[Asgard 8] Art Thread - Art Needed!

The original thread is in general discussion, and you should reply there, but I'll post the full details here too.

Hi all. This thread is directed primarily at the artists on the boards, since once again, we are asking for volunteers from the community to help out with ENWorld's free pdf d20 magazine, Asgard. Issue 8 is due out before Christmas, and we're hoping that this issue will be diverse enough to be a present for all the gamers in this community. For people who aren't going to be submitting art, you can at least read this thread to see what articles are going to be in Asgard 8.

If Scarogoth sees this (he's Nat20's layout guy), he might ask for a few illustrations to help him lay out the issue. He mentioned his requests to me a few days ago, but I haven't been able to get in touch, so hopefully he'll drop by.

One other thing. I think I've notified all the authors of articles if theirs made the cut, but Thanksgiving threw me off a little, so if I forgot to drop you a line, email me so we can discuss any last-minute changes I'd suggest.

Submitting Art: If you are an artist and you want to help us out for this issue, I'll need you to do two things. First, post a thread on the Art Gallery forum where you either post or link to some of your work, as a portfolio of sorts. Then, post a link to that thread here in a reply. If you already have a thread there, as many of you do, just post the link. Also, please provide an email address that I can contact you at.

Second, from the following list of articles and desired art pieces, post what pieces you are interested in doing, in order of preference. I'll try to accomodate everyone, and by posting publicly here, it makes it easier for me and you to keep track of who's doing what.

On Thursday, or earlier if I get a lot of quick responses, I'll post here who is getting what assignments. The deadline for art is going to be one week thereafter, Thursday, December 12. Remember that all work for Asgard is volunteer, so we can't pay you, but at least four artists who have worked in Asgard before have gotten jobs with Natural 20 Press or other d20 publishers. If nothing else, you'll make all the gamers at ENWorld happy by contributing to the magazine.

Article List:
Some articles aren't listed here, because they don't need art, or because they're being handled already, but this is a pretty good idea of what you'll see in issue 8. Since we aren't paying you, we're fairly flexible with requirements. The pieces listed below are suggestions; since you're doing this in your own free time, feel free to go your own way with them.

Cover: Dave Hendee, littlejohn on these boards, is providing us with a cover. I can't wait to see it. :)

Unholy Days: Fitting with our vague holiday-theme, this article presents 5 sample holidays that are anything but merry and happy.

During the orcish Blood Moon, where orcish warbands gather around a volcano, their priests deciding who will lead them in their holiday of bloody rampage.

During the winter solstice festival of Everdark, followers of a cult of undeath sacrifice those who will not be missed by society, turning them into blessed zombies.

The Rite of the Elder Stone is a celebration of the mind flayers, where power psions gather to try to ressurect their alien deity from its primordial stone remains.

Sheathnight is a masquerade-like gathering of prominent assassins, who all agree to relax for one night with no fear, since all vow to kill any who take violent action against a fellow assassin that night.

Finally, the Tithe of Souls is a sorrowful holiday. The members of the Traveling Folk made a pact with a dark entity that now claims one-sixth of the souls of their people. During the festival, the Traveling Folk are forced to sacrifice one-sixth of their number before a huge bonfire, and as the victims die, their souls are wrenched from their bodies.

I'm sure you can think of worthy representations of these festivals.

Adapting Prestige Classes: This article is advice for fitting published prestige classes into your own game. Since we didn't want to step on the toes of other publishers, all the prestige classes used in examples are either from the core rules, or from previous issues of Asgard. For an illustration, we'd like one or two pairs of characters, showing the same prestige class with different looks. For example, show an Inuit-like hunter sneaking through snow with an antler dagger (an assassin), and contrast him with a more traditional Islamic hashshasin assassin, or maybe two different versions of the Ley-Line Magus from Asgard 3, one a celtic druid type, the other a more high-fantasy-looking sorcerer akin to planeswalkers from Magic: the Gathering.

Herald of the Echoed Souls: A psionic-bardic prestige class written by me, they can tap into the souls and minds of other creatures to be excellent negotiators and diplomats. However, they can also take on aspects of beasts, making them fair warriors. The iconic Herald is a strong male, standing tall and intimidating, with a face, build, and clothing like an African Massai tribesman. To show off his abilities, he might be contemplating his arm, which he has transformed into a bear claw.

Optimized Power Attack: This article presents a chart showing what amount of power attacking is most effective at different levels vs. different ACs, and provides advice for using Power Attack in general. Any sort of illustration showing a warrior beating the crap out of something would work, even a monk breaking through a brick with her hand.

Father Winter: From the same man who brings you the Deity-a-Week thread, Father Winter is a minor god of gift-giving and kindness for the winter holidays. Okay, he's Santa, but with a fantasy-world feel. His holy symbol is a decorated evergreen tree, and he either looks like Santa, or like a spirit of the winter forest, a tall, pale, and skinny, with a long beard. :)

Shieldmage: A defensive spellcaster prestige class, whose abilities focus on his shield. Often Shieldmages are hired as bodyguards for nobles, and thus an illustration might be a mage with an arcane shield on his arm, looking of his shoulder for trouble while he puts out a warning arm to stop the noble he's guarding.

How the Grinch Stole Gaming: Sadly, I don't know if an illustration could do justice for this poem. If you think you can accomplish the lofty task of giving a visual image for Mark's poem, send me an email with a thumbnail, but I think the poem is great enough on its own.

A Southern Christmas: A purely light-hearted article (except for its stats for kangaroos, which take the place of reindeer in some Christmas stories Down Under), feel free to fiddle with mixtures of Australian and Christmasy images. The article includes the "Red-nosed" Template.

Wintry Monsters: A trio of arctic creatures from the Creature Catalog's Erica Balsley, the illustrations for this article have already been covered.

Extraordinary Cavalry: This article provides guidelines for having unusual types of mounts, particularly griffons, rhinoceroses, elk, zebras, spider eaters, moose, and bears. If you like drawing beasts, go for it.

I think that should be all. Please, post here if you have any questions, and I thank you in advance for all the help.

Last edited:

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Hey man, you could have let me know that you weren't using my cover idea or anything else. I've just been sitting here waiting for word, ready to start.

Very sorry. The past two weeks were all leading up to getting Elements of Magic out, and then Thanksgiving, so I got almost no other work done during that time. Your idea could work great for an interior illustration (maybe something to put in the editorial), but I decided it was a little too comic for a cover image, especially since that would make two issues in a row with humorous covers.

s/LaSH

First Post
I'm willing to contribute. Here's my thread link: http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32359, and I can be contacted at eslashnz@yahoo.co.nz.

As for what I'd like to do, I'm open to any suggestions, and in particular I'm up for any holidays (I could have fun with the orcish volcano celebration; I live four hour's drive from the place they filmed Mordor), Optimised Power Attacks, Southern Christmas (I'm a New Zealander, not an Aussie, but that's close enough and we've got our own unique Christmassy things), and Extraordinary Cavalry (I could definitely adapt some twisted beasties for that). But if there are gaps I'd be happy to fill them, no matter the content.

Here are a few additional links to demonstrate what I do with colour (bear in mind that I can work in black and white if needed, and that these strips are part of a storyline):

Goblin shaman in evil costume

Hellhound with a new look (and in subsequent strips)

Assorted beatings here, here (and the next one) and here (read on from there, there's some more violence immediately afterwards).

PS: If you want me to do art stuff, would it be colour or black and white, and does it make a difference?

Edit: Added email, oops

Last edited:

Kip the Bold

First Post
Hello, I am willing to do a couple of pics...you can see some examples of my art in these threads http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19878 and http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14739
and also at Elfwood, there is a link in my profile.

As for what I would like to draw in order of preference;any of the holidays (they sound pretty cool), the shieldmage, extrodinary cavalry, adapting prestige classes, herald of the echoed souls, and optimized power attack. I can probably manage to do 3 or 4 color pics by next Thursday, if you need that many. You can email me at colorzeroone@aol.com.

Last edited:

Capellan

Explorer
I already raised the GD thread, may as well raise this one too ...

Is anyone who did art for the 'Unholy Days' article still subscribed to this thread? (Probably not, but I thought I'd check ...)

I'm the author of the article, and it's now found a new home at Emerald Sage (slated to be in issue 2). If you've still got the art, and you'd be interested in having it included with the article, could you drop me a line? My e-mail is in my profile.

Thanks

Remove ads