Artic Firestorm - Advice wanted for a Tri-Element build

Tempestfury

First Post
So, I got a little build here that I am made on Hero Lab for the fun of it, and I was wondering... how good actually is this? I can think of a few areas where it might run into problems, so I’m looking to see what other people think of the situations, and whenever or not they should be addressed, and if so. How.

Also for the purposes of the build, please consider Expertise feats as well as Improved Defence to simply not exist. I dislike hampering my builds on picking up feat-taxes, and I will likely only play games where I can get an Expertise and Improved Defence for free.

======
Arctic Firestorm, level 30
Gensai, Hybrid Ranger/Hybrid Monk, Soaring Blade, Emergent Primordial
Monastic Tradition (hybrid): Centered Breath.
Elemental Manifestation: Firesoul
Background: Chessenta
Theme: Werebear

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 22, Con 18, Dex 22, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 31 Fort: 32 Reflex: 33 Will: 29
HP: 190 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 47

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +29, Insight +24, Perception +24

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +15, Athletics +21, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +19, Endurance +23, Heal +19, History +16, Intimidate +17, Nature +21, Religion +16, Stealth +21, Streetwise +15, Thievery +21

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent: Ranger Fighting Style: Two-Blade Fighting
Level 2: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 4: Hobbling Strike
Level 6: Deadly Draw
Level 8: Extra Manifestation: Stormsoul
Level 10: Wintertouched
Level 11: Lasting Frost
Level 12: Shocking Fire
Level 14: Heavy Blade Opportunity
Level 16: Two-Weapon Opening
Level 18: Fiery Blood
Level 20: Born of the Elements
Level 21: Double Manifestation
Level 22: Heavy Blade Mastery
Level 24: Martial Mastery
Level 26: Two-Weapon Flurry
Level 28: Form Mastery
Level 30: Slashing Storm

POWERS
Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Monk at-will 1: Lion’s Den
Ranger encounter 1: Off-Hand Strike
Monk daily 1: Stunning Palm
Ranger utility 2: Invigorating Strike
Monk encounter 3: Eternal Mountain
Ranger daily 5: Frenzied Skirmish
Monk utility 6: Quicksilver Motion
Ranger encounter 7: Lashing Leaves
Ranger daily 9: Attacks on the Run
Ranger utility 10: Resume the Hunt
Ranger encounter 13: Off-Hand Diversion (replaces Off-Hand Strike)
Ranger daily 15: Blade Cascade (replaces Frenzied Skirmish)
Monk utility 16: Roots of the Mountain
Ranger encounter 17: Untamed Outburst (replaces Lashing Leaves)
Ranger daily 19: Cruel Cage of Steel (replaces Attacks on the Run)
Ranger utility 22: Master of the Hunt
Ranger encounter 23: Nonchalant Collapse (replaces Off-Hand Diversion)
Monk daily 25: Living Lightning (replaces Stunning Palm)
Monk encounter 27: Heart Sundering Strike (replaces Eternal Mountain)
Monk daily 29: Stunning Fist (replaces Cruel Cage of Steel)

ITEMS
2x Firewind Blade Longsword. Claw Gloves.
======

So, onto the problems.

Firstly, there are several feats which I am uncertain about. I took Hobbling Strike in order to use it with World’s Serpent Grasp, but I never actually ended up taking the latter feat. Another feat I am uncertain about is Deadly Draw, especially as I’m using the Frostcheese Combo to gain Combat Advantage already, but Deadly Draw in conjunction with Central Breath’s Flurry of Fists could let me gain Combat Advantage against more than one foe at a time.

Secondly, I’m not entirely certain about my accuracy. With only a 22 in Strength and Dexterity, along with no attack bonuses from class features, Paragon Paths or Epic Destinies. Whilst my damage is undoubtedly high, I’m not sure that I’m actually going to be in a position where I can hit people to actually take advantage of this. I can already think of three ways to increase my attack: Drop Con & Wis by 2, and increase Str and Dex by 2. Swap out the Werebeast theme for the Internal Prince theme. Swap the Emergent Primordial Epic Destiny for the Destined Scion Epic Destiny.

Third, defence. Whilst I have a solid stat-spread for all of my defences, the simple matter of fact is that my build is focused entirely on offence, with every feat dedicated to increasing my DPS. I’m a little concerned that I may have gone too far with this, however, and the triple-element build is already powerful by itself. So I should instead put more focus into making sure I can actually output this damage without being taken down? And if so, what feats should I drop for great defence? What areas of my defence are in greatest need of being shored up?

Fourth and finally, the Monk Hybrid. Whilst I do like what the Monk Hybrid brings to the build at the later stages, and its Utility powers are very welcome... the simple matter of fact is that after I reach Paragon Tier, and up until the later stages of Epic Tier. I haven’t really been taking many monk powers at all, which begs the question of whenever or not the Monk Hybrid is worth it. Should I simply go for a full-fledged Ranger instead? The Prime Shot class feature has feat support that allows melee rangers to make full use of it, and an increase in attack could be quite welcome. Plus, it would mean I don’t need as high a dexterity, allowing me to spread my stats out a bit more if I need be. Not to mention the Soaring Blade paragon path can still be taken if I grab a Monk Multiclass feat instead.

So, whilst I doubt this is the most original build around... what do people think of it, and what are their answers to my questions? I hope to hear from your thoughts soon.

Remove ads