• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Artificer Admixture healing: Is it an object?

Aplus

First Post
This recently came up in a game I was in where a party was stripped of all their posessions and jailed. Could an artificer still use a curative admixture healing power? The flavor seems to suggest it is an object the artificer creates, but the desrciption is very vague. I know it's ultimately up to the group to decide, and in my game the DM allowed me to use it, but I'm just curious to hear others' interpretations of this class power.

Depends if you rather go for flavour or mechanics.

Depends if youallow the cleric to cast his spells without a holy symbol and the wizard without any coponents or a wand... It is just flavour, but a fighter can´t do a lot without a sword either...

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
From a strictly rules perspective, no, it's a power not an object.

From a flavor standpoint it could be considered and object.

A tend to see artificers as being McaGyver-like and making all their infusions and summons from whatever they find lying around. You could maybe take away the infusions that he has when his is stripped of his possessions, but then let him whip up some new ones as soon as he can take a short rest.

Henry

Autoexreginated
This recently came up in a game I was in where a party was stripped of all their posessions and jailed. Could an artificer still use a curative admixture healing power? The flavor seems to suggest it is an object the artificer creates, but the desrciption is very vague. I know it's ultimately up to the group to decide, and in my game the DM allowed me to use it, but I'm just curious to hear others' interpretations of this class power.

Actually, the Eberron Player's Guide answers it for you in the flavor text. I'm paraphrasing, but in the class description, just before listing the infusions, it says something like, "Artificers use magical ingredients in their infusions, and if they don't have the correct materials on hand, they transmute common materials into what's needed."

So, That artificer who's shackled in a dungeon cell, I envision it more like:

--He takes some of his own blood and spittle, uses his Arcana to make an invocation that transmutes this into one component;
--takes some dead insect carcasses from the old lice-ridden bedding and the corner of his cell, transmutes that with a few magical passes into a second component;
--finally, mixes these together, which makes a vaguely insectoid magical construct which breaks his shackles and rips the door off its hinges, and fights the guard in the hall before dissipating. :)

Later, he can take some transmuted metal shavings and powdered flint, and start infusing the rocks he throws with deadly force. :)

DracoSuave

First Post
macgyver_intro.jpg

+

gandalf.jpg

=

mishraartificerprodigy.jpg

So, it depends on the manner of captivity. If you'd rule that a wizard would be denied his powers by the manner of captivity, then an artificer would be the same. But if a wizard would not, well... there's an awful lot of rocks, pubbles, and dust McGandalf can turn into the stuff he needs to do his mojo.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads