• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Artificer UA has been released!

scottieboy86

Explorer
I think arcane weapon is supposed to be more comparable to hex and hunter's mark. Those spells are exclusive to warlocks and rangers, both of which are not "full" casters.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I think arcane weapon is supposed to be more comparable to hex and hunter's mark. Those spells are exclusive to warlocks and rangers, both of which are not "full" casters.

Sure, that makes sense. But I'm also against those spells. Hex, Hunter's Mark, even Eldritch Blast. If a 1st level spell or a cantrip is so tied to the concept of the class, then you find design space to incorporate it into the class. You don't cop out and make it a spell, eligible to be obtained via Magical Secrets or Magic Initiate. Allow those to be abilities with their own resource pool, rather than something that has to compete from a shared resource pool.

scottieboy86

Explorer
Sure, that makes sense. But I'm also against those spells. Hex, Hunter's Mark, even Eldritch Blast. If a 1st level spell or a cantrip is so tied to the concept of the class, then you find design space to incorporate it into the class. You don't cop out and make it a spell, eligible to be obtained via Magical Secrets or Magic Initiate. Allow those to be abilities with their own resource pool, rather than something that has to compete from a shared resource pool.

Yeah I agree, but tis what it tis, and thats the framework that I think is being followed.

Hexblade dip shows up again.

Short Rest slots to use on Arcane Weapon.
That let’s you summon a Homu/Turret 1-2 times every short rest.
Enhanced Weapon makes it a spellcasting focus for both classes.
Synergy with a Arcane Armament.

lkj

Hero
So, I'll admit I'm not that familiar with previous incarnations of the Artificer and haven't done more than glance over Eberron stuff. But my initial impressions:

1) I really like the flavor. It's something different and looks fun.
2) On that same note, I really like the Magical Tinkering feature. It's a nice, flavorful roleplaying ability with utility but not a ton of power. I've found other features like that are really fun at the table. For example, it reminds me of the Conjuring specialty ability for the wizard subclass. That has led to a lot of fun moments in our games.
3) I like that the approach of reflavoring the spells. While I understand the desire to create something different to increase the 'feel', that would be a lot of overhead to basically get to the same place that spells (a system already tested and robust) already serve.
4) I like the infusions. They look fun. The other class abilities seem appropritae and cool
5) The "Alchemy" part of the Alchemist wasn't obvious at first. I mean, it's there-- extra acid damage, list of bonus spells that are alchemy related. Extra acid damage with every related spell. A little construct that spits acid. Add the reflavored spells and I think in play that the subclass will have a strong alchemy feel. But it's a little subtle on the page. I kind of feel the Ranger has this issue as well, where the abilities look a little flat until you add up all the pieces.
6) In contrast, the Artillerist abilities have a very obvious up front feel. I'll be honest-- The whole turret thing is odd to me. Looks fun but just seems like a strange manifestation of an ability. I'm guessing this is because of my lack of experience with Eberron and Artificers in general. Nothing wrong with it, but I wouldn't have imagined that feature beforehand.

My couple cents!

AD

The pits of the 9 Hells, the dungeons of the Feywild, and Cthulhu's gullet are full of people who thought taking magic initiate didn't mean selling your soul :devil:. Just because short-sighted PC's don't think through the consequences of their decisions doesn't mean the infernal accountants haven't given it a lot of thought; a whole soul for a trivial amount of power (compared to a full warlock), that's a good deal... for the patron. That also could explain why patrons don't ride heard so hard on warlocks, who really exist to market "cool warlock powers" to the masses.

5) The "Alchemy" part of the Alchemist wasn't obvious at first. I mean, it's there-- extra acid damage, list of bonus spells that are alchemy related. Extra acid damage with every related spell. A little construct that spits acid. Add the reflavored spells and I think in play that the subclass will have a strong alchemy feel. But it's a little subtle on the page. I kind of feel the Ranger has this issue as well, where the abilities look a little flat until you add up all the pieces.
I definitely recommend checking out the old Artificer. Alchemist in that version has so much flavor, and is such a cool idea. It just needed a little polish and love.

I think I’ll let my players use the old Artificer Archetypes.
They don’t conflict and easily slot into the new Artificer base.

JPL

Adventurer
I want a "Lego video game" specialty. Master Builder. Wave your hands at a pile of raw materials, and they go click-click-click, and bam, you done built something.

Which I guess you can do with the Artillarist.

Why the hell is sanctuary on the spell list? What's the thinking there? Like a quick charm that keep the bad guys from attacking you while you're trying to fix/build/buff something?

Last edited:

Iry

Hero
I think I’ll let my players use the old Artificer Archetypes.
They don’t conflict and easily slot into the new Artificer base.
Mad Scientist (New Alchemist)
Artillerist
Alchemist (Old Alchemist)
Gunsmith

Something like that?

gyor

Legend

I guess you can add find steed, find familiar, and Temple of the Gods Spell to that list.

Remove ads