• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ashamed of being a Gamer?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It would be an understatement to say that mentioning you play RPG's or even video games for that matter is not only frowned upon, but depending on your specialty could end your career...

It wasn't always that way. One of my Dad's co-workers- another MD in the Army hospital at Ft. Riley, but not one of his buddies- was actually the designer of a game back in the early 1980s. And it wasn't a secret.

Upon further reflection, though, it could also be more a reflection of the military culture being more acceptable of the hobby than the general populace, even among the medical staff.

Last edited:

primarchone

Explorer
It wasn't always that way. One of my Dad's co-workers- another MD in the Army hospital at Ft. Riley, but not one of his buddies- was actually the designer of a game back in the early 1980s. And it wasn't a secret.

Upon further reflection, though, it could also be more a reflection of the military culture being more acceptable of the hobby than the general populace, even among the medical staff.

Hi!

I completely agree with you about the armed forces being more accepting. I was in the naval reserve during med school (the navy in fact paid for my schooling and I would go on active duty every summer), and I was very happy with the large amount of people in the military that not only new about D&D, but played. Doctors, nurses and everything in between.

I have often wondered why the military was more open to RPG's than civilian society. I still can't come up with a reasonable theory, but I'm glad it is that way. :)

Primarchone

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have often wondered why the military was more open to RPG's than civilian society. I still can't come up with a reasonable theory, but I'm glad it is that way.

Pet theory: it's the foundation RPGs have in war gaming. IOW, they started it!

Argyle King

Legend
I am not at all ashamed. I've had discussions about games with fellow gamers in public places. Gaming is a part of my life in much the same way other people watch football on a Sunday; play poker, or participate in other hobbies.

As others have said, when I was active duty military, I found that a fair amount of soldiers are gamers -or are at least open to the idea of gaming. The first campaign I ever played in was actually a Rifts campaign which took place during time I spent in Serbia on a UN mission.

S

Sunseeker

I'm more like the first two you mentioned. I don't openly talk about my gaming, much less any of my nerddom unless someone brings it up first or catches some reference I might have tossed out. I'm not ashamed of it persay, I'm just aware people don't think highly of it and most people just don't "get it", so it's not worth the trouble of answering the inevitable "Sounds dumb, why don't you go out and get a job/party/drink/get laid like a normal person?"

Vegepygmy

First Post
If it was found that I play rpgs, I'd be out of a job and lose my reputation over it, so I keep my mouth shut and let my coworkers know I live a boring life with my wife.
Man, that sucks. I work for a District Attorney who happened to mention during my job interview that he was a D&D player. Now my Wednesday night group plays on the conference table in our office!

(And I don't shout it in anybody's face, but I certainly don't try to hide the fact that I'm a gamer.)

Water Bob

Adventurer
After reading the whole thread it's interesting to see how some professions really do look "ill" at certain interests.

I can give you some insight as to things in medicine. I'm a doctor.

Yep. And, I think our professions also influence much of the company we keep. From the OP, with my core group of seven, we've got a Financial Advisor (broker), an Office Manger, a Hair Salon owner, an owner of a painting company, two grocery route salesmen, and a freelance computer tech.

The one most liberal with allowing anyone to know that he games? One of the route salesmen.

The four that actively deny it and even lie to their wives about gaming? The broker, Officer Manger, other route salesman, and the painting company owner.

The two that don't advertise but will own it if outed? The Hair Salon owner and the freelance computer tech.

I don't know if age has anything to do with it. I know I was more likely to talk about it in my 20's than I am today. I recently asked the painting company owner why he lies to his wife about gaming. I mean, gaming is a very inexpensive hobby. You get tons of fun for your entertainment dollar. And, you're certainly not out doing anything that can get you into trouble as can sometimes happen at a bar or when playing pool or darts or the like.

It's good, wholesome, extremely fun, entertainment.

So the answer from my friend came, "I'm a 46 year old father of two. My wife is going to lose respect for me if she learns that I'm gaming. She just won't understand."

Well, there you have it.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
I work in business as a financial analyst, so this is a big deal when I'm dealing with budgets and managing financials. To say I play video games is to invite scorn for being "lazy". The IT dorks can be into video games, because it's related to "compooters and schtuff." If it was found that I play rpgs, I'd be out of a job and lose my reputation over it, so I keep my mouth shut and let my coworkers know I live a boring life with my wife. Managing people's projects is serious business and they don't want geeks.

Even before my career got "serious", I never was really into letting people know about my geek side. Playing D&D went from being "scary and losing-your-soul" kind of game to "Haha! Loser! Move out of your mom's basement!" game so I didn't want to have to deal with that either.

Huh! I worked as a commodities analyst for a large multinational before starting my own company. My current DM is one of my former coworkers from there. No one there ever had a problem with us playing D&D so long as it wasn't on company time. All that mattered was the results we put up, not what we did outside the office.

kitsune9

Adventurer
Huh! I worked as a commodities analyst for a large multinational before starting my own company. My current DM is one of my former coworkers from there. No one there ever had a problem with us playing D&D so long as it wasn't on company time. All that mattered was the results we put up, not what we did outside the office.

I found you pit traders a different breed than us financial analysts. I use to work for a hedge fund and I agree that results is really all that mattered to those guys. However, I work for doctors and manage the financials of their research projects. A good deal of them never owned a TV because they work 80 - 100 hours a week practicing, researching, and teaching. To say that they are not into anything remotely pop cultured is an understatement. However, I've been in this particular business managing the financials for scientific research for 12 years and it's been pretty much the same--no geekness allowed.

The last company I worked at dealt with research involving the Veterans Affairs and everything we did was scrutinized and had a bajillion security checks into our life's history. If anything came up which could put a negative light about the work being done at the VA, that person was gone. My coworkers were a very bland bunch and I caught a lot of flack for just being into video games.

I know Silicon Valley finance guys in which their game companies have a double-standard. Everyone else can zip around in flip-flops, bring their dog, play video games, or decorate their office in some kind of zany fashion, but my finance buddies know there's an unspoken law that if they want to play, they will invite a great deal of scorn and eventual dismissal.

I wish I was an options trader instead, but that ship has sailed.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
I sort of have an unfair advantage, I suppose, since my job is completely about shouting out to the world about gaming. Then again, I got this job by being "loud and proud" so, I suppose it worked out for the best. ;)

On a more serious note, I AM ashamed that some of you have to hide part of who you are for fear of losing your profession. Hopefully, our hobby can someday gain enough mainstream acceptance that that won't be necessary anymore.

Remove ads