"Ashley Madison" website hacked

Oh... that's right. Well, these are people that can more easily be blackmailed into paying some money to keep things quiet. I can see why hackers would want to go after them.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
The biggest issue with this crime, is you don't have to have used it to be a victim. They could say they got your information from the site and ruin your life as you try and prove you were not a cheater!

The biggest issue with this crime, is you don't have to have used it to be a victim. They could say they got your information from the site and ruin your life as you try and prove you were not a cheater!

Where would they get your information from if it wasn't from this type of site? Even if they get your information, you can just call their bluff.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Where would they get your information from if it wasn't from this type of site? Even if they get your information, you can just call their bluff.
but would your "better half" believe you, if they were told? I can see spam getting generated...your spouse's name was found in the Ashley Madison database, you can find out more by clicking here...

but would your "better half" believe you, if they were told? I can see spam getting generated...your spouse's name was found in the Ashley Madison database, you can find out more by clicking here...
Why wouldn't she? Sitres like that cost money right? If for some reason she didn't believe me, I'd tell her to go waste her time looking for the charge on one of my accounts. I wouldn't be bothered by it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

I'm 100% you're right, and that spam will include such emails in the future. And, like most spam, the vulnerable will fall for it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Why wouldn't she? Sitres like that cost money right? If for some reason she didn't believe me, I'd tell her to go waste her time looking for the charge on one of my accounts. I wouldn't be bothered by it.

Spam is targeted at vulnerable people (that, incidentally, is why it's all so badly written - it's designed to filter you out). The people who fall for the email - the ill, the elderly, other vulnerable groups - are the same people who will fall for the whole scam. If you aren't decieved by an obviously poorly written email, the scammers have no interest in spending time and effort trying to lead you down a garden path you're never going to fall for.

Ryujin

Legend
I'm 100% you're right, and that spam will include such emails in the future. And, like most spam, the vulnerable will fall for it.

And it won't even be spam. It'll be mass emails with links that point you to sites, that will target multiple exploits at the computer of the person gullible enough to click.

Spam is targeted at vulnerable people (that, incidentally, is why it's all so badly written - it's designed to filter you out). The people who fall for the email - the ill, the elderly, other vulnerable groups - are the same people who will fall for the whole scam. If you aren't decieved by an obviously poorly written email, the scammers have no interest in spending time and effort trying to lead you down a garden path you're never going to fall for.
Exactly. I wouldn't be bothered by this at all. So, when hoE asked if my better hald would believe me, it wouldn't really matter. She wouldn't believe the spam email to start if it's badly written. It really isn't much of a problem.

Dioltach

Legend
Jealous people are jealous. They can't help themselves. Any suspicion will feed their jealousy, their jealousy will feed their suspicions, and nothing you can say or do can really end the cycle. If a jealous partner hears about the business with Ashley Madison, and then sees an e-mail claiming that your details have been stolen, no amount of logical reasoning or bluffing will make them believe otherwise.

Remove ads