D&D 5E ASI's at Character Level instead of Class Level

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
They would. The fighter feat at 6th is a bonus feat for the fighter reaching 6th level which falls outside the standard feat gain of 4, 8, 12, 16, and 19. Personally, I don't see this as a massive boost, the PC would have the exact same amount of feats as an 8th level fighter but they were more easily able to multiclass to fit their character concept without feeling penalised by missing out on an ASI or feat. I think I prefer the freedom that this houserule gives players in character creation but it seems many people on these boards hate multiclassing in general so will hate any houserule that allows them to keep their standard ASI/feats.

To be fair I saw very little "hate" for the houserule. I saw a lot of people uncomfortable with calling this not a houserrule but simply an "interpretation" of the existing rules.

L0vSUI4.jpg

Last edited:

I'm also all for restricting multiclasing to only 2 classes, and making one have to take at least 2 levels for every 3 in the other class. But that's also another house rule.

To me level dipping only pays off early (and not something I think about due to my 2e upbringing), so I never saw it as a huge problem. But if I had ASIs based on character level, I'd probably use it with those 2 house rules.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I'm also all for restricting multiclasing to only 2 classes, and making one have to take at least 2 levels for every 3 in the other class. But that's also another house rule.

To me level dipping only pays off early (and not something I think about due to my 2e upbringing), so I never saw it as a huge problem. But if I had ASIs based on character level, I'd probably use it with those 2 house rules.

Warlock for eldritch blast is the only class I feel pays off dipping into early. There's a case to be made for a 1 level cleric dip for armor but you lose so much its arguably not worth it. Warlock dips lose much less than any other IMO.

neogod22

Explorer
Just thinking this through-

Fighter 6 / Rogue 10.

You get the base class ASIs (4, 8, 12, 16).

Then the Fighter ASIs (4, 6)

Then the Rogue ASIs (4, 8, 10)

So you either get 9 ASIs, or, if the DM creates a bonus only table, 6 ASIs. Sweet!
The thing is, at lvl 16, fighters already have 6 ASIs, and Rogues have 5. So this combination, doesn't really give advantages over the single class, only the multiclass combination vs the way it's supposed to go which would only be 5. So, really not a big difference.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

droid6689

First Post
In what world is multiclassing too penalized? It is supposed to be a balance choice. "Do I go to 7 in this class for X class feature or just go 8 for the ASI". Without using RAW not only are you making multiclassing even more OP but you also create essentially dead levels which removes choice

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Warlock for eldritch blast is the only class I feel pays off dipping into early. There's a case to be made for a 1 level cleric dip for armor but you lose so much its arguably not worth it. Warlock dips lose much less than any other IMO.
There's the Magic Initiate feat, any class can learn Eldritch Blast by picking that feat. Level-dipping into Warlock could get one access to the Agonizing Blast (the +cha bonus one) Eldritch Invocation which takes 2 levels to get.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Though I clearly see the problem with ASI's having been used to fill 'dead levels' they (other than the fighter & rogue's 'bonus' asis) still seem like part of the general level-scaling of 5e.

Like proficiency, cantrip damage, save DCs, &c.

If proficiency worked more like BAB in 3.x, that would clearly cause issues (even if you only got the 1st-level +2 once, because you only bump proficiency 4 times in 20 levels, if you don't line up the break-points, you fall behind the curve), even if the levels you get does bumps were cleared to make them otherwise 'dead.'

Oh, or consider a 3/3/3/3/3/3/2 character. +6 prof, 20 HD, a 9th level slot (there aren't quite enough full-caster classes, you'd only be 17th, I believe), cantrip damage the same as a 20th level character, but no ASIs, at all.

I guess it just depends on whether you think ASIs are part of the way 5e scales - just because every class gets at least 4, and all classes get them on those same 4 levels - or as gravy.

Remove ads