D&D 5E As a DM, how do you handle monster hit points?

I do the following:

• Average hit points. Always.

Votes: 28 33.3%
  • I roll dice.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Maximum hit points. Always.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I use a percentage (70% of max, 80% of max, what have you.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • It depends on the monster/NPC.

Votes: 35 41.7%
  • Minimum hit points, combat is boring, let's get it over with!

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Something else.

Votes: 6 7.1%

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Sometimes a monster seems like it will fold far too quickly for it's CR, other times it's quite the opposite (especially with third party creations). Do you ever adjust the hit points of monsters, and what is your preference?

Vast majority of times it's average, every once in a while I adjust.
Yeah same. If I adjust that I'd probably just add HD and adjust the CR. If players don't get to roll - and no group I've played 5E with has ever rolled for HP - then I don't see why monsters would, doesn't really make sense. Sometimes I'd make them a few HP higher/lower just to avoid the actual precise number being obvious, but not usually even that.

Oofta

Legend
Yeah same. If I adjust that I'd probably just add HD and adjust the CR. If players don't get to roll - and no group I've played 5E with has ever rolled for HP - then I don't see why monsters would, doesn't really make sense. Sometimes I'd make them a few HP higher/lower just to avoid the actual precise number being obvious, but not usually even that.
There are a couple of monsters from the MM that I bump up their HP, others I drop because of the role I want them to play in the encounter. The only thing I virtually never do is change HP on the fly, what I had down at the start of the encounter is what they have.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
My players roll for their PCs, and I roll for the monsters.

Remove ads