• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arthaus reverts rights to Ravenloft and Gamma World back to Wotc

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
Turanil said:
I would like to know what it means exactly. Does it means that Arthaus simply doesn't wish to continue paying for the right to publish them and prefer to stop the lines; or was it that WotC wished to get the rights back so they can (supposedly) publish stuff on their own?

or they bought it back so they could kill it because Ravenloft was drawing people away from WotC merchandise.

DMH

First Post
Wraith Form said:
Some of us will mourn the death of these product lines, as they won't get any new treatments or updates, and will fade into obscurity.

I seriously doubt GW will fade away after 11 editions and variations. Those would be Metamorphosis Alpha, GW 1, GW 2, GW 3, GW 4, Gamma Knights, MA to Omega, GW 5, OW, GW 6 and MA 3. The GW/MA universe is ancient in gaming terms and it seems to be a phoenix (more so with the ashes than the resurection). I really expect to see a 20th edition sold online in the future.

As for the current line ending- I knew there was to be 6 books and have them all. There isn't one that has nothing of value to me (esp since I don't use them for the rules).

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Korimyr the Rat said:
But the person I replied to took a customer-- someone who paid money for his work-- and called him "ignorant" and accused him of "spewing nonsense" because he complained about the quality of that work.{/quote]

Actually, what the original poster did was refer to the work as abaminable. Under no definition is that criticism. It is just lashing out.

It is one thing to defend one's work, and I will never begrudge a man for that. It is another thing to place yourself above criticism and to insult people for having the audacity to voice their dissatisfaction with products they've paid good money for.

Go read the original post again. it was an attack on the whole game line and everyone that worked on it. It doesn't qualify as criticism, constructive or otherwise. It is vitriol based upon the ever present fannitude "I would/could have done it better/different!"

Yes, they do-- please, read the paragraph about harshness again, and know that I mean it. And I do try to give credit where credit is due, even in products that I consider to be poor overall. Every book in the Gamma World d20 product line has incredible story material in it, and has ideas that are just begging to be used in a post-apocalyptic game.

See, this is criticsim. It isn't particularly nice criticism, but it isn't an attack. See the difference?

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
DreadPirateMurphy said:
um, given the average quality of editing and content that appears on gaming shelves (not to mention PDFs)

Not just gaming shelves. More and more these days I'm encountering novels that, I feel, were never edited.

We shouldn't even get into what you'll see on your TV screen, billboards, or a thousand other places that you can find words.

glass

(he, him)
Staffan said:
Dragonlance and Hackmaster. The HM license in particular is very broad - apparently it allows Kenzer & Co to publish things based on anything 1e, 2e or Original/Basic D&D, as long as it's "hacked."
And the D&D logo for Kingdoms of Kalamar. That's just a trademark, obviously, but it's relevant to the conspiricy theories. ;)

glass.

Remove ads