• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Artist Tony DiTerlizzi Reflects On 25 Years of Planescape

Renowned artist Tony DiTerlizzi took to Twitter to look back at some of his original Planescape sketches and art.

Renowned artist Tony DiTerlizzi took to Twitter to look back at some of his original Planescape sketches and art.

Each image below is a link to a single tweet containing 3-4 images. Click on each to see them all!

"It’s hard to believe D&D’s “Planescape” is 25 years old. I don’t have many preliminary sketches as the tight deadlines had me going straight to final art. It was an exhilarating time in my career. My energy and enthusiasm knew no bounds."

Dw9rkfBWwAABmFf.jpg

"More developmental sketches from the D&D “Planescape” campaign boxed set 1993-94:"

Dw-hd8wXQAImzuo.jpg

"In the fall of 1993, I’d been sent a pile of copies of Dana Knutson’s concepts to work from. Sadly none can be found in my files, though I do have this early (perhaps first) drawing of a tiefling."

Dw-iFgEXgAEhaiH.jpg

"...and here are several more. Some of these “flavor sketches” (like the Skeksis-ripoff) were ultimately published to fill spaces in the booklets."

Dw_aWxEWsAApRYk.jpg

"The 25th Anniversary of D&D’s “Planescape” continues with more preliminary sketches and the start of finished illustrations. You can see how the sketches developed into finished pen & ink drawings."

DxCrq9zWkAAQjYl.jpg

"Also seen are more of Dana Knutson’s concepts (from “The Planescape Sketchbook”) and photo reference of my bride-to-be."

DxCr3nsW0AIPYqr.jpg

"...and some original art from 1983’s “AD&D Monster Manual II” showing the original design of the Modrons alongside my 1994 reinterpretation. I’m delighted to see these weird little guys are a part of 5th edition."

DxCsJ0JXgAYyiJi.jpg

"Lastly, Interior art—including some of the two-color art, which remained tricky to print throughout production. I’ve tried to find pieces that were not printed in [Dark Horse Comics] “Realms: The RPG Art of Tony DiTerlizzi”, which collects many of my finished Planescape pieces."

DxCs97UXcAEZnfI.jpg

BBShockwave

First Post
I always loved Planescape, probably one of my favourite settings. It is Diterlizzi who made Modrons well known (the 1983 artwork of them is horrible) and the various mechanical parts and lenses have become the staple for them since then. Hard to believe we had to wait until last year to finally get miniatures of them, but now we have the Monodrone, Duodone, Quadrone and Pentadrone out as Icons of the Realms minis finally!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads