• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Artificer Infusions and ASF

vulcan_idic

Explorer
I seem to have an idea that Artificer Infusions are unaffected by arcane spell failure, but I can't recall why I think that or where I got the idea. Can anyone refer my to a solid, real RAW ruling one way or the other so I can confirm or correct my thoughts on the matter?

Quez The Lame

First Post
In the class description of the Artificer it definitely says that infusions are not arcane (neither they are divine), and no word is lost about ASF. Seems to be clear for me.

vulcan_idic

Explorer
Yeah, I know... I looked it through the other night, I had been sure that they weren't, and then someone asked the question and the clearest I could come up with was, well, they're not arcane and it really doesn't say. I was hoping for something a little more concrete - I don't really think it'll happen though given the proofreading in WOTC books of late.

vulcan_idic said:
I was hoping for something a little more concrete - I don't really think it'll happen though given the proofreading in WOTC books of late.

When something is subject to Arcane Spell Failure, it is specifically called out (Wizards, Sorcerors, and Bards).

When something is not subject to ASF, it is not called out.

It's extremely clear, your digs at WotC's editing notwithstanding.

For the record, they also fail to explicitly state whether or not imbuing an infusion causes the artificer to be surrounded by a cloud of butterflies. Darn those editors and their questionable business practices!

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Artificers do not cast spells, so are not subject to ASF. (Warlocks are a specific case and are spelled out explicitly.)

I apply Spell Failure to Divine magic in my campaigns, but not Artificers. They don't cast spells and infusions don't have Somatic components.

Scion

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
For the record, they also fail to explicitly state whether or not imbuing an infusion causes the artificer to be surrounded by a cloud of butterflies. Darn those editors and their questionable business practices!

Odd.. last time my players used this nifty little rod I gave them there 'were' a lot of butterflies around them suddenly.. they must be an artificer! ;)

But yes, arcane spell failure only applies to arcane spells, and only those arcane spells which have somatic components.

It doesnt get much more concrete than saying that they arent arcane ;)

Christian

Explorer
Scion said:
It doesnt get much more concrete than saying that they arent arcane ;)

Not to mention that they aren't spells. They've got to watch out for that NAIF* percentage, though.

*Non-Arcane Infusion Failure

Remove ads