• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Artificers: Sucky?

Kinneus

Explorer
And to top it off... magic weapon itself always has a +1 to hit anyhow. It's really brilliant. The only bad thing? It overshadows the other at-wills (some of which really suck), which can make low-level gameplay rather boring (before encounter powers matter as much).
Heh, I just had my first game with him last night, and this was precisely the problem I had. I call it "Twin Strike Syndrome," where your at-will power is decidedly better than pretty much everything else I can do. I made some poor choices, too... Aggravating Force and Flaming Weapons, which didn't add much to the table.

mneme

Explorer
Yeah, that's terrible. AF and FW are both pretty much weaker versions of Magic Weapon, and one's an encounter power at that.

Hmm. For a dwarven artificer, I'd be looking (aside from MW -- a gimme) at abilities that did their main thing without hitting; that way you avoid the penalties from having a lower Int than most artificers.

So...

At will: Thundering Armor (+1 AC to an ally even if it misses, push on a hit)
Encounter: Shielding cube -- but I'd be tempted to deviate from this rule and use Scouring Cube, which gives everyone +2 to hit the target's AC (-2 to AC) for a round if it hits.
Dailies: A few good choices here:
Flameburst armor: Auto damage is really not terrible, particularly an auto damaging burst 1 that marks foes. Drop it on the fighter and have fun.
Icebound Sigil -- hand it to the avenger or rogue for maximum damage potential. Or put it on your own weapon or implement and get damage like unto a striker.
Caustic Rampart: Great controller fun; doesn't need to hit.

keterys

First Post
I actually like Flaming Weapons on my dwarf artificer, because I can stack it with magic weapon in an AP nova round (+10 to everyone's damage this round, go murderize!) and it has greater ranger when I have a couple party mates two away to give bonuses to.

I've been doing that Dwarf Artificer from 1st to 10th and it's been very good so far - I actually use multiple magic weapons and a Claw familiar so I can switch weapons, though. Magic Weapon with an Executioner's Axe is pretty satisfying :) Distance handaxes are no greatbow, but they've been enough range for me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads