Ask Me Anything with Karyn Logan (Kiraya TiDrekan)

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Thanks. Yeah the gender won't be the char's main focus at all, it plays a part mainly in the fact that s/he is a ballet dancer trying to get male parts (no pun intended) in the performances. But that's just part of the background story. Who knows where the adventure will take us though.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
What effect (if any) do you find on in-character gender expressions of your NPC's (and PC's!) in world with creatures like changelings and doppelgangers and effects like polymorph and change shape? Do you think effects like these make the gender expression of various characters more open to question or easier to change?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
This gets in to the arena of diversity of gender expression in the real world as well. Very often, folks assume that there are only two options - male or female. Folks also assume that the ultimate goal of a transgender person must be to completely change from one gender to another.

This isn't the case. Gender is expressed in a huge range of variations. Likewise, each transgender person decides, based on their own needs and comfort level, what aspects of themselves to transition. For some, hormones and surgery are the way to go. For others, hormones are enough. For still others, it is simply a matter of saying to themselves (and perhaps others) that they are another gender.

There are also intersex, genderqueer, and genderfluid individuals, all of whom express gender in ways outside the binary.

To bring this back around to fantasy gaming and your questions, magic can certainly have a huge influence on gender expression for characters, but it greatly depends on the availability of magic in the setting. In Eberron, for example, I imagine that there would be easier access to gender-morphing magic. In Dark Sun, however, gender variant individuals would have few options. However, even magic has limits. It may not be able to accommodate a gender queer character's vision for their body. It may be "all or nothing" and therefore not the best option for some transgender characters. The cultures of the setting also warrant discussion. A culture that is paranoid about shapeshifters like changelings and doppelgangers is also going to be suspicious of people using polymorph magic. A great many fascinating stories could arise out of such situations...if the players and GM are open to exploring that sort of thing.

On a side note, for transgender and gender variant folks out here in the real world, fantasy roleplaying can provide an outlet for our frustrations. Being able to fantasize about playing a character who can magically change gender, or even playing a cisgender character of our true gender, can be liberating and cathartic.

Leif

Adventurer
Kiraya,

It suddenly occurred to me that one of my favorite RPG authors of all-time is transgender. I speak, of course, of the Judges Guild author formerly-known-as Paul Jaquays. I can't remember whatr her name is now, but at one time I knew it. Her "Dark Tower" is quite possibly the greatest D&D scenario ever written, and Haffrung Helleyes is almost surely the greatest NPC ever created.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Kiraya,

It suddenly occurred to me that one of my favorite RPG authors of all-time is transgender. I speak, of course, of the Judges Guild author formerly-known-as Paul Jaquays. I can't remember whatr her name is now, but at one time I knew it. Her "Dark Tower" is quite possibly the greatest D&D scenario ever written, and Haffrung Helleyes is almost surely the greatest NPC ever created.

Her name now is Jennell Jaquays. She's a friend (well, Facebook friend) and inspiration to me. :)

Leif

Adventurer
I actually have never fully played "Dark Tower", but I have, or had, a number of Jennell's Judges Guild modules, and they are, without exception, very creative and a total joy to read and play. I used to look for her products in the Judges Guild catalog almost to the exclusion of everything else. Just about the only other thing they did that was as good was the City State of the Invincible Overlord.

MAndersen

First Post
I find the LGBTQ+ community fascinating. I remember being fascinated by Paris is Burning, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, To Wong Fu, and RuPaul's autobiography, "Letting it all Hang Out" (I love that title . . . ). Anyhow, the one thing I always wonder is:

How do you broach the subject of your true nature with family and loved ones?

redrick

First Post
You DM a bunch of games simultaneously. Do you have a hard time focusing, creatively, on all the different games? Do you ever find yourself ignoring one game (or more), because another game is just more interesting to you, and sort of going through the motions with it? Do you have any tricks for overcoming this and making sure that all the games feel fresh for you, and get a fair share of your time?

Have you ever overcommitted and felt the need to close a game that was going well, just because you couldn't give it the energy it deserved anymore?

Do you game in-person regularly? (As well as PbP, which I know you do a lot of just based on this site!)

Remove ads