• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Artificer fans?

My buddy who just became an RPG nerd, made a dwarf artificer and loves it. I dig it too, he made an amazingly deep and interesting character. Anyone have any thoughts on the new artificer class? Do they actuallu shoots for 5d6 dmg every time? Kinda crazy if so.

Attachments

• cigar shooting.jpg
    cigar shooting.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 18,295

bganon

Explorer
I don't know exactly where you're getting 5d6. At 7th level, yes, a shot with Thunder Monger will deal 2d6 piercing + 3d6 thunder. This is exactly the same damage a 7th level rogue does with a shortbow and Sneak Attack. It's a bit easier to use than Sneak Attack but reloading the Thunder Cannon is a bonus action every round, which is a fairly big deal.

Yes, that where I was getting 5d6. So thats every shot? Seems to be one the most powerful range shot classes, no? I'm not being cute, I dig the artificer. Just thought I may have misunderstood how it worked

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Only thing I don't like, is the limited nature of wondrous invention, and lack of utility cantrips. And the giant golem pet as a core feature on a class that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with having a pet.

But utility cantrips aren't a big deal. So I just add some, and add a contruct version of find familiar and find steed, with more powerful higher level upgrade options that eat up your wondrous invention slots, but you get more of them.

bganon

Explorer
Well, like I said, Rogues also get 5d6+ability modifier when Sneak Attacking with a shortbow.

Rangers can use a longbow and attack twice for 1d8+ability modifier each time; Colossus Slayer adds another 1d8 or Horde Breaker adds 1d8+ability modifier. With Archery Style, the average DPS winds up being more than 5d6+ability modifier. And I haven't even included Hunter's Mark or the revised Favored Enemy yet.

Fighters are similar, but instead of Colossus Slayer/Horde Breaker they have to use Superiority dice and/or Action Surge, which are limited resources. But they do have quite a few (5) of those dice. They also get an additional ASI which boosts their DPS noticably.

Warlocks use Eldritch blast and Agonizing Blast for two 1d10+ability modifier bolts. This is a bit weaker... unless they have Hex up, in which case it's again more damage than 5d6+ability modifier. And of course, Warlocks are full casters with attack spells on their list, so those are available on a limited basis.

So the Gunsmith deals nice damage, and it's especially nice that there aren't requirements to fulfill (like Sneak Attack or Colossus Slayer) or resources to expend (like Superiority dice). But the damage isn't any greater than what other ranged classes can do, and unlike those classes the Gunsmith doesn't get options to increase that damage further. A Battlemaster with a longbow can nova for basically 8d8+quadruple ability mod, which is more than 2.5x more damage than anything the Gunsmith can do. A Warlock can cast Blight for 8d8 (save half).

Dualazi

First Post
Yes, that where I was getting 5d6. So thats every shot? Seems to be one the most powerful range shot classes, no? I'm not being cute, I dig the artificer. Just thought I may have misunderstood how it worked

Not at all. bganon covered most of this already, but ranged attackers with multiple attacks will outpace it as they scale much better with modifiers, ability or otherwise. They are also more consistent, since they can miss some attacks and hit with others, while the alchemist is all or nothing. You can also factor in other class features, like rangers and fighters snagging archery combat style to be more accurate than the alchemist .

Remove ads