• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Artificers, a general (positive) rant

EricNoah

Adventurer
jRocket said:
If you take the legendary artisan and extraordinary artisan feats 4 times each, you can make magic items for free, without XP cost.
I'm almost certain that I read that this was in error -- you can't take these feats more than once each despite what the notes in the EbCS indicate.

On a different note, I'm playing an artificer as well. I like the crafty side of it but I don't think I'm doing a good job of picking the right infusion for the right task. I am going to multiclass to psion for a while and see how that works out. My DM's going to help with some house rules that will eventually allow me to use my Artificer crafting powers to make psionic items.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Are the legendary artisan and extraordinary artisan feats like weapon focus - that is, you choose an item creation feat for them to work on?

J

Staffan

Legend
drnuncheon said:
Are the legendary artisan and extraordinary artisan feats like weapon focus - that is, you choose an item creation feat for them to work on?
No. This sets them apart from the FR Magical Artisan feat - the FR feat reduces all aspects of creation cost (money, time, and XP) for a single item type, while the Eberron feat only reduces one aspect, but for all item types.

vtaltos

Explorer
Just wanted to add my 2cp, having read MANY posts by Hellcow and others about artificers. Much of this is supposed to be in the fabled ECS erratta:
Metamagic feats cannot be applied to infusions.
the artisan feats may only be taken once
and you may be limited to one metamagic feat for metamagic spelltrigger ( though Hellcow was a bit vague on this one )

jasin

Explorer
vtaltos said:
Just wanted to add my 2cp, having read MANY posts by Hellcow and others about artificers. Much of this is supposed to be in the fabled ECS erratta:
Metamagic feats cannot be applied to infusions.
Why is that? I haven't noticed anything really broken that can be achieved by allowing it. Except, perhaps, applying Extend spell to spell storing item, possibly extending it into the next day, allowing you to double up on stored spells if you have a day to spare.

the artisan feats may only be taken once
I've also heard the version where you first apply the one feat before the next, so the first feat lets you craft items at 75% cost, the next at 75% of 75% i.e. 56.25%...

Simply allowing them to stack makes more sense, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads