D&D 5E As a Player, How Would You Beat This?

Mad_Jack

Legend
One question - does the party know they're designing the vault to guard against their own entry before they do it?

A clever party may be able to set up the defenses so that they contain vulnerabilities that can be exploited by clever use of the particular suite of abilities they possess in combination with one another that may not be immediately obvious...

plisnithus8

Adventurer
One question - does the party know they're designing the vault to guard against their own entry before they do it?

A clever party may be able to set up the defenses so that they contain vulnerabilities that can be exploited by clever use of the particular suite of abilities they possess in combination with one another that may not be immediately obvious...

Again, sorry if this wasn't clear from the beginning.
I separated out the 3 parts so you, like the players would only know one part at a time.
- They design a vault. Cool.
- They then learn they have to break into said vault themselves; they can plan for this. Not cool, some things have been changed that they don't know about.
- Once (or if) they break in, they learn that a PC's daughter is what being held (against her will) in the vault. The guards will target her.

Satyrn

First Post
Part 1: Portable hole. Hire guards like the President's Secret Service entourage and have one of them always carrying the football. Since my gnome battlemaster already has a portable hole, and the patron only needs it for a week, I'd lend him mine (once I clear out the beer)

Part 2: I would decline, as the only way to get at the vault is to incapacitate the guards and I wouldn't want to accidentally kill any of them.

MarkB

Legend
"So, you want to make the place impregnable, and it needs to stay that way for a week? Easy. Hire us to guard it - we don't have any plans for the next week, and we'll happily take on the gig for 2000 gp each."

aco175

Legend
I would like to design something cool that would be something I would like to play in and have fun. With 10,000 I could make a pendulum trap that swings across a bridge knocking the PCs into a 30ft pit with a Gelatinous Cube. Not terribly difficult for 5th level, but throw in a dozen guards shooting across the bridge, and add a mage with push spells, and add a tripwire to collapse the bridge if they get too close.

To defeat this I may need area spells for the archers and the mage while the tanks slay the ooze in the pit.

Not sure how to protect the girl coming back. If a tank carries her, they may need to climb down and back up the pit or get attacked by more guards, since they are only 2gp per day.

Remove ads