• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Artesia RPG coverted to 3.5 D&D??

Terry DM

Explorer
I'm wondering if anyone has used the Artesia RPG in 3.5 Ed. D&D?

If so, what did you do and how did it work out?

I'm a huge fan of the book (not so much the Fuzion system) and would like to adapt the setting (and a few of the new ideas like the Book of Dooms / LifePath) to my 3.5 D&D game ... but I'm really not experienced in converting systems, etc. to D&D ... any help or advice is welcome!

:)

fireinthedust

Explorer
I don't have the system, but one aspect of the setting was their take on magic.

Most of the setting can easily be done: everyone's at war, no one's trustworthy, and Artesia throws fun parties. Bam.

Likely pick up a good d20 mass combat rules set. Malhavoc did a great little set, and I believe heroes of battle also did a good job.

Another possibility is having a battle as a backdrop, and design some melee encounters in an area where it's happening. The PCs could fight, say, royal bodyguards defending their king, or some knights, or even trained monsters (don't think they had monsters in the setting up front, more in the shadows...)

I'll see if I can dig up the RPG. The art is what does it for me, and I remember in 2005 Gen Con meeting the creator. He also did some peices for the epic level handbook, which looked great (at least...)

Terry DM

Explorer
Oh sorry! My bad ... it's not the actual setting I'm concerned about ... that I can adapt in my sleep - it's the game mechanics like the Social Relations, Gifts and Bindings, the Book of Dooms / LifePath, and the Magic system that I'm curious about.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Hm. So, which bits exactly do you wish to translate? Lifepath and Book of Dooms, you mention... anything else?

Please say "yes". :uhoh:

:) It's just that, IMNSHO, you'd leave behind some of the best the system has to offer otherwise. Things that are interwoven with the setting, to such an extent... eh, well. Never mind - it's all subjective.

edit: Definitely one of those times I don't mind being "ninjaed". Time also to edit my status, I think. :p

kitsune9

Adventurer
I like the lifepath of the system and think it would be interesting addition to my regular Pathfinder game next time I start up a new campaign.

The way that I was thinking of handling the lifepath would be that there'd be carrots in the choices for them to make so that it would offer an incentive to do the lifepath instead of just generating stats, picking a race and class, and buying crap. A little bit of extra work, but players won't mind the extra work if they are getting something out of it (at least in the case of my players).

Remove ads