D&D 5E Artificer - What concepts are missing?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
A lot of the concepts being presented here could just be re-flavored versions of the core classes.

Like a Swarm-Maker "Artificer" could be a Swarmkeeper Ranger who wears gloves and a beekeeper's bonnet, and stocks his spell component pouch with vials of different pheromones to attract insects, bats, rats, and such.

My mutagen-drinking "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hide" artificer could just be a Transmuter wizard that I describe as always wearing goggles and a lab coat, and carrying around vials of different reagents. He calls his spells "mutagens," and calls his spellbook a "formula book."

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
A lot of the concepts being presented here could just be re-flavored versions of the core classes.

Like a Swarm-Maker "Artificer" could be a Swarmkeeper Ranger who wears gloves and a beekeeper's bonnet, and stocks his spell component pouch with vials of different pheromones to attract insects, bats, rats, and such.

My mutagen-drinking "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hide" artificer could just be a Transmuter wizard that I describe as always wearing goggles and a lab coat, and carrying around vials of different reagents. He calls his spells "mutagens," and calls his spellbook a "formula book."
Irrelevant. Almost anything in the game could be reflavored something else in the game.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The Drakkenheim supplement (sebastien crowe's guide to drakkenheim) has an excellent class called the apothecary - it's a bit like if an alchemist used warlock(ish) spellcasting. They have a number of subclasses that overlap quite well with the artificer, like the mutagenist (turn into hulk), Reanimator (build the hulk) chemist (boom), pathogenist (disease),

Zardnaar

Legend
The Drakkenheim supplement (sebastien crowe's guide to drakkenheim) has an excellent class called the apothecary - it's a bit like if an alchemist used warlock(ish) spellcasting. They have a number of subclasses that overlap quite well with the artificer, like the mutagenist (turn into hulk), Reanimator (build the hulk) chemist (boom), pathogenist (disease),

Dungeon dudes world iirc?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Correct :)

I've only personally playtested (level 2-6 ongoing) a mutagenist, which allows me to trade a spell slot to "hulk up" - it's a bit like playing a barbarian in combat, and a scholar out of combat :)

did you turn green in the process?

So can Artificier do all of the Avengers?
  • Ironman - Armorer Artificer with the Keen Mind feat.
  • Hulk - Goliath Beserker Barbarian Mutagenist
  • Falcon - Battlesmith with wings of flying and flight enabled steel defender
  • War Machine - Armorer Artificer with the Gunner feat.
  • Black Panther - Way of Shadows Monk with the Artificer Initiate feat.
  • Ant-man - Thief Rogue with Artificer Initiate feat and custom Armor equipped with potion of Enlarge/Reduce.
  • Wasp - Artillerist Artificer who’s cannons are wrist mounted and armour equipped with wings of flying (insectoid)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
did you turn green in the process?

So can Artificier do all of the Avengers?
  • Ironman - Armorer Artificer with the Keen Mind feat.
  • Hulk - Goliath Beserker Barbarian Mutagenist
  • Falcon - Battlesmith with wings of flying and flight enabled steel defender
  • War Machine - Armorer Artificer with the Gunner feat.
  • Black Panther - Way of Shadows Monk with the Artificer Initiate feat.
  • Ant-man - Thief Rogue with Artificer Initiate feat and custom Armor equipped with potion of Enlarge/Reduce.
  • Wasp - Artillerist Artificer who’s cannons are wrist mounted and armour equipped with wings of flying (insectoid)
You don't even need the beserker. Shifting gives you a 1d10 base damage slam, your int (it's an int based class) and strenght flip, you gain temp hp, a bit more damage, improved ac and mobility , and a few other features. So my PC, when changed, plays in a much more aggressive, straight forward way. I guess you aren't really "bezerk" granted, so perhaps the barbarian is still needed... but the power of the transformation is partially dependent on the level of the slot used, so the barbarian dip will hurt.

Remove ads