• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Artificer UA to be released in February

I don't think there is a bunker strong enough to endure the fanbase exploding over this.

Iry

Hero
Not liking the shape of this. It's certainly powerful in a batman-utility sort of way, but I didn't expect the Artificer to become a "Must Have Pet" class. My potion thrower is gone, and the party Beastmaster is giving me side-eye.

Unless you can put Returning Weapon on the potions you throw.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
First thing I notice... Artificer's as far as I now are now the first class to be able to change out cantrips.. as well as being the only 1/2 caster class to have cantrips at all. "When you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of the artificer cantrips you know with another cantrip from the artificer spell list." This makes them a bit more forgiving for new players. … Then they double down on that at level 10 and with the Artillerist subclass with Wand Prototype ... interesting even if cantrip over kill.

Also, my first look at their current spell list makes me think, where is unseen servant? They are ritual casters and an extra pair of hands seems like something they would want.

Infuse Magic at lvl 4 was what I liked best about the Artificer... now its spell storing at level 18 and limited to 1st and 2nd level spells. That limits its best use to Disguise Self, Alter self, Expeditious Retreat, Blur, See invisible, Enlarge/Reduce, heat metal, Invisibility, shield of faith, and then New Arcane Weapon. That's not a bad list, the loss of fly, haste, and revivify hurt it but don't break it. The biggest thing here is that at level 18 your not likely to ever seen perhaps one of the most unique and interesting abilities of the artificer. If they could drop it to the 10 ability it would be way better since at level 18 its underwhelming but a little useful but at level 10 its pretty good. ...In my opinion.

Infuse Item does feel more like an artificer than the previous version namely when it comes to Replicate Magic item in replace of the free magic items from Wonderous Invention. Really this takes a bit of a page from warlock Eldritch Invocations and opens up the class to greater player to player variation... WHICH I LOVE!! This is a great improvement. ...In my opinion.

But the Subclass Crafting bonus..... That makes the Artificer actually and artificer. Hell yes! I generally like the new subclasses better, they are less cumbersome. They seemed like they were trying to be too much their own thing before. They seem to haves successfully made the artificer more an artificer and subclasses feel more like specialties than almost entirely new classes.

Over all... It's much improved from my prospective. I am also hopeful for a scroll based subclass, I keep thinking of a 3 Naruto characters, one who used scrolls like Drawmij's Instant Summons (pulling weapons and equipment out of a scroll, kind of like robe of many things), the summoned illusion enemies to fight like Simulacrum (A paper mache decoy fighter), while another used things like symbol (buff/debuff), glyph of warding (exploding notes) and Illusory Script (secret notes)… combining something like that would make cool option I think.

Edited: updates after going through it all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Not liking the shape of this. It's certainly powerful in a batman-utility sort of way, but I didn't expect the Artificer to become a "Must Have Pet" class. My potion thrower is gone, and the party Beastmaster is giving me side-eye.

Unless you can put Returning Weapon on the potions you throw.

The potion-throwing is definitely there, if you look at how the base Spellcasting works: seen particularly how it interacts with Alchemical Mastery.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
First thing I notice... Artificer's as far as I now are now the first class to be able to change out cantrips..

"When you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of the artificer cantrips you know with another cantrip from the artificer spell list."

Am I wrong? This makes them a bit more forgiving for new players.

Clerics and Druids already do that.

However, the other half-casters don't even get Cantrips to begin with, so that's new.

Iry

Hero
The potion-throwing is definitely there, if you look at how the base Spellcasting works: seen particularly how it interacts with Alchemical Mastery.
That's just casting spells with a slight buff, which they could already fluff as whatever they want. Not an actual potion throwing mechanic.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's just casting spells with a slight buff, which they could already fluff as whatever they want. Not an actual potion throwing mechanic.

Using alchemist tools is a change up in mechanics: and why do they need completely new mechanics if a slight tweak and reflavoring does the job?

I like how this Artificer works with material components the way the Bard does with vocal: adds some symmetry.

A

André Soares

I've really liked it at first glance. The way they dealt with fireweapons was ellegant in my opinion.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads