Article on Gen Con in Indianapolis Monthly Magazine

I found myself wondering Mykal Wells feels about this article. The author is clearly inserting carefully chosen and provocative words to get the attention of the average reader. He also focuses on something that is not my Gen Con experience. Aside from the opprobrious word choice though, the article is a documentary on a small number of gamers. I leave it to the reader to decide if it presents a truly balanced picture, although I personally can do without the picture painted that "Gen Con is an orgy" (regardless of one's gender preference).

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
For what it is worth . . .

Mr. Rehagen,

Didn't care much for your article on gamers. It was shallow in tenor, lacked a meaningful breadth of sources, and showed a dependence on stereotypes that modern journalism should be above. It's a shame since you seem to be able to write well enough, otherwise. You can do better, so please do.

As always,
Mark Clover
www.CreativeMountainGames.com

Mr. Clover,

Thanks for the feedback and the constructive criticism. Sorry that you didn't like the article, but I appreciate your taking the time to read it and respond to it. And thanks also for the subtle compliment.

I was wondering if you wouldn't mind letting us publish your letter in our monthly letters section. And if you know of anyone else who's read this or other articles and had feelings one way or another about it or about the magazine in general, encourage them to write as well.

Take care,

Tony

Mr. Rehagen,

I would like to see you take a second look at the convention with an eye toward its less stereotypical qualities including the teamwork fostered by gaming and the educational efforts it supports. Getting in touch with the outfit that runs the convention would likely glean a wealth of information and help show a more well-rounded picture of the hobby.

I hadn't expected it would be used as a published letter to the editor, but go right ahead. I would appreciate if you add the first paragraph of this email to the other as an addendum. Thanks you for your reply.

As always,
Mark Clover
www.CreativeMountainGames.com

loki44

Explorer
Varianor Abroad said:
I found myself wondering Mykal Wells feels about this article.

As gung-ho as Mykal Wells was depicted, surely he posts here on EN World, or other similar sites. Perhaps Mykal can weigh in for himself? (Assuming, of course, that he's still alive after all the unprotected sex, insomnia and pure sugar diet.)

Treebore

First Post
We should declare ourselves an ethnic group (we do fit the definition as well as some other groups I can mention) and file a class action law suit for such hateful bigotry. Its harmful to my personal growth and self esteem. I'll never be able to look myself in the mirror again! How can I raise my kids!? Face my friends!? My family will ostracize me!

Oh! Wait! I could care less what the author or others think! I'm going to GenCon to revel in my geekness! I'm darn proud of it too!

If they start interfering with GenCOn happening, thats when the law suit will be filed.

RodneyThompson

First Post
Here's what I sent him. Probably a bit long-winded, but I thought you might like to read it.

My Reply said:
Mr. Rehagen,

Having recently read your article from Indianapolis Monthly titled “Revenge of the Nerds,” I felt compelled to write you with my thoughts on it (though I’m sure you’ve already been inundated by similar messages). Though I did think the article was certainly an accurate (and, indeed, embarrassing) depiction of a small subset of gamers that visit GenCon, I must admit I was puzzled that you believed that the group you interviewed and observed for the article represented the whole of GenCon’s attendees. Indeed, it has been my experience that the undersexed, desperate, and in dire need of a bath attendees represent a small minority of gamers. Not only that, but referring to the bulk of the attendees as “social exiles” is not only inaccurate but mildly offensive.

I would instead liken the convention to a typical Colts game in the RCA Dome. Tens of thousands of fans pack in for home games, most of whom range in occupation and personality as widely as any other segment of the populace. However, among those fans there will always be the few that cover themselves in blue an white body paint, wear blue-painted clown wigs, and scream at the top of their lungs the moment they step foot in the door. Were one to follow these fans around all day, immersed in their fan culture yet knowing little about sports fans nationwide, would that not skew your opinion and analysis of all Colts fans? If you had never heard of sports fandom, and spent your day among a small minority with extreme attitudes, would you not be inclined to believe that all Colts fans would have at least a small semblance of similar fanaticism? Yet when you look around the stadium you will see well-dressed and socially acceptable fans in nearly every other seat. This is the analogy I would draw to your analysis of GenCon.

I would urge you, then, to consider spending a GenCon not with the “social exiles” as you call them, but perhaps pass the time discussing the business aspect of gaming with one of the hundreds of publishers that visits your fair city each August. Alternately, you could contact one of the hundreds of authors, artists, editors, and publishers that attend GenCon each year in order to make business connections and obtain new contracts. I myself am one such writer; I paid my way through college writing for roleplaying games and continue to supplement my living doing so today.

Not interested in the business side of gaming? Spend a while with some casual gamers that come to try new things. Pass some time in the miniature games rooms, or test out some of the new board and party games available each year. I simply feel as though your narrow case study in the article tainted your view of GenCon and led you to write an article that both misrepresents the actual attendees but also could potentially bias Indianapolis locals—including local businesses—against the convention. Indeed, your article paints a portrait of GenCon as a near-orgy of social exiles who fill your city with their poor hygiene and pollute the landscape. If your aim was to alienate attendees and encourage Indianapolis locals to shun us each year, then I congratulate you on your success, as I feel sure that each party has received the message.

Indianapolis has welcomed GenCon with open arms. My experiences with the locals has been nothing but positive; in fact, at least one local restaurant of some size alters their menu to present a GenCon theme in an effort to make us feel comfortable. Unfortunately, I felt as though your article merely went out of its way to reinforce negative stereotypes and demonize a large group of people that bring a large amount of money to the city each summer. I would encourage you to spend more time at GenCon this year, perhaps not so attached to a single group of gamers (indeed, though you did seem to spend a great deal of time at the convention, I would call this a very narrow avenue of research) and instead see that we come in all stripes. If you go to the mall, do you not see these same “social exiles” loitering around? Yet I have not seen an article decrying the mall, and all those that shop there, as a sex-hungry meeting ground for the socially inept.

I know my long-winded reply probably has little effect on you, but I would just ask, as one professional writer to another, that before creating such a potentially harmful piece in the future you spend a bit of time away from the extreme side of the people you are writing about.

I thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Rodney Thompson

RPG Writer and Editor

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Wow... obviously a lot of people are far more perceptive than I am... I didn't get an overtly negative impression from the article at all.

To me it seemed to explore the differences and similarities to people outside the hobby, and the dedication the Gencon attendees have. It even seemed to reinforce the idea of teamwork and togetherness our hobby promotes, entirely rejecting implications of childishness and immaturity.

Perhaps some are a little sensitive?

just my 2 cents...

pogre

Legend
I could not resist sending an e-mail:
Mr. Rehagen,

Just finished reading your article "Revenge of the
Nerds" in which you stated:

"That’s why there is no such thing as a casual gamer.
It just takes too much time for anyone who’s not
completely obsessed."

That's complete nonsense. The vast majority of folks
who play games are in fact casual gamers. Sure talking
about the extremes in the hobby, and boy-oh-boy did
you interview some extremes, makes for an interesting
article, but it does not really reflect gamers or
GenCon as a whole.

I'm a fairly casual gamer. I host a RPG game at my
house once a week. Friends show up, we barbeque, my
wife and I put the kids to bed and then we game for
three hours. It's a social activity - not unlike
Bridge club or a friendly poker game.

I go to GenCon on a regular basis and run games there.
The vast majority of folks who play are well-rounded,
secure adults who happen to enjoy gaming. Sure we got
our whackos like every hobby, but they are the
exception.

I wish you would have interviewed one of the many
well-adjusted teachers, doctors, lawyers, or other
professionals who enjoy tabletop games.

I dare say if you put an educated European journalist
in a football coaching clinic, like one of the many I
attend each year, their impression might yield a
similar article full of extremes and
misunderstandings.

Really, I think the gaming population as a whole
deserves a little better.

Best regards,

Keith Pogue
Mahomet, IL

Sound of Azure said:
Perhaps some are a little sensitive?

I don't know how long you've been playing. Those of us who may well be considered grognards (I've been playing since 1981) remember the days of being demonized for roleplaying. There was a huge social stigma that still lingers. I'm a professional. I'm married. I have two kids. The article is not the Gen Con I know.

On a weird side note, I do find it cool that the author was on the team that won NASCRAG.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
not much of the article bothered me (as, sad to say, it's not that far off the mark in many ways). one thing that got me was the "Under no circumstances does the typical gamer wear a wedding ring, or for that matter stand purposefully in the vicinity of a woman." hello! i'm one of three fellows in my group who is married with children, plus we have one couple in our group that just got married, and another couple who is living together. so that's at least 5 men in our group who aren't afraid of women. ;)

Remove ads