• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Artificer Creation -- Am I Reading this Right?

Johnny Angel

Explorer
As I understand it:

1) An artificer can create magic items for which he has the prerequisite creation feat and the caster level is no greater than his level + 2.
2) For each spell required to create that item, the artificer must make a Use Magic Device check of 20 + caster level. He can attempt that roll each day of the creation process, plus one extra on the last day, for each spell he must emulate.
3) The number of days in the creation process is generally 1 day per 1000gp of the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.

On these grounds, the higher priced an item is, the more likely the artificer is to succeed in creating it. A 4th level artificer with an 18 Chriz who is maxed out in Use Magic Device has a 76.27% chance of making Gloves of Dexterity at +2, but a 99.25% chance of making the +4 version and a 99.99% chance of making them in the + 6 version. And since the check is per day, the use of the Exceptional Artisan actually lowers your rate of success, since you have fewer days in which to make your roll. Feel free to check my math on this. Furthermore, that same artificer who has a 99.99% chance of success in making Gloves of Dexterity, with an MSRP of 32,000 and a caster level of 6 has only a 75% chance of sucessfully crafting a scroll of Bless, with an MSRP of 25 and a caster level of 1.

Of course, it must be noted that failing to scribe a scroll is of small consequence next to failing to make an expensive wondrous item in terms of down time spent and money and xp gambled, but still it seems odd that more powerful items are effectively easier to make.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Johnny Angel said:
A 4th level artificer with an 18 Chriz who is maxed out in Use Magic Device has a 76.27% chance of making Gloves of Dexterity at +2, but a 99.25% chance of making the +4 version and a 99.99% chance of making them in the + 6 version.
I'd think that the chance hits 100% for any item priced at 19k or more. The rules say you can't take 10 on a UMD check, but you can still take 20...

Remove ads