As a DM, how would you catch...

The_Universe

First Post
The Consecrated Harrier from Complete Divine, the Justiciar from the Complete Warrior, and the Bloodhound from Complete Adventurer are all good "detective" style classes - at least one of them has an ability to "discern truth" in questioning (I think it's the consecrated harrier).

Kealios

Explorer
Feyd Rautha said:
How did the druid turn invisible? An owl is a tiny creature and a flyer and thus cannot fly while carrying a terrier. I mean think of how big a coconut...terrier is! None of the guards had ranged weapons? Was it Transport via Plants or Tree Stride...there's a big difference?

The action was spontaneous and very well role-played. She defeated a powerful spellcaster 2 levels higher than her with a quick-thinking spell and lived to tell about it (had the psion failed the first save of Baleful Polymorph but made the second, and then been grappled, the owl would have been struck from underneath by some very powerful offensive magic...and likely not lived).

Even though it was shocking that she "got away" with it, I was actually very impressed. Yea, consequences are coming, but it was great fun. She went invisible by being cast upon by another PC in the group, and the flight to the house and the wait for the merchant to come outside was done quickly, within the timelimit of the spell. Transport via Plants was the spell used to exit the city, and the druid had a feat that let her cast in animal form. The guards had ranged weapons, but I rolled a spot and none saw (I rolled quite low!). The dog was ruled small enough because of the intent of the druid, and even if it didnt "fly" completely by game mechanics, we were having so much fun in the mayhem of the moment that I felt it moved the game along nicely, and allowed it.

5.) Scry and teleport in capture crews. If the PCs are known then there is nothing preventing this. Wait until they are camped and teleport in with overwhelming force. If you can KO or incapacitate the people on watch before combat breaks out then it's all over. Otherwise simply have a +5 or higher CR encounter where they are all using merciful armor spikes and grappling. If they don't surrender after seeing what they face then feel free to throw "resisting arrest" into the mix.

Oh boy, so many good ideas. Pondering this, I suddenly realized that I've made this exceedingly complicated. Let's lay out the plot. Rich, if you're reading this and have made it this far, OUT :)

The psion was part of a huge, evil organization. The PC's have been warring on them for a few months game-time. They wanted information on the leadership of the Moonguard, kidnapped the merchant/psion, and were crushed when she was killed before they used Speak with Animals to befriend and get info from her (Fiend Folio has a prestige class in the back of the book that lets a demon grant clerical powers, and also can kill his followers at a distance. The PC's know nothing about this).

Just before they kidnapped her, they had discovered that the merchant had been an integral part in hiring a huge force of unskilled laborers who were being paid handsomely to head into the desert to the south and start an archaelogical dig for an artifact that was yet unnamed. Once the terrier/merchant/psion was dead, the PC's teleported back to a local town (not the one they kidnapped the lady from), where they intercepted and joined the caravan as caravan guards. They are now heading south...and that's where I left the campaign 3 months ago (my wife had a baby, so I switched DM spots with a fellow gamer until I could get back on my feet).

Here are my upcoming plot twists:
1. A paladin from the first encounted of the game (well over a year ago) is making his reappearance as a Moonguard Blackguard. The PC's have a few items of his, and this dude is pissed. He has been stalking the PC's, but they dont really know it. I was going to have him confront the PC's by luring them away from the caravan one evening and escalate things to a brawl...and hopefully have the blackguard get away, leaving a reoccuring villain for them to ponder about.

2. The caravan the PC's are in is led and funded by the Moonguard, even though they are using local laborers to do the dirty work. There are an even amount of even-leveled NPCs who are Moonguard officers in the caravan. I suppose a simple Message spell to them would suffice to start a brawl--but then the PC's would be completely stuck as to find out where the dig would take place. But I guess that's part of the fun of bieng a PC...and they do have a bard (I hate the Diplomacy and Gather Information skill, since they seem like a single roll can unravel so much of my carefully-laid secrets).

3. Planning on teleporting in a Justice Crew from the city would basically mirror Issue #2; it would halt the storyline by making one or some of the PC's serve jail time while the caravan proceeds on, and would prevent the PC's from being able to reintegrate themselves into the expedition--their cover would be blown.

All very interesting options...and this is why I love being a DM. It's so much more interactive than being a mere player :)

Feyd Rautha

First Post
Kealios said:
Here are my upcoming plot twists:
1. A paladin from the first encounted of the game (well over a year ago) is making his reappearance as a Moonguard Blackguard. The PC's have a few items of his, and this dude is pissed. He has been stalking the PC's, but they dont really know it. I was going to have him confront the PC's by luring them away from the caravan one evening and escalate things to a brawl...and hopefully have the blackguard get away, leaving a reoccuring villain for them to ponder about.

Hee hee hee... you should have him show up as the paladin and infiltrate them until he's on guard alone. Then he sells them into slavery!

Kealios said:
2. The caravan the PC's are in is led and funded by the Moonguard, even though they are using local laborers to do the dirty work. There are an even amount of even-leveled NPCs who are Moonguard officers in the caravan. I suppose a simple Message spell to them would suffice to start a brawl--but then the PC's would be completely stuck as to find out where the dig would take place. But I guess that's part of the fun of bieng a PC...and they do have a bard (I hate the Diplomacy and Gather Information skill, since they seem like a single roll can unravel so much of my carefully-laid secrets).

Just because Diplomacy and Gather Information are useful doesn't mean that they're gamebreaking! Your carefully laid plans are safe as long as you know who knows them. If the PCs approach those people I doubt there would be a problem with them recognizing them. Every Tom, Dick and Harry doesn't know the BBEG's plans. I am not quite sure where you're having problems.

As for researching where the dig is taking place I would say doing some research at a major library (mayhaps in the lawful good kingdom) would provide clues as to the background of the region. A bardic knowledge check could put them on the right track.

Kealios said:
3. Planning on teleporting in a Justice Crew from the city would basically mirror Issue #2; it would halt the storyline by making one or some of the PC's serve jail time while the caravan proceeds on, and would prevent the PC's from being able to reintegrate themselves into the expedition--their cover would be blown.

All very interesting options...and this is why I love being a DM. It's so much more interactive than being a mere player :)

They shouldn't be able to have cover having been made by the BBEGs. He'd immediately alert all of his commanders and they would be on the lookout for people matching specific descriptions. I think that this would play nicely...

1.) Commander of the caravan expedition is warned about those matching the PCs description. He sends a reply or a messenger on horseback saying that they are indeed there.

2.) BBEGs in Lawful Good land set the hunters on the trail and they capture the PCs (1 hunter per PC who is 4 levels higher should gaurantee it).

3.) PCs are put on trial and expose the corruption.

4.) BBEGs swear that they were being dominated and escape prosecution, but scholars alert the PCs to the location of the artifact that they've found in their research

5.) PCs hurry along to the desert and interrupt the uncovering of the artifact.

A few things about the hunters... Make sure they have freedom of movement up. A druid can really slow things down if he winds up going first and I'm sure other problems could arise. If you make them Justicars then they can really put the hurt on the players without killing them. It's a horribly evil feat to give somebody, but you could make them spike chain wielders with the "Mage Slayer" feat so casters cannot cast defensively.

Anyway, have fun and good luck...

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Kealios said:
2. The caravan the PC's are in is led and funded by the Moonguard, even though they are using local laborers to do the dirty work. There are an even amount of even-leveled NPCs who are Moonguard officers in the caravan. I suppose a simple Message spell to them would suffice to start a brawl--but then the PC's would be completely stuck as to find out where the dig would take place.

Not necessarily. The Moonguard officers could decide to run a doublecross on the PC's - let them think they're getting away with infiltrating the caravan, lure them into a false sense of security, and then whack them/sacrifice them/imprison them in a needlessly complex deathtrap, etc. Surely when the artifact is dug up, sacrifices will be required...

Old Drew Id

First Post
Quick reply before I run into a meeting:

If you pay one group 1000 gp to arrest the PC's, and they fail, you just spent 1,000 gp with nothing to show for it.

If you instead PUBLICLY OFFER 1,000 gp to the first group to arrest the PC's, then you can send one group after another after the PC's, as every mercenary in the area will go after the PC's, and if they fail, it costs you nothing.

The latter method is my recommendation.

Kealios said:
(I hate the Diplomacy and Gather Information skill, since they seem like a single roll can unravel so much of my carefully-laid secrets).

Hah, someone's been abusing their bardly abilities, eh? Gather information generally lets you quickly learn public information and almost never let you uncover secret cabals.

From the RSRD said:
An evening’s time, a few gold pieces for buying drinks and making friends, and a DC 10 Gather Information check get you a general idea of a city’s major news items, assuming there are no obvious reasons why the information would be withheld.

Diplomacy will let a bard become seen as a friendly fellow but you don't tell every likeable guy about your secret plan to assassinate the king if you aren't going to invite him into your little scheme.

Old Drew Id said:
If you instead PUBLICLY OFFER 1,000 gp to the first group to arrest the PC's, then you can send one group after another after the PC's, as every mercenary in the area will go after the PC's, and if they fail, it costs you nothing.

Rewards are good but not everyone has managed to ID the players. The city, a few of her business partners, and probably her heir will put up a reasonably sized bounty "for the capture of the persons responsible for mystically assaulting, kidnapping, and causing the death of ...." This can easily result in a number of low-level, good-aligned groups of heroes hunting down the PCs. (great distraction and filler combats.)

We can assume the fiend who killed the psion scried her before killing her so he's got a visual on the PCs and possibly some info on their names. High level members of the cult will have sketches of the PCs and lower level types will be told to be on the lookout for nosy people and distinctive PCs ("If you see a one-legged gnome....")

Remove ads