would be wise, of course, to give the council the authority to override them, but it would save us the trouble of convening a full council every time someone wants to read a book. [Marcus sees this as a timesaver, but isn’t married to the idea. If it doesn’t fly, he’ll drop it.]

"I would vote for unanimous support for new members; we are already very large. Though when the time comes, less stringent requirements for one of our apprentices might be appropriate. A year or two of probation seems reasonable to me. I think a unanimous vote should also suffice to expel a member. Well, unanimous minus one, anyway.

"As I think of it, unanimous minus one might be a good standard for new members as well. Otherwise, if a promising new mage is blocked by a single one of us, the temptation might exist to expel the recalcitrant socius to clear the way. That would be unfortunate.

"For similar reasons, I would propose a standard of unanimity minus one to change the charter as well. If it is lower, there would be an incentive to change the charter rather than assemble the votes to expel or induct. [Marcus feels that all this is true, but is largely advancing it as a thought experiment in contract design. He won’t oppose a strong push for majority rule, as long as it doesn’t run into similar pitfalls to the ones he discussed.]

"And finally, I gladly embrace Polybius’ terms. Aiding the Redcaps should be a privilege for a mage; they are the only hope we have for a unified Order. And I do not begrudge a historian a clear accounting of his subject."

anonystu

J'Accuse PirateCat!
"I have given careful thought and research to the matters at hand, and would like to offer my opinions, although I am most interested in reaching the point where all of our interests are best served."

"I agree with Marcus: this is a generous detail by any standard, and the political fallout from refusing would be grave: we would be at the mercy of other covenants' offers, and would make ourselves a constant and powerful enemy. My suggestion for future negotiations is simple: a one-time payment of vis to eliminate our vis obligation. If the areas we claim are rich in the flow of magic, then we should aim to be self-sufficient as soon as possible." [Daniela doesn't seriously think a rejection is coming up (if there is a strong sentiment to reject, or to be more demanding, she'll oppose), nor does she feel the buyout payment is particularly important.]

"The name of our covenant is not very important to me. I think Marcus's suggestion of illumination is a respectable one." ["Accendare" (the infinitive?)sounds better to me, but I don't remember enough Latin. Daniela plans to murder at least two covenant members over the...no, no, she really doesn't care.]

"Our mutual obligations are the heart of the covenant: what binds us together will determine the strength of our interactions, and the degree to which we can focus on our work without distraction. We should forbid intracovenant Wizard War, and add a mutual defense pact, although, from prior experience in Rome, there should be a designated process, difficult, but not impossible, to prevent one over-aggressive magi from enmeshing the Covenant in war. The prevention of that goes hand-in-hand with the powers of the Primus, and the method for resolving disagreements." [The lack of intracovenant Wizard War is moderately important, although Daniela again feels right now she'll need to expend little energy there. Mutual defense is less important, and some method of resolving disagreements that isn't vulnerable to two person cabals (see below) is moderately important. This all pales to the next question.]

"We all have our separate goals: they are dizzingly varied: the things we speak of to accomplish are great and will take much time and effort. The temptation to use the resources of the covenant, while not giving in full back, are there, and most be acknowledged by us all. This temptation, it must be iterated, is self-defeating: the suspicions that surround a covenant where resource sharing is not monitored will poison the good will, and this lack of good will will make all of our goals harder to achieve.

Therefore, I would suggest, that there would be obligation to the covenant. This obligation should start off strong for two reasons. First, while we are just founding our covenant, it is vital that we work in a coordinated, organized fashion to best create a covenant with the resources for us to begin our serious work. Secondly, for future additions to our covenant, it provides a way for them to make suitable payment to our covenant for the resources we provide.

I would suggest a system where for the first ten years of membership, each magi donates one season of service per year, or ten seasons total. to the covenant. For their second ten years, each magi would donate one season of service per years, with two exceptions, or eight seasons of service. In the third ten years, there would be four years off, until after forty years of membership, each member would be at the minimum of two seasons of service per ten years. The content, and allowable spacing of the seasons of service depends on what powers we grant to a primus, so, I will speak of that later."

"In addition, a system that depends on some form of repayment later is ripe to abuse: it must be stronger, and less open to interpretation, or to fostering potential disagreements about the use of resources. I would suggest a system that exchanges use of covenant resources, including stocks of vis, in exchange for seasons of service to the covenant: this will allow us to contribute in the best ways we can: those of us who are strong scribes, but weak in sources of vis can use the covenant stocks, while helping those magi who gain benefit from a strong library."

[This is Daniela's strongest point, on which she exerts most of her influence: she wants to see a strong commitment (theoretically, even stronger than proposed above), especially in the early going. She also does not wish a fast and loose resource system: she's seen disagreements and worse about this before, and wishes to head it off now, with a strong charter.]

"I thikn a primus is a necessary selection: other than not standing out, we will all have better things to accomplish than to oversee every element of our covenant. I would also not like to give the temptation of manipulation to the position. Therefore, I would suggest a rotating primus among all members, with a short term, five years or less, but probably no less than two." [Daniela's second most important issue: she wants to spread out the power of the Primus as thinly as possible, and also not have it be something where being on the wrong side of an alliance matters.]

"The powers of a primus should be at the least, handling affairs with the mundanes, overseeing unimportant interactions with other covenants, and generally maintenance of the Covenant. I would also suggest that the Primus be able to designate what the best terms of service to the covenant are, although these should not be decisions made in isolation, but with the input of the entire covenant. With the rotating Primus system, I do not fear that power being consolidated: those who seek to abuse their power will not find themselves in power for very long. In so far as keeping the stocks of vis and the library, I would have the Primus deal with those as well: the rotating position will make all members familiar with all aspects of the covenant, which can only be to our benefit, although I would seek to make those decisions very easy: a period of strong deliberation as the methods of repayment and service needed will stop much need for discussion later. A method of overriding decisions, is of course, important." [Daniela likes the primus determining service to the covenant only insofar as the terms are short. Much more power than this will cause her to balk slightly.]

"I can see the merits of other standards, but for important decisions, unanimous minus one seems reasonable. This minus one, of course, does not include the member at hand if the vote directly involves them." [Note how this is subtly more lenient, but really, Daniela's willing to shift to other positions, but wants at least a supermajority.]

"Finally, I agree with the value of a strong history of a Covenant." [Whew. All done.]

Ladybird

First Post
Fionuala rose next (at least, I assume she rose, for the difference between her standing and her sitting height was hardly perceptible). She favored each of her sodales with a smile as she referred to their statements – I felt that she was sincere both in her appreciation of their words and in her own assertion of her beliefs. [Fionuala is turning on the charm a little for this speech, but she’s also fundamentally sincere in what she’s saying.]

“I agree with our colleague from Venice” – here she gave a respectful nod, and a slightly brighter smile, to Marcus - “that we should oppose some of the terms that Lemannus has set for us. First, it is a good negotiating tactic, as he has pointed out. While we should not alienate our parent covenant, neither should we allow ourselves to appear as if we have no will of our own.” A hint of wry humor crept into her smile as she added, “There comes a time, after all, for all of us to break away from our parents.

“Second, I believe that we should oppose these terms because I have honest objections to some of them. Most specifically, I do not like the idea that they would have the ability to command our votes at the tribunal. It does not sound like much, the way they say it – one vote, once – but if they choose to exercise that right on all of us at the same time? They can override our entire covenant’s opinion. I have not yet thought of an alternate term to put in its place, but I do feel that this is a term that has great potential to harm us in the future, and I object to it. [Fionuala will oppose Lemannus’ control of our votes very strongly, but if everyone else (or a large majority of everyone else) is OK with the terms as they stand, she will let herself be outvoted.]

“I am glad that others share my objection to the idea that the primus might be chosen by certamen. Surely we can come to some more peaceful solution than that, and surely there are other skills besides certamen that we would find favorable for our primus to have. [I really don’t think anyone is favoring certamen as a method for choosing the primus, but if anyone does, Fionuala will strongly oppose that idea.]

“Instead, I propose that the primus should be elected. A rotating primus might be fair in that it gives everyone an equal chance, but not everyone has an equal desire to lead. If the position were forced on someone who had neither the will nor the ability to be the primus, the whole covenant would suffer as a result. I believe that those who wish to lead should place themselves before us for election, and that we should choose our primus from among those candidates.

“I also believe that the primus should be elected for a finite term – perhaps ten years? Election for life is a risky proposition, but on the other hand, I do not think that election for a very short term would allow the primus enough time to set any real policies or see any large projects through to completion. Ten years seems like a good compromise. [She’ll push strongly for election, and against appointment or election for life, but the actual term isn’t that important. Anywhere between 5 and 20 years will be OK]

“And in that spirit, I favor the idea of a primus as first among equals. Enough authority to direct and to lead, but not to impose his or her will on the rest or to act without the consent of the rest. The primus could, for example, have the right to break ties in a council vote, but not to veto a decision of the council.

“Marcus also makes a good suggestion that there should be a librarian and a vis custodian. Dividing the labor so that all the burden does not fall on the primus, or the council as a whole, is a good idea. Perhaps those positions could be held by volunteers, or perhaps the primus could appoint them. If the duties of those positions are arduous enough, we should consider making that service count as the holders’ service to the covenant.

“General service given to the covenant should, as Daniela wisely suggests, decrease as time goes on. The covenant will naturally need more work at the beginning than later on, once it is well-established and running smoothly.

“As for how we should interact with each other – of course there should be no wizard war among the members of our covenant! We should also be obligated to defend each other against outside attack – if we do not stand together, we will surely fall. And if there are any disputes between us, we should submit them to arbitration by the council or the primus. [Fionuala feels very strongly about the no wizard-war and mutual-defense clauses; medium-strongly about the arbitration; no real preference whether the arbitration is done by the council or the primus.]

“New members should be accepted unanimously, or perhaps unanimous-minus-one. I also think it might be a good idea to have a probationary period of a year for new members, to make sure that they will work well with us, and that their goals and skills harmonize with those we have already established.

“Giving aid to the Mercere is always an admirable pursuit, and our kind treatment of the Redcaps will allow them to spread honest word of our covenant’s good name.

“And speaking of names - I believe I shall end where the others began. The image of illumination is a powerful one – I very much like the idea of our covenant as a place where ideas will be illuminated, and if we are to focus energy on a scriptorium, then illuminating of another sort will be taking place here too. “Luminarium,” which means “lamp,” might be a more felicitous-sounding name than “Accendo.”

“Let us go forth, sodales, and make our covenant a light for all the world to see.”

Orichalcum

First Post
Brigitta speaks

Brigitta rises and smiles awkwardly at her new sodales; her clumsiness is more noticeable next to Fionaula’s grace. Her sleeve shifts and you can notice faint green markings on her wrists, like permanent grass stains.

“Sodales, I would like to express my opinions on these important matters. Please bear with me; my words are not as finely expressed as those of you who have spoken before.

On the naming issue, because I think this is important – I don’t really like Accendo at all. It would be a good name for a Flambeau covenant, maybe, but surely we seem to be heading towards a more peaceful, creative covenant rather than one built around such an aggressive concept of light. [Accendo means less “to illuminate” than “to set on fire;” obviously, Marcus would know this in-game.] Also, I think that in the quest for deeper meaning, we’re forgetting our own setting and the life that will give birth to our magics. I’d like to suggest remembering our new mountain home in our name, as well as the concept of light; those of you who are not from around here may not know of our tradition of lighting mountain bonfires to convey messages across the entire region. Lumen Montis, Light of the Mountain, or Lumen Summum, The Highest Light, might be good possibilities. [I am always ready to provide Latin assistance, fyi.]

I like the idea of extending the terms for paying back our vulgar debt; you can’t rush animals and plants, you know. I’m sure Lemannus wouldn’t abuse our votes, but if you care about it that much, perhaps we could try for it.

I’m very against the primus being chosen by either certamen or lot. I don’t think I would make a very good primus, and I’m sure those of you who are better at public speaking with mundanes and even other magi would like to hold the position for many years. Perhaps election for 10 years, with one renewable term as a possibility? I also like the idea of splitting up the job; we all have better things to do than spend our time dealing with administration, after all! I support a librarian and a vis conserver, and maybe someone in charge of the buildings for the first few years, so that we don’t have a half-finished scriptorium because it was abandoned to start the labs.

On the other issues – I’d like to settle all disputes peacefully within the covenant itself; I don’t mind the Wizard War prevention, but I don’t want to be responsible for fighting if someone gets themselves into independent trouble that isn’t anything to do with the covenant. Unanimous minus one seems like a good number.

And of course, we should always support the brave Redcaps, and diminished service – beginning with a season per year – seems quite reasonable, although of course if those of us who cast spells to benefit the entire covenant should have that counted in as part of our service, and ideally that shouldn’t count against our alloted amount of vis.

mckerih

First Post
Merin stood next to take his turn. He straightened his robe and paused briefly to organize his thoughts before beginning. "I agree with Marcus that we should agree in essence with Lemannus' terms while including some negotiation. Daniella's suggestion for the latter seems reasonable to me. Fionuala's point is well-taken, though. Controlling our vote at a tribunal decision of their choice is a sizable concession. Perhaps we could propose a time limit of fifty years, which would still benefit them considerably in the near future while giving us slightly greater independence after we become more established." [Merin doesn't mind being swayed on these issues, although he will draw the line very firmly at anything that has a legitimate chance of annoying Lemannus right now.]

"Sodale Brigitta, your thoughts on our covenant's name are well-considered. I remember visiting my father's mountaintop bonfire stations in my youth, and 'Lumen Montis' appeals to me as a name." [The covenant's name doesn't matter too much to Merin, although he will definitely consider the possible opinions of other covenants in his deliberations; he'll advise against any names that appear excessively modest or proud, for example.]

"I am with those who seek strong ties amongst ourselves, that our strengths may complement each other and enhance what each of us may accomplish. Internal Wizard Wars would be a disaster, particularly in our early stages of development; I would see them forbidden in our charter. I strongly approve of a mutual defense pact, though with the same caveat that others have mentioned to account for unusual circumstances, wherein the pact may be invalidated in a given instance if a two-thirds majority or majority-minus-one of us so decide. For resolving internal disagreements, I believe the primus should be responsible for minor issues, but that the whole covenant should be involved in resolving major concerns." [Merin feels pretty strongly about all but the last of these matters, though he would give way in exchange for support in the following:]

"Sodale Daniella, I wholeheartedly agree with your arguments in favor of obligation to the covenant. In truth, I feel that devoting one season per year might be too little at the outset." Merin looked at each of the magi earnestly. "I realize that we are all eager to begin our individual studies. Without a strong initial investment in our communal resources, however, I believe that our long-term success will be delayed at best and endangered at worst. For example, although I can proffer an Aegis of the Hearth ritual of the sixth magnitude, one of our highest priorities should be to strengthen this, that our covenant may be less vulnerable."

Merin paced energetically, reinforcing his points with emphatic gestures. "I would see us dedicate two seasons of work to enhancing our covenant's resources during the first year, and possibly during the first three. This, of course, could be in whatever way we can best contribute: copying texts, collecting vim, nurturing our economic resources, and so forth. We should also have some reasonable means of reducing the time obligation in exchange for other forms of obligation. For example, a straightforward payoff of vis or the casting of strong defensive spells might exempt one from a season's labor. In my case, I've already spent some months mastering the Aegis of the Hearth spell in the expectation that I would be called upon to use it for at least our first few years of existence, and I would appreciate some form of compensation.

"Some means of improving our resources will of course benefit us individually, too. I would be interested in working with other magi to learn Wizard's Communion to increase our potential combined power. In conjunction with this, learning the relevant Arts might help constitute a convenant service if it helps us improve our Aegis in the long run. There may well be similar examples that play to each of your strengths.

"In summation, I hope that others recognize the delicacy of our initial position and the benefits that we can gain by shared efforts at the outset." [Merin feels strongest about this issue, although he will give ground graciously if the weight of opinion is against him. He agrees with Marcus' proposals regarding vis and written texts, and will give strong support to Daniela's outlined system of commitment after the first few years, and also to her call for careful organization.]

"I agree that we should have a primus, although perhaps not an over-powerful one. I feel that we do not know each well enough for elections to be advisable, but I recognize the contention made by Sodales Fionuala and Brigitta that not everyone desires (or is well-suited) to be primus. I suggest two possible compromises. First, we could govern ourselves without a primus for five years, and then hold elections. Alternatively, let those who are interested enter a rotation of short terms, perhaps 2-3 years; once this rotation is complete, then we could hold elections thenceforth. Once elections are held, I support terms of moderate length, perhaps 10-20 years, renewable indefinitely. Like those who have spoken before me, I see little redeeming value in determining our primus by certamen, although I hope that demonstrated commitment to improving our covenant will play a role. Personally, I would be glad to be a candidate for primus, although I reocgnize the qualifications of others here." [Merin sincerely believes these proposals to be the best ones, but he will accept other ideas provided that they give him a reasonable chance of trying his hand at primus. He does have a fairly strong preference for indefinitely renewable elected terms, but doesn't want life terms.]

"I don't think a strong primus is preferable, at least at our stage of development. I like the guidelines suggested by Fionuala and Daniela. In general, I believe the council should decide issues that directly affect us all, while the primus resolves most issues involving individuals, chairs the council, handles routine organizational and administrative matters, represents us in Hermetic and mundane affairs, and oversees the grogs. I expect us to cede more specific powers to the primus over time, but I prefer to start with a basic framework while we are establishing our routines. I would be willing to see the primus have a double vote in council decisions and also to have authority to speak for us as a whole when abroad, abiding by council decisions where applicable, of course. I like the idea of having a vis-keeper and librarian, whom the primus would appoint and could overrule depending on the circumstances. Personally, I wouldn't mind administering the vis, but I have a particular interest in organizing and expanding the library, including working with other covenants to arrange exchanges." [Merin is pretty flexible on these matters; these are just his suggestions.]

"I agree with what others have said about admitting members and forcing members out. A probationary period for new members sounds good, as does a two-thirds or majority-minus-one ruling in both cases. I'd also recommend having a system in place for ousting a primus from office, perhaps majority-minus-one (not including the primus). I think we should be receptive to new members; I feel that we still have room to grow, though I doubt that we will hold much appeal to newcomers until we have established ourselves. As for terms by which a member may leave voluntarily, I see no obvious benefit from restricting this. Perhaps we could require a 'buy-out' in vis or books or some other service, though." [Again, Merin doesn't feel too strongly about any of these issues.]

"For revising the charter, I'm open to two-thirds or majority-minus-one votes." [No strong opinions here, either.]

"Oh, and I gladly agree to your request, Sodale Polybius. I swear to provide true and complete information about my doings to you. May our accomplishments be the makings of a worthy history." Merin gave me a friendly smile and sat down.

themaxx

First Post
Samuel rises somewhat slowly, looking about as if confused, and seems to be collecting his thoughts with his hands as he begins to speak softly.

"I don't mind objecting to some of the terms of that Lemannus proposed, and I'd say the things we might want to fight for are the repayment of vis, and perhaps the votes in the Tribunals. Also, I am confident we can repay their manuscripts in kind, with copies or originals that the members of our covenant can create." [Samuel will not fight one way or the other on the terms except for a slower or lighter repayment of the initial vis given to the covenant. He has no specific agenda for that though.]

"The proposals of my sodales for service to the covenant seem fair and just. We should all serve in the way that we are most effective, and thus strengthen the covenant. " [He does not care if a council, a vote, a primus or what determines this, so long as services remains flexible based on the member.]

"As for a primus, um.... Well, who would _like_ the position? I don't really see how a primus should serve for life, so a set term makes more sense. Perhaps election every five or ten years? I'd think that some form of rotation would be healthy." [Anything that is not lifetime and that does not force everybody into the position is fine with him.]

"Although a primus is surely necessary and well, helpful, I do not like the idea of a totalitarian or absolute primus. I much prefer we have various roles to serve, with the primus at the head as a coordinator, administrator and representative. A keeper of vis and a keeper of books both sound like good positions to have, and would help to utilize talents of other members of the covenant who might not be so interested in pursuing the position of primus." [Samuel objects to anything beyond a first among equals, and would strongly like at least two, if not more, supplementary positions for managing resources. Perhaps an additional person to look over the grogs, and another for groundskeeping and maintenance?]

[Samuel offers little opinion or objection to the methods already proposed for new members, voting, name, charter revision or others.]

Feir Fireb

First Post
After Samuel, Matteo stood to speak to his fellow magi, passing his gaze across the room, "Sodales, I feel you have said many good things thus far. To hear the issues of our covenant approached with foresight and circumspection is of great relief."

"While some of the obligations to Lemannus may seem irksome, I agree that they are on the whole generous, ones that we might accept as they are." His brow furrowed in concern. "A show of resolve and savvy is certainly useful, though in any negotiations we make we should be aware of where our strength lies, and of our delicate position. While we are seen as an investment and a resource, our continued development will be an advantage to Lemannus, as well as to any other covenants we should deal with in the future. And it will be easier for us to persuade Lemannus to new terms that are not in direct opposition to those they offer us."

"The vis obligation is a little painful, but probably not unbearable. Here it may be easier to bargain for a larger starting amount than for more lenient repayment terms. Correct me if I am wrong, but is not our vis obligation more along the lines of tribute than debt? Here a distinction was made with the repayment of vulgar funds, which had a limited term of repayment. I also suspect we may have greater success in pressing for leniency in repayment of vulgar funds, which are likely to be of less value than vis to a well-established covenant."

"The voting obligations are also of concern, but again as vassal we are naturally expected to be of some service to our liege. I need not speak further of the dangers of Lemannus' domination of our votes in some matter of great concern to us. To lessen this difficulty, perhaps we could persuade them to require no more than a set number of votes per motion, let us say half or less. We might also request a means of gaining their support before motions, such as a right of consultation or set voting support. I do not, however, think that any covenant in the Greater Alps would directly give rise to a potential enemy or rival." [In all terms of the agreement, Matteo will fight tooth and nail against anything that he ought to know would be either a potential deal-breaker or faux pas to Lemannus. Beyond that, he is willing to cautiously explore what advantages they can gain through further negotiation. Vulgar funds are the most promising, for the other terms he is middling]

"With regards to most internal matters of the covenant, I agree that we should show strength by coming to each other's aid. A mutual defense pact would serve the covenant well, so long as none of our members drags us into an unnecessary conflict or is in gross violation of the Code of Hermes. Likewise, a general prohibition of Wizard's War shows prudence. We should, however, consider our ability to police our own. The events of Silicia some time ago demonstrate the dangers that a rogue magus can bring to its covenant. The ability to effectively enforce our own rules is of great value to us as a covenant, and is as important to demonstrating strength and prudence to our neighbors as is solidarity against infighting." [Matteo is medium-to-strong in favor of a mutual defense pact and restrictions against internal Wizards' Wars and as long as it won't upset the other Quaesitores, which he is hard against. Balanced precautions against loose cannons are also particularly important--the primus and covenant in concert should be able to rein them in, possibly with a majority or supermajority.]

"I have no difficulty with the service arrangements proposed by our sodales, although it ought be no more than one season per year. A decreasing amount would also be favorable. Also, I propose that any new, non-founding member ought to have at least a year of service, and perhaps an additional year of probation before full membership. I see no difficulty in allowing a member to leave willingly, provided the magus owes no debts and is in good standing. It might be wise to require a few seasons' notice, waiveable by a simple vote, to prevent magi from dropping their troubles in the lap of the covenant. We might also require magi to remain in times of external conflict as judged by the primus, overrulable by a supermajority." [Matteo is flexible here, though he thinks a limited form of mandatory service is a generally good idea. His concerns about members cutting and running in times of trouble, though, go hand-in-hand with enforcement needs and mutual cooperation.]

"The sharing of at least some of our resources is as prudent a way of strengthening our covenant as requiring at least some service from all of our members. Laboratories, certainly, should be held in common. Requiring that copies of every book written or acquired be contributed to the common library seems to me a matter of undue burden, unless the copying were to count as the magus' required service, in which case it would be less objectionable. Or, as an alternative, we might require that all privately held books be available for common use should they not be immediately required by their owner. We might also grant a right of priority to those who contribute books to the common library in order to encourage initiative in such contributions beyond required service. Vis found on the covenant's lands ought to be held in common, although individual magi ought to be permitted to keep Vis gathered from elsewhere, such as personal sources and from the magical aura. And I agree with Daniela's suggestion of a system of exchange for seasons of service. Such arrangements should be strictly enforced by the vis custodian, primus and, indirectly, the covenant." [Matteo strongly believes that the covenant should have a good balance of shared resources and private resources to encourage intiatives involving both sorts. He would be happy with either a codified system or one entrusted to responsible management, though there should be checks against careless expenditure of the covenant's resources.]

"Unanimity-minus-one is a good standard for the most far-reaching decisions in a small group, such as admission of a new member, revision of the charter, dissolution and matters of exceptional discipline such as expulsion. So here I agree with Daniela, Marcus and Fionuala: unanimity-minus-one as the standard for these matters, with the minus-one not including one who is the subject of internal discipline. Although we might wish to consider a three-quarters supermajority as a functional equivalent, should the covenant grow or shrink enough to make the unanimous-minus-one impractical. [Matteo is somewhat flexible here, so long as the more long-term decisions require great consensus and the more short-term decisions afford flexibility to the primus and covenant votes]

"I agree that we need a primus to act as leader and representative in matters of group concern. In the matter of choosing said leader, the methods of lots and rotation have their virtues. But if we are to elect our leader, we should do so in a manner that encourages rotation, so as to prevent concentration of power and to represent all interests of the covenant. We should also give the primus enough power in simple decisionmaking so as not to render his position meaningless or to leave us adrift. I would be in favor of his appointing lesser positions, such as vis custodian and librarian. Other positions would also be useful, such as head of buildings maintenance and improvement, laboratories administrator, and such positions as the primus sees necessary. The primus or one thereby appointed also ought have the ability to lead our defense in times of difficulty. The primus ought also have say in the service that is needed with at least some consent from individual magi. But even though the primus needs flexibility, such power should not be overwhelming. Perhaps a simple majority ought be enough to overrule the primus' decisions, or to force a decision in favor of or against the primus' judgements and negotiations? This would also be true for other offices of the covenant. I further suggest any simple motion ought have at least a second before coming to vote, to prevent frivolous votes" [Matteo is flexible here, and is most strongly committed to striking a balance against too weak or too strong a primus. The primus should have initiative, but be answerable to the covenant.]

"To combine the advantages inherent to both long and short terms of the primus, I suggest that we have a 5-year term as Daniela proposed, but that we also choose the next primus 5 years in advance of their term as a sort of vice-primus. The vice-primus can, in this time, follow the policies of the primus and prepare for their own term of office, perhaps with some lesser administrative powers. Upon the vice-primus' succession, a new vice-primus is elected from the group of magi who were neither primus nor vice-primus in the previous term. This will allow for both continuity and fluidity. I would also suggest that neither the primus nor the vice-primus be allowed to select the new vice-primus except in the case of ties, so as to prevent small but stable cabals from dominating the politics of our covenant. Likewise, magi ought not be able to vote for themselves. [Matteo could go with either lot or election for primus, but is enthusiastically pushing this as a compromise to different important concepts. He is most strongly in favor of guaranteeing some rotation of power. Any such election should require at least a strong plurality--runoff voting to narrow things down to 3 cantidates? He could go for a slightly longer term, but not by much.]

"Those who least desire the burdens of responsibility may under certain circumstances be best suited to handle them, for magi as well as for bishops and nobles. If the covenant requires service in this matter, the individual should not refuse. [Matteo thinks this prudent, but will not force the issue]

[CP, please correct me if I'm wrong wrt Quaesitors and Tribunal here--I'd think I'd know this] "There are a few things that Polybius did not mention which we should also address, and which will be issues for our covenant whether or not they are covered in our charter: In matters of the Code of Hermes, the Quaesitores are expected to act as investigators and judges. In some circumstances, certamen may suffice in lieu of a Quaesitor, and any Quaesitor's decisions may be appealed to a more senior Quaesitor. However, dealing with infractions of the Code of Hermes without recourse to Quaesitores outside the covenant will be to our advantage. As in enforcing our own rules, our ability to enforce the Code of Hermes and to peaceably and self-sufficiently settle disputes will aid us in gaining the respect of our fellow covenants. To this end, I will do my best to judge fairly and responsibly, although I cannot guarantee that my decisions will please everyone. Likewise, I cannot prevent anyone from turning to other Quaesitores for appeal, but I should warn of the dangers of allowing other, more powerful, magi to intrude upon our affairs. [Most of this is non-charter advice, but Matteo is trying to make sure that the charter not be too out-of-line from standard interpretations of the code. Also, while he thinks it best that matters of dispute never get so bad that the aid of a Quaesitor is needed, he feels strongly that his role ought not be neglected or obscured.]

"Another matter that Polybius did not address explicitly is representation of the covenant at tribunal. If memory serves me correctly, only a handful of us, typically about three, would normally represent the covenant at tribunal. This may be a matter best addressed in Tribunal years, but we should at least give it some thought. I would think that the primus ought to lead the delegation as chief representative of our covenant. We should also have at least one representative who is selected explicitly for the task. Here, we might have a similar rotation system to the one I proposed, but one based on the seven-year tribunal cycle. Or we might have one representative elected with no constraint upon terms of election, with the third representative to be the vice-primus." [Matteo is mostly testing the waters here, but he genuinely thinks it a good plan, especially if his plan for primus election flies].

Here Matteo's smile brightened in satisfaction, "For a name, Brigitta's selection of 'Lumen Montis' seems just right to me. It is a beacon of light far and wide, and a tool of communication. Even as it speaks to our purpose, so also it tells of our place." [Matteo likes this better than 'Lumen Summum', but is willing to go with the latter]

"And I, too, agree that Polybius' requests ought to be granted. The Redcaps are one of the vital bonds of our Order, and our hospitality to them should be unquestioned as far as the Code permits. And a journal of candor ought be a great gift to our posterity."

With that, Matteo passed his gaze over the room once more and took his seat.

Malacat

First Post
Tsaran stood again, his manner subtly different from before. “I would like to address the comments several of you have made concerning allowing our Prime to be selected by certámen. I may, perhaps be able to speak on the matter with some authority. Not only do I have a strong interest in certámen, but among the Tremere, it is the only approved method of selecting a Prime. My experience suggests that it is an excellent method of establishing a community in which hatred festers and the ruler is feared by all and respected by none. Certámen has its place, and it is a valuable place, but it is not appropriate for settling important disputes among friends.

“I have two fathers. My mundane father, Lord Volakula, is very conservative, and he taught me to be conservative like him. The new fashion of turning free people who have trusted your family for centuries into serfs or slaves is not to his taste nor to mine. My second father, who still holds my sigil, runs his covenant to the new fashion, treating all beneath him with contempt. The idea of presenting himself to his people and asking if they will have him as their leader is a joke to him.”

As I listened to his accented words, I found my eye shifting back to the fey beauty of Fionuala Fitzgerald. I had written that the two were equally exotic, but already Tsaran’s features seemed less so. His veins might hold the blood of a minor family in far-off Serbia, but hers held the blood of the eternal ones in Arcadia. In another day or two, I was sure, I would be accustomed to Tsaran Volakula, but the gold-haired filia of Maelgwn would seem exotic to me forever. As these thoughts crossed my mind, my gaze returned to Tsaran. He could not have known what I was thinking, but I saw a glint of humor in his eyes for a moment as they met mine, and he paused a moment before continuing.

“I would prefer that we choose our leader by acclamation or by vote. I would rather live among friends than in an autocracy. I will also suggest that we consider a seven-year term, so that each election includes being Primus for exactly one tribunal. I like Matteo’s suggestion concerning the Vice-Primus, but I do not like the idea of being unable to re-elect a Primus as the following Vice-Primus. I would prefer that it take a supermajority, rather than a majority, to re-elect the Primus to Vice-Primus, but that it be possible for us to keep a Primus virtually all of us wish to keep on. If we included this rule, I would not oppose stipulating that such a re-election could not happen more than once before the Primus does step down.

“The positions of librarian and vis-keeper seem sensible to me, as do the others Matteo proposes. I propose we also keep a certámen champion, to settle challenges from other covenants, to issue it to others at the request of the council, or perhaps of the Prime, and to train others of our covenant in certámen should they wish to be trained. As I must defeat the best practitioner of certámen I have ever seen in order to gain my sigil, I intend to become the best in the Order. This will take me some time, but I tell you this now to be clear that the position I propose is one I mean to be qualified to fill myself. I will also argue that this position, and only this position, should be selected by certámen, to ensure that our champion is our best. If this means Matteo is best suited for it now, or if someone else is who has not yet expressed an interest in certámen, then the position should go to that person. I will hold no malice, but I will continue to practice — either way, and whether or not we have such a position.”

He bowed to Matteo.

“And I accept your offer of a sparring partner gladly, sir. Thank you.”

“To the question of new members joining, I think the all-but-one vote is reasonable. There are Tremeres with whom I will not willingly share a meal again, let along a covenant, but if such should seek to join us, I will speak my opinion before I vote against them, and trust the judgement of my peers. Likewise with expelling a member or unseating the Prime — if all but one choose to support such an action, let it be done. And I find myself in agreement with Matteo in much of the rest of his internal suggestions.

“I have no strong views on our name. Any of the names proposed would sit well with me.

“As to service, I agree that we should all contribute in large amounts in the early years of our covenant, and that similar initial requirements of new members would be fair. I would like to be more clear on what does and does not constitute service, so that no one feels that they are carrying a burden that is either heavier or lighter than anyone else, but this is a detail that need not necessarily be in our charter.

"I also suggest that we put considerable effort into making our covenant as comfortable as possible, not because I seek comfort for its own sake, but because of my interest in longevity. The more comfortable our home, particularly in the wintertime, the easier it is for us to resist the onslaughts of age.

“My next suggestion I’d thought would perhaps be more controversial. The master of my old covenant was able to use his laboratory to great effect because he required lesser members of the covenant to help him in his laboratory. It is an advantage I am loath to give up, and yet among equals it is difficult to arrange this sort of cooperation. I had meant to propose that we include in our covenant a common laboratory as well as our individual ones, and that we agree to cooperate in the common laboratory on projects approved by the council or the Prime. Matteo’s proposal that we not have individual laboratories sits well enough with me if no one else objects.”

He smiled at me again.

“But the issue that concerns our hosts more directly is what we make of their terms. I have some thoughts on the matter.

“We are to be a vassel covenant, and Lemannus is being most generous with its terms so far as helping us to begin is concerned. However, it is considered traditional — and I am tradition-minded — for a leige to owe protection to the vassel in exchange for ongoing obedience and tribute. Their conditions to me seem rather one-sided after the covenant has founded, which may form part of the basis of some of the comments we have heard.

“I suggest two additional clauses. One is that in the event our covenant is hard-pressed by a third covenant and appeals to Lemannus for aid in defending itself, and if Lemannus is unable or unwilling to prevent the third covenant from overwhelming us, we are, on our surrender to the third covenant, released of our obligations to Lemannus. As a new covenant on our own, we may be easy prey to other established covenants, and I am of a mind to pay tribute to one liege at a time. This places no obligation on them to protect us, so it binds them little, but it permits us to negotiate for our lives should they choose not to respond to our cry.

“The second clause would bind us more closely together. I propose that we request the right to nominate one of our number to Lemannus after seven years, and that this magus be permitted to join Lemannus as an established, voting member rather than as a new member, while remaining also a member of our covenant, with their service to us being that they serve in Lemannus. At the end of seven years, this magus would either return to us or leave our number entirely to become a member of Lemannus, but in either case we would then elect a new representative to Lemannus.”

“I think these terms are fair, and that they will not insult our hosts, which I have no desire to do.

“To the matter of the ownership of books and vis, I have no great supply of either, but members who do have their own should not, to my thinking, be obliged to give all into the covenant’s possession. Copying one's books for the covenant library should, I think count toward service.

“And finally, Polybius, I agree to your request, for so long as you and I are both members of this covenant.”

And with that, he sat.

Last edited:

mmeubiquitous

First Post
Celeste stands, and smiles nervously, her eyes going back and forth to make contact with the eyes of everyone at the table before speaking. Again her voice is soft, yet resonant. "I am younger than most of you, perhaps even all. My experience of such matters of politics, policy and power is limited, nearly non-existent. Therefore I thank you all for your insights. I shall be brief.

“I agree that we should accept the gracious terms our parent covenant. While it is true that we must someday break away from our parents,” she smiles at Fionuala, “that time, it seems to me, is not now. We are yet but babes.” [Celeste doesn’t really feel that strongly about this. She won’t change her mind, but she won’t throw down gloves over it either]

“Our name will say much about not only what we are, but what we wish to become. Before others, both gifted and not, come to know us, they will make an initial judgment of us based on what we chose to call ourselves. Of the suggestions that have been given, I prefer Luminarium. Lumen Montis and Lumen Summum trouble me, as they seem rather…arrogant. I believe we may form a better image of ourselves in the minds of the other covenants as well as the mundanes if our name portrays us as the light of a lamp, helpfully illuminating those dark places, rather than that of a light held aloof. [This is moderately important to Celeste, but she will go along with what the group decides.]

“Our obligations to one another are, of course, the very essence of our fellowship here. There should certainly not be any intracovenantal wizard wars. And we should protect our members, with a degree of caution, of course. We should also be mindful of the uses of our common resources, and give as much, if not more, of what we take. Such practice will encourage harmony amongst us, which is vital for our work to proceed and be successful. [She is really echoing what she feels are the undercurrents of the group will here. Ultimately she’ll be happy with whatever the group decides.]

“One thing I feel strongly about, however, is the need for private spaces.” Here her voice intensifies, becoming a bit louder. Her hands, which are clasped in front of her, tighten noticeably. “While it is my great honor and privilege to be of service to the covenant, I need my own laboratory that I may arrange and utilize how I wish, without worry that my equipment will be moved or my work interrupted. This is a courtesy that I require, and one that I will extend to others as well. [Celeste feels VERY STRONGLY about this and will not budge. She is willing to throw down on this.]

“As for a Primus, I believe Merin’s suggestion of an initial rotation of short-termed primi followed by those of longer terms would be best. I also like the idea of having a vice-primus that will work with the primus and assume the role when the previous primus leaves the office. I would ask that…that we not require that every member serve as Primus…I would…well, I would do my best, of course, but really I’m…I’m not really suited. [She feels strongly about the last part, moderately about the rest]

“I have little to say on what sorts of powers should be granted the Primus, save that he should have sufficient power to be an effective spokesman for us in the world and a voice of harmony in the covenant.

“Unanimity minus one sounds like a good plan for admitting new members, dismissing errant members, and revising the charter.

“And finally, Polybius, you have my vow of complete honesty, as well as my promise to assist your fellows in any way that I can.”

She smiles, nods her head quickly, and sits down.

Remove ads