D&D 5E Artefacts

Dualazi

First Post
I have a Question about Artifacts, my friend and I are having an argument, that creating a minor artifact that would increase a casters Cha to have an 'Unnatural Beauty' 'Overwhelming Charm' that would make it nearly impossible for someone to resist a 'Charm Person Spell' and I mean like a Natural '20' saving throw, minus modifiers. I want it to be unbalanced to create a story worth playing. An irresistible honeypot. Making a whole party charmed enough to give her their money, get them to do things for her, without making her or the Characters, (*Spoiler* I am going to make it break anyway if it so happens to end up with the players...)

I can't find any items or artifacts like it.

What suggestions can I get about this, please.

My suggestion would be "don't do it" since it sounds like it's just a means to jerk around your players via railroad. Because first off, you're going to have to account for the fact that they may have countermeasures, or develop them after their first meeting with whatever it is. If they still are railroaded into being charmed, then there's a real sense of frustration due to the obvious difference from how the rest of the game works, and their inability to affect the game world thanks to said special rules.

Secondly, having said Mcguffin break if the players actually do beat your setup is just icing on the locomotive-themed cake. Seriously, were you also planning on sticking your tongue out at them and saying "nyah nyah"? If you want this to be an enemy only ability, just pick an enemy (or design one) that has those traits innately. There's a ton of them in Tome of Beasts if you have it, and if not there are a lot of older monsters to draw inspiration from.

In summary, the option as you describe it sounds like the polar opposite of a story worth playing. This sounds like a story you wrote that you'd like to drag your players through, and were I to be one of those players I wouldn't likely return. If you want to create a manipulative character you're going to have to put more work into it than simply slapping auto-fail mind control effects on it.

Toby Nixon

First Post
Obviously, you don't have a sense of humor, understand the lvl 1 spell of Charm Person and have no concept that people often act as if they are under the spell of the opposite sex. This happens in real life. I can tell you don't like to use faults or role play with your imagination. You obviously don't like the idea of a story, when you roleplay. Tell me do you get many people who come twice when you DM? People beg me to play when I don't have books. Normally, I Play Gurps. I'm sorry, I thought people playing D&D wanted a story. My Bad. I will just make Rat killing quests and zombie raids, that's really original.

Remove ads