• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ashamed of being a Gamer?

malcolypse

First Post
I guess I'm more like Charlemagne or Merovich to those probably don't want to hear it, I say, "Convert or die!" (I don't actually kill them, but proselytize them to death...)

"Game or death?" That's a pretty easy question. Anyone could answer that.

"Game or death?"

"Eh, game please."

"Very well! Give him game!"

"Oh, thanks very much. It's very nice."

"You! Game or death?"

“Uh, game for me, too, please."

"Very well! Give him game, too! We're gonna run out of game at this rate. You! Game or death?"

"Uh, death, please. No, game! Game! Game, sorry. Sorry..."

"You said death first, uh-uh, death first!"

"Well, I meant game!"

"Oh, all right."

Somebody get Eddie Izzard on the phone! gamerprinter and I just wrote some great material for his next show!

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Hoping to not go too far into politics for this board, generally speaking, in the US, they can fire you for (almost) any reason, at any time. It's called "at will employment".

The only illegal reasons to fire somebody if you are doing it because they are a "protected class" (Race, Color, Religion, National Origin, Age 40 or over, Sex, Disability, Veteran or Military status, or genetic information), those protections are in Federal law. Some states add some additional protections like LBGT status.

Generally speaking, in the US it's legal to fire an employee because of the car they drive, the sports team they like, if they are LBGT, what street they live on, or what they had for dinner last night. . .just as long as it's not one of the specific reasons listed above.

I'd say more about the entire system, but my commentary on that would go way far afield of this boards politics rules.

I don't want to breach the politics rules but frankly I am horrified by this. If a company tried that over here in the UK you would sue them for unfair dismissal and win. You need a legit reason here and someone's out of work hobbies are certainly not one of them.

My dad was in the Navy and he knew a ton of gamers in the military and that's how he got into it (I got into it from school).

I'm in Australia. One of the players in my game was in the Navy. He has a number of stories of campaigns he played while posted out at sea.

He is no longer in the Navy, but said that when he was (in the 80's and 90's), there was quite a lot of roleplayers and wargamers.

Olaf the Stout

Cor Azer

First Post
I don't want to breach the politics rules but frankly I am horrified by this. If a company tried that over here in the UK you would sue them for unfair dismissal and win. You need a legit reason here and someone's out of work hobbies are certainly not one of them.

To be fair, the flip side of it is that the employee can quit for any reason and not be penalized.

And employers and employees are always allowed to sign contracts specifying further restrictions on either party if all agree. The "at-will" part is just the default. (Or such is my understanding)

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
RPGs are just like everything else I do. If I would feel the need to hide it or be ashamed about, it would probably be the wrong thing for me to do.

But I'm a very private person and don't usually talk about any of my interests to people I don't know well enough or who don't share the same interests. I will talk about RPGs in the hobby store and about our cats at the vet's but not to any random person on the bus.

Water Bob

Adventurer

They would never cite D&D as the reason they let you go. They would try to legitimize the reason. But, you'd know the real reason.

Sunglar

Explorer
Not ashamed at all! I am a geeky game, true and proud. I constantly post about it in social media, I blog about games, participate in activities to promote games locally (Puerto Rico) and I tell people about what I do and how much fun it is. I am lucky to have very rarely experienced a negative reactions. I had a very supportive family who encouraged my hobby and I always approach talking about games positively with non-games, describe the game in terms that are familiar to them and only invite those who ask about it to play, I don't try to "push" my game...

primarchone

Explorer
Hi!

After reading the whole thread it's interesting to see how some professions really do look "ill" at certain interests.

I can give you some insight as to things in medicine. I'm a doctor. Multiple sub specialties, board certified, the whole nine yards.

It would be an understatement to say that mentioning you play RPG's or even video games for that matter is not only frowned upon, but depending on your specialty could end your career...

Some doctors, especially the older ones (which unfortunately hold the reigns of authority, department chairs, medical directors, etc), think if your spending your free time in ANYTHING but reading medical journals or otherwise improving your knowledge base you are not committed to medicine and are thus a bad professional.

When your training it is perhaps worse. Some training programs (especially hierarchical surgical related ones), such a revelation may put you on the receiving end of being cut out, or worse not being able to get a positive recommendation for future training or license applications, which can pretty much end you before you even start.

Heck, even the patient-doctor relationship can be jeopardized if in candid conversation you let slip you like slaying dragons in your spare time. Patients don't seem to be able to jive that I can play at being a pretend elf and diagnose your serious illness competently.

Its not hard to see why I would not only hide it, but also actively deny I would play RPG's.

Granted with time, as younger people get into medicine and the authoritarian approach lessens, to my delight I have found fellow docs who "know how to cast spells". But there is still a long way to go before you can be open about it.

I'm pretty sure none of this is surprising to many of you, but I'll share something I found surprising to me.

Through the years, like many of you, I've gone to conventions, hanged out at the LGS and other such venues where people that share our same interests hang out.

I was kind of bummed out to find that when I was with people talking and sharing about the hobby, generally having an engaging enjoyable conversation and the discussion wanders into real life things, and I mention I am a doctor, I could see the "wall" visibly shut down the conversation. Heck, I've even had people say "your joking, right?" Incredulous that a doctor could play RPG's.

Of course that is not everyone, I would say probably not even most of them. But I found it ironic that some of my medical colleagues would "shun" me for playing such a game and at the same time someone whom plays RPG's would find it awkward to talk to me about RPG's because of my profession.

I admit I find the irony pretty funny. :)

Primarchone

Aeolius

Adventurer
But I found it ironic that some of my medical colleagues would "shun" me for playing such a game and at the same time someone whom plays RPG's would find it awkward to talk to me about RPG's because of my profession.

So, no rolling for Cure Serious Wounds in the middle of surgery, then? Gotcha.

Remove ads