• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Artificer + Maug Fighter

Octal40

Explorer
I'm going to be playing an Artificer in a game that starts next week. We'll all be 7th level. At 1st level, we're all gestalt //fighter. After that, we level up in a single class only. This is for thematic reasons. Another player is going to play as a Maug (Fiend Folio) fighter. Maugs are constructs, but not golems (they don't have construct immunities, but they do get a LOT of immunities). My giggling and snickering goblin artificer will be riding atop his back. Full time if I can make the Concentration checks while the Thull (the Maug) is fighting.

We're 32 point buy, 19k gold, 6.5k/item max.

My questions:
1) What type of artificer should I be? The bufficer and blastificer seem like the best options. I'd like advice from players who have played an artificer with a warforged/construct in the party. What buffs did you find valuable?

2) Since I'm gestalt with Fighter, I get a fighter bonus feat at 1st level. Since I'm going to be almost entirely ranged, Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot seem like a no brainer. But! I'm also interested in dual weilding wands, so grabbing Two Weapon Fighting here seems like a good thing. I'd love to hear from players (or DMs who have had players) who have gone the double wand route.

3) What should I build for a riding basket/saddle? If I go the basket route, can I -- at 7th level -- make the interior an extra dimmensional space? Large enough for a lab to do my work? :D If not, how would you enchant it? There aren't a lot of magic saddle-type items in the books. Plus, I don't need to make Ride checks. I will not steer Thull with my knees. Much easier to just talk to him about a plan of action. Is there a way to make the basket give a bonus to Concentration for the occupant? Can I specify the type of bonus (compentence vs enhancement vs whatever)?

atomn

Explorer
I don't have any advice (I've never played an artificer) but I do like that idea! I like the image that it provides.

NilesB

First Post
Maug are built to be frontline types, but between their -Con and their high LA they never have enough HP to function in that role. Combine that with the fact that Constucts don't get a 10 HP cushion between 0 HP and ceasing to be, and you might want to look into a character that will be fun to play in the likely case your friend's Maug is ground to rubble.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads